Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2014, 02:27 PM   #526
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
it has been a common practice to ditch the side stand switch as it was failing during a rain or for ant other reason,just one less switch to deal with ,my clutch I wanted to ditch but suzuki decided to make it a primary support for the fueling to ecu communication.?
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:25 AM   #527
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
it has been a common practice to ditch the side stand switch as it was failing during a rain or for ant other reason,just one less switch to deal with ,my clutch I wanted to ditch but suzuki decided to make it a primary support for the fueling to ecu communication.?
I'm not doing anything ground breaking with that idea. It needs to be done though because luckily it's just an easy relocation unlike the Suzuki you had trouble with. Methodically I'm going over the whole bike and changing what I can and what needs doing
Old 03-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #528
Cabriolet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltyParty View Post
I'll look at that next weekend when I get a bit more nerve.
If you have the nerve to explore the wiring towards the front end of the bike, I would be interested in seeing if you can locate a break point in the loom with a male to female cable connection that carries the feed for the headlamp main beam.

I must be the ying to your yang. You are happy hacking bits off your bike that you don't like and changing things to the way you want them to be. I am the total opposite, I still bolt bits onto the bike, but I always want them to be totally removable. I have no idea why, I must have been dropped on my head as a baby.
I want to wire up a feed for a relay to control some extra lights, but I don't want to cut the loom. At all, not even a scotchlok (wire tap or whatever you call them).

If you find a connection point in the loom that contains the feed for the high beam, then throw a picture up so I can try and identify the type of connectors I would need to order to make an interconnecting loom with a tee off to control a relay for my lights.
I have not found anyone else that has had their bike in enough pieces to find the relevant connector.
Keep up the good work, I can't wait to hear about your next adventure on it.
Cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:31 PM   #529
loxsmith
Good ol days my arse

Oddometer: 421
Installed an Eibach spring 0800.225.1000 today ie 1000 pounds per inch or about 18.5kg rating (more than double the stock rating)
Race Tech valving to suit, what a difference

Can't call it the Pogo Stick anymore
Old 03-25-2014, 01:00 AM   #530
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
What cani say

TIGER TIGER BURNING BRITE THAT ROCKIE TUMBLE LOOKED FUCKING SHITE

Unbelivable guy ,and there's me thinking i'm fortunate going to Georgia (Black Sea)

Phil
Old 03-25-2014, 01:45 AM   #531
Ant23
Wantings Enduroness

Oddometer: 20
I don't really reply to threads on ADV, I'm more of a lurker. But there are a few threads that stand out in the greats, for instance

colebatches
the dude with the beemer that looks like johnny five in Iceland
radioman
luke and nick
round the world on a drz
the ducati guy - antihero
noah

and ive added you guys to the list. top stuff. loved it. and kudos for sticking with a smashed up bike. look forward to seeing it finished.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:07 AM   #532
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabriolet View Post
If you have the nerve to explore the wiring towards the front end of the bike, I would be interested in seeing if you can locate a break point in the loom with a male to female cable connection that carries the feed for the headlamp main beam.

I must be the ying to your yang. You are happy hacking bits off your bike that you don't like and changing things to the way you want them to be. I am the total opposite, I still bolt bits onto the bike, but I always want them to be totally removable. I have no idea why, I must have been dropped on my head as a baby.
I want to wire up a feed for a relay to control some extra lights, but I don't want to cut the loom. At all, not even a scotchlok (wire tap or whatever you call them).

If you find a connection point in the loom that contains the feed for the high beam, then throw a picture up so I can try and identify the type of connectors I would need to order to make an interconnecting loom with a tee off to control a relay for my lights.
I have not found anyone else that has had their bike in enough pieces to find the relevant connector.
Keep up the good work, I can't wait to hear about your next adventure on it.
I'll take a look for you. The wiring harness is covered in a black plastic from a point around the ignition coils to somewhere further along and I won't be taking that bit off, but past that around the headlight some wires were damaged in the accident so it's covered in tape. I'll take a look for you and report back.

I'm hesitant to do anymore to the wiring loom in terms of cutting. I had to walk away before any drastic action was taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxsmith View Post
Installed an Eibach spring 0800.225.1000 today ie 1000 pounds per inch or about 18.5kg rating (more than double the stock rating)
Race Tech valving to suit, what a difference

Can't call it the Pogo Stick anymore
Wow yours is almost double mine. Mines an eibach 0800.225.0550 (550 pounds or 9.8kg) with race tech valves as well. No idea how it feels yet but when it's all together the shock guys will measure the sag and adjust as necessary.

I can't find any concrete info anywhere on the rating for the stock spring but I saw it mentioned somewhere it might be a 550. I dont know if that's right or not. The guys took my weight and all that jazz so I doubt they took out a stock spring and replaced it with the same rated one.

How are you finding yours? You have a pic? What weight, riding style and luggage have you set it up for?

I told the guy I'm 78kg and mostly ride with minimal luggage off-road but there will be times I do two-up with slightly more luggage. I don't need to set it up for a trip like we did before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILinFRANCE View Post
What cani say

TIGER TIGER BURNING BRITE THAT ROCKIE TUMBLE LOOKED FUCKING SHITE

Unbelivable guy ,and there's me thinking i'm fortunate going to Georgia (Black Sea)

Phil
is that a song or you just made that up? Thankfully it wasn't burning bright though, not quite.

Ahh Georgia is great mate. Crazy drivers and the country looks like it's been invaded by cows but otherwise it's a blast. Wish I could join you!
Old 03-26-2014, 01:26 AM   #533
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant23 View Post
I don't really reply to threads on ADV, I'm more of a lurker. But there are a few threads that stand out in the greats, for instance

colebatches
the dude with the beemer that looks like johnny five in Iceland
radioman
luke and nick
round the world on a drz
the ducati guy - antihero
noah

and ive added you guys to the list. top stuff. loved it. and kudos for sticking with a smashed up bike. look forward to seeing it finished.
wow thanks.

Have you read the Borneo equator expedition? That's the thread of all threads. When that guy rides it's not him moving, it's the world rotating on its axis under the force of his tyre.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:37 AM   #534
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,605
Quote:

Why don't you use the plug under the tank that Triumph kindly put there to supply their accessory fog lamps?
Old 03-26-2014, 07:04 AM   #535
Cabriolet
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Why don't you use the plug under the tank that Triumph kindly put there to supply their accessory fog lamps?

A very good point.
I already have the Triumph accessory lights. I switch them on and off as I see fit.
I also want even more light when on main beam. So I want use some additional lights (mounted to the Hepco and Becker tank bars). I donít need any external switches to control them, I only want them on in addition to the main beam, and go off when using dipped beam.
I want to supply a relay with an input signal when the headlamp pass light trigger switch is pressed or the Hi/Lo beam switch is in the high position.

I donít want to chop/splice/solder the loom. Thatís just my own irrational OCD.
I guess there is a main plug on the headlamp assembly, but it might have lots of wires going though it or be a unique connector? I was wondering if there was another point on the loom with a headlamp related signal wire passing through a smaller more common connector. Maybe from the handlebar switchgear? Or the instrument cluster for the dash warning light? Or a signal to the ecu perhaps?

If someone has removed the loom from the frame for themselves they must have unplugged all the connectors and might be able to offer advice as to what they look like and where they are situated on the frame.
I can then try and source a matching male and female connector and make a simple pin-for-pin pass through loom with a spur off to control my relay.

I was just trying to save having to strip my bike down twice, once to find the connector and then rebuild it so I can use it to get to work and back while I try and find a supplier for the relevant connector. Then strip it down a again after making the loom to fit it.

If no one knows where these connectors might be or what they look like, I will eventually have to go looking for them myself, but was just trying to take advantage of the totally exposed wiring situation as this one gets rebuilt from the ground up.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:43 PM   #536
loxsmith
Good ol days my arse

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltyParty View Post
Wow yours is almost double mine. Mines an eibach 0800.225.0550 (550 pounds or 9.8kg) with race tech valves as well. No idea how it feels yet but when it's all together the shock guys will measure the sag and adjust as necessary.

I can't find any concrete info anywhere on the rating for the stock spring but I saw it mentioned somewhere it might be a 550. I dont know if that's right or not. The guys took my weight and all that jazz so I doubt they took out a stock spring and replaced it with the same rated one.

How are you finding yours? You have a pic? What weight, riding style and luggage have you set it up for?

I told the guy I'm 78kg and mostly ride with minimal luggage off-road but there will be times I do two-up with slightly more luggage. I don't need to set it up for a trip like we did before.
The Race Tech dealer mentioned that the stock rating was 8.9kg so mine is more than double the stock rate. The suggested new spring rates were between 18 and 22kg, the 18.5kg spring was in stock at Race Tech so that was what went in
The gross load inc rider and pillion is about 200kg. Preload is now set to about half and rebound is spot on. Measurements were taken unloaded, loaded and loaded with both of us on the bike. This guy knew what he was doing
It's never going to handle like a Track bike but it's miles ahead of what I was fighting before
Old 03-27-2014, 03:08 AM   #537
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,605
Quote:

A very good point.
I already have the Triumph accessory lights. I switch them on and off as I see fit.
I also want even more light when on main beam. So I want use some additional lights (mounted to the Hepco and Becker tank bars). I don’t need any external switches to control them, I only want them on in addition to the main beam, and go off when using dipped beam.
I want to supply a relay with an input signal when the headlamp pass light trigger switch is pressed or the Hi/Lo beam switch is in the high position.

I don’t want to chop/splice/solder the loom. That’s just my own irrational OCD.
I guess there is a main plug on the headlamp assembly, but it might have lots of wires going though it or be a unique connector? I was wondering if there was another point on the loom with a headlamp related signal wire passing through a smaller more common connector. Maybe from the handlebar switchgear? Or the instrument cluster for the dash warning light? Or a signal to the ecu perhaps?

If someone has removed the loom from the frame for themselves they must have unplugged all the connectors and might be able to offer advice as to what they look like and where they are situated on the frame.
I can then try and source a matching male and female connector and make a simple pin-for-pin pass through loom with a spur off to control my relay.

I was just trying to save having to strip my bike down twice, once to find the connector and then rebuild it so I can use it to get to work and back while I try and find a supplier for the relevant connector. Then strip it down a again after making the loom to fit it.

If no one knows where these connectors might be or what they look like, I will eventually have to go looking for them myself, but was just trying to take advantage of the totally exposed wiring situation as this one gets rebuilt from the ground up.
I wired my extra lights (2 of http://ledrider.com/shop/?model_number=LR4 ) in with one of these http://ledrider.com/shop/?model_number=BD1 It has a main beam bypass so that you can have the lights on dim (or off when the switch is just past "on") but when you switch to main beam they come on at full brightness. I soldered the bypass wire into the main beam inside the LH switch cluster. Maybe take a piggy back off the headlamp relay for the supply.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:11 AM   #538
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

I didn't get a chance to work any more on the wiring harness other than plug a few plugs in, but did blacktiger give you the answer you need?

This weekend I'll play with it more and might even get it fired up. Time is against me as I want to take it to a rally on the Easter weekend and there are still some critical things to do like wire in the light, fit the brake lines and mount the high fender.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:14 AM   #539
Cabriolet
Adventurer

I guess I just need to start unplugging things myself until I find something I can work with. I'll post my results in the tiger 800 accessories/modifications thread. Cheers.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:55 AM   #540
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Quote:
I guess I just need to start unplugging things myself until I find something I can work with. I'll post my results in the tiger 800 accessories/modifications thread. Cheers.
This is the plug at the headlight.

Do you have a copy of the wiring diagram to see where these go? If not PM me and I'll send it to you. A signal is going to the ecu, instrument panel, switch assembly and a relay. The only accessible plug is the one coming from the switch assembly or in the assembly itself. I don't think there is any easier solution than that but take a look at the diagram and let me know what you need photos of and I'll do it.