ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #16
Trail bandit
Random adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
LC8 carries oil in both the sumpa and the oil tank.
So, there is nothing to be concerned about with the amount of oil that dropped out as pictured. A cupful would have been a fraction of what's there.
Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:14 PM   #17
Young-Gun
KTM Tragic

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Motocross View Post
I decided to try one of CJDesigns custom water pump shafts instead of the current replacement from KTM. He built this after his frustration with the LC8's water pump issues. CJ's hasn't been around for that long yet but it sounds promising. Here's the link: CJDesigns Water Pump Shaft

Again, I've chosen a stainless steel oil filter over the paper filters. If a water pump seal fails, water leaks into the engine oil which will effect the paper filters and not allow the oil to flow causing low oil pressure. When this happens, some people just stop and remove the paper oil filter then continue riding until they can do the water pump seal.
Hey Joe, any feedback on the long term results of the above two changes you elected to make?
KTM 625SXC - Adventure bike (project)
GPS and other items for sale
Young-Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:46 AM   #18
hotrdd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Interested in knowing your results
hotrdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:47 PM   #19
andrew fenn
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Wink lc8 oil/water issues!

Just another note on this woeful topic!
I have a 2004 model with 75000km as we rode from the UK to Cape Town a few years back.
It started to use coolant in Namibia, roughly around the 38000km mark. While I was aware of the water pump being an issue I buried my head in the sand and topped up as needed, only needed it every couple of weeks. As there was no emulsified oil at changes I assumed to was a slight weep on a head gasket...
We shipped to Auzzy and rode the lap around, no probs but used more coolant.
Anyhow last week the oil light was on and cam chain noise. when I googled it I found Joe motocross article BIG thanks to him!! he described the situation exactly and the pic of the filter was identical. On stripping the motor the impeller shaft was well rooted (aka worn to buggery). Also scarily the pick up for the ignition pulse was hanging off it's bracket, so that was replaced. We called KTM in Perth Australia for replacement parts to be told all back order, two to twenty four weeks delivery!!! Cant agree enough with Joe, how can KTM ignore the problem and then not even keep the parts in stock! Thank f%#@ I carried all the parts with us from the UK. where incidentally they were off the shelve.
Also the fuel pump failed 5km out of Tennant Creek, fitted my new one, rode off an hour later. BUT kept the old one and later took off the end cover, cleaned to points with carb cleaner and it worked fine.

iI'm a mechanic and never have I had a filter fail to water contamination. But most vehicles I work on have a bypass.

Great bike, love it but could do with mods at the factory with feed back from their customers and surly the dealers too?

Check our blog for our ride so far:- www.rimorterra.wordpress.com
andrew fenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:08 PM   #20
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew fenn View Post
Just another note on this woeful topic!
I have a 2004 model with 75000km as we rode from the UK to Cape Town a few years back.
It started to use coolant in Namibia, roughly around the 38000km mark. While I was aware of the water pump being an issue I buried my head in the sand and topped up as needed, only needed it every couple of weeks. As there was no emulsified oil at changes I assumed to was a slight weep on a head gasket...
We shipped to Auzzy and rode the lap around, no probs but used more coolant.
Anyhow last week the oil light was on and cam chain noise. when I googled it I found Joe motocross article BIG thanks to him!! he described the situation exactly and the pic of the filter was identical. On stripping the motor the impeller shaft was well rooted (aka worn to buggery). Also scarily the pick up for the ignition pulse was hanging off it's bracket, so that was replaced. We called KTM in Perth Australia for replacement parts to be told all back order, two to twenty four weeks delivery!!! Cant agree enough with Joe, how can KTM ignore the problem and then not even keep the parts in stock! Thank f%#@ I carried all the parts with us from the UK. where incidentally they were off the shelve.
Also the fuel pump failed 5km out of Tennant Creek, fitted my new one, rode off an hour later. BUT kept the old one and later took off the end cover, cleaned to points with carb cleaner and it worked fine.

iI'm a mechanic and never have I had a filter fail to water contamination. But most vehicles I work on have a bypass.

Great bike, love it but could do with mods at the factory with feed back from their customers and surly the dealers too?

Check our blog for our ride so far:- www.rimorterra.wordpress.com
All due respect, but you're been riding around for 37,000km using water and you assumed it was a head gasket? And you just continued to ride for years? And you're a mechanic?

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 01:54 AM   #21
Frog uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Don't see the WP as a major problem. It's easy to replace, well known and documented issue, carry a spare shaft and seal if your in a big trip, they take up no room at all.

I've got 45,000 miles up. Did the seal and shaft at 25,000 miles as a precaution. Had a little bit of grooving but still worked fine. The replacement had a different shaft and seal materials, not planning on Looking at it for a while yet.
I think the casting sand and low spec shaft and seal materials are to blame on the early bikes. A good system flush and the upgraded parts seem good for at least 30,000 miles, so don't see it as a massive issue really.

Now, 1190's eating engines in 5,000 miles, due to shit airbox designs, that's a whole different story.
Frog uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #22
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,433
Hmmm, first motor went 54,000 miles with zero issues until I over torqued a bolt that eventually broke. Second motor now has 38,000 miles with no issues. Stock water pump on both.
Old Yesterday, 08:48 AM   #23
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
Hmmm, first motor went 54,000 miles with zero issues until I over torqued a bolt that eventually broke. Second motor now has 38,000 miles with no issues. Stock water pump on both.
What bolt did you over torque to toast an entire engine?

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM   #24
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,433
Clutch bolt. The stud broke off while riding at a brisk pace and rubbed on the clutch cover inducing large amounts of aluminum into the motor. I tried flushing it multiple times but I kept getting aluminum pieces. Traded the old motor and put a low mileage 06 motor in it.