Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2014, 04:33 PM   #31
Jdeks
Departed

Oddometer: 934
So much for being my last post.

I'll play devils advocate to my own post:

-Most of us aren't always riding at competition pace.
-Crash bars DO provide excellent protection sliding along smooth tarmac (ive tested this too ) which is where most of us are more likely to have an accident at any sort of serious speed.
-Crash bars do work great on slow/no speed drops in offroad conditions.

But that said, in my experience, the CF guards do the same thing.

I think crash bars on this bike have an over-rated reputation , because firstly, they work really well on all the other bikes and people just assume they work on everything, and secondly, there are a lot of people out there who buy them, ride mostly tarmac and have the occasional lo-speed drop that probably didn't need bars in the first place (except to protect the paint, which is all they really cared about anyway) and report back that they're fantastic. Please do note: I'm not mocking anyone in saying this - indeed, this was me for the first two years I had the bike.

I should however, disclose:

- Without a decent plastic film, CF guards will abrade the pain underneath.
- I did manage to spring a leak in one of my tanks with the CF guard on - by hitting wildlife at 80mph. I hadn't mounted the guard properly after the last service (paint padding was too thick), and the impact tweaked one of the thread inserts for the upper fairing, causing a slow leak. Cost me $40 to have it plastic welded closed. I have no doubt that if I'd had crash-bars, they would have caught the roo and took me down, instead of glancing off.

I got mine from these guys: http://www.carbon-performance.com/in....php?kat_id=57

Fairly sure if you're outside the EU you can deduct 18% for VAT. They're a multi layer carbon-kevlar blend, which is really important. The Kevlar gives it the abrasion resistance, the CF gives it the rigidity and strength. CF on its own is actually rubbish in this application.

As for side-stand relocators, I just rolled over 100 k and I still dont have one. I consider myself extremely lucky I haven't cracked my case. I've just had bad timing and missed the production runs. I've finally got one on order. I just simply haven't had the patience not to ride while I waited for it. I would absolutely recommend one. Take the money you save from the CF guards and you should have almost enough.

Jdeks screwed with this post 03-27-2014 at 04:40 PM
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote