Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #16
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,580
I'm close to LAX and have a warehouse with tools. If you need help picking up the bike or a place to store, please PM me.

Good on you for living the dream!

As said before, we like you folk from the other side of the equator, even if you talk funny.

Southern California from a scooter;
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941261
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:27 PM   #17
canoeguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
You know I commented once but several people have mentioned it and I want to say that Americans really do like Aussies.

I think maybe it is because our personalities are similar. Or perhaps we have always been loyal allies and fought beside each other more than once. But probably it is just because we like the way you talk!
canoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #18
frozenpoet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Don't worry about guns, unless you want to go shooting.

Get a national parks pass, for one low price it can get you into lots of places worth seeing.

Get ready for the "you call that a knife? This is a knife!" jokes, and people that think you drink Fosters.

Plenty of us on the east coast also.
frozenpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:52 PM   #19
UKbri
Just a Rider

Oddometer: 163
Get yourself an 'America the Beautiful' pass at your first National Park. It's about $80, lasts a year and gets you and another person into any NP free.
When you enter a new state, get to your nearest 'Chamber of Commerce' or visitors center and get yourself a free state map. They are very good and show all the small back roads. I did 49 states and 12 Canadian states/Provs and never paid for a map once. They have free coffee too and good local info.
UKbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:53 PM   #20
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 295
Don't trust any country where they drive on the right and the toilets flush clockwise. Let's see, you come from a country where 12 of the 20 most dangerous critters live and you want to come to USA ....R U NUTS?

great place to visit but, you won't want to stay....have a great time we take pesos!
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:20 AM   #21
TassieMark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Dates?

Hi Dude,
do you know when you start? Perhaps we might meet if we are in the vicinity.
Last year I rode from Florida to Alaska via southern states and west coast. This June/July/August I ride from Alaska to Florida via northern states and east coast. I bought the bike in Florida, half price of Aussie price.
Cheers,
Mark
TassieMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:50 AM   #22
jeff the chef
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
First let me say sorry for all the problems that you have had in your life. I am sure this trip would help ease some of the pain you have experienced.

Now onto the traveling the U.S. I too live in Australia and am an American Citizen. I have done two tours of the states in the last six years, ridden over 45,000 km in the states and Canada and have been to all the states west of the Mississippi including Alaska.

Before you start booking your trip are you aware that the U.S. government will only give you a three month tourist visa? It would be good if you could apply for an extended one before you book all your flights etc. My wife (girlfriend at the time) was rejected for an extended visa on our first trip over.

Some of the highlights of our last trip had to be Moab area of Utah for off road riding. Arkansas for the scenery, great food and twisting roads, Wyoming for the national parks and Alaska for the beauty, isolation and some great adventure riding.

Good luck with your trip and PM me if I could be of any help with your plans.
jeff the chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:20 AM   #23
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
The west has some fantastic riding and superb national and state parks. Look through the ride reports here and see what looks interesting. Blue Ridge Parkway and Crooked Road Music Trail are my personal backyard, good scenic riding without crowds.

All the regions offer something so you can't go wrong. Concentrate on enjoying yourself.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:07 AM   #24
Ianuk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
It sounds just like my last relationship..

The only difference is I'm buying a house to rent out to help fund more of my travels. The last two years have been solid work. My reward is a months tour of the West Coast in September. With plans for the TAT and or the TCAT in 2015.

What I did is pin a big map of the USA on the wall and mark it with all the places I'd like to see and visit.. Then just plan my route linking up all the dots. I'll post my route up closer to the time. Then make full use of the tent thread..

I can't wait..!

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
-the Dalai Lama
Ianuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:38 AM   #25
105suz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
El duderino I'm in northern Ohio, if your coming thru and need a place to sleep or work on your bike give me a call. Looking forward to the ride report.
105suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #26
smj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Hey El - you get to Colorado look me up. Drop me a PM and if you like - I can help you put some plans in place for this state (Colorado), and be happy to show you a few spots. I think we can even come up with a place to bunk if you need to get some work done, or just a day off for a little R&R. I know a bit about Wyoming, Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico... Been in all of them. Butler Maps puts out some great maps - look for the back country discovery routes for a mostly off pavement route that goes from southern Arizona to northern Wyoming. (I think they are working on Montana) Their standard map is great as well! Also look up information on our national forests... These are extensive, lots of places to camp for free. National Parks are not free. Be very, very, very careful with any fire you make. I suggest a stove as most places by the end of summer put fire bans in place. If we have a dry summer, the woods can be like tinder boxes! Anyway, drop me a PM if you wish to talk any details over. All 48 states in 1 year, maybe 49 states if you run up to Alaska - you will still be able to find spots on the map that you didn't have time to see... Cheers!
Old 03-06-2014, 03:10 PM   #27
ibgary
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Sounds like a great trip. I've traveled a lot in California, Arizona, Utah, Nevada & Colorado, which is where I now live. My must see short list is going north on the west side of the Sierra Nevada, Zion in south west Utah, Grand Escalate Staircase. If you get to Colorado send me a message. I can put you up and give you some local beer and a steak off the barbie.
I spent about a week in Brisbane when ii was in the Navy. I was treated like a royalty.
You'll love it. Get out of L.A. quickly a safely.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:34 AM   #28
dogtiredRAT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
PM sent.
dogtiredRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:27 AM   #29
TheProphet
Zen Rider

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtiredRAT View Post
PM sent.
Talk to Dogtired. He just did a "round da' USA" trip and will have mucho tips, advice, etc.

Plenty of good folks coast to coast that'll help you out.
TheProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:46 AM   #30
FBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Sounds like you are in for a well deserved, but fantastic trip!
The Great Lakes are a must see. If you are in the WI area I would be happy to show you around, and have a shed full of tools if you need to do any bike work.
94 Ducati M900
1974 dt 125
FBR is offline   Reply With Quote