Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #46
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,166
I chose std over R because I know that 90% of my riding is going to be on pavement, and thought the balance favored better on road handling over a marginal off-road suspension gain.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:58 PM   #47
ColdC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Because my Husqvarna TE 630 was a better offroad/onroad bike than my KTM 990 . . .

. . . and I wanted a better onroad/offroad bike than my KTM 990.
Don't get me wrong, I loved my 990, although I had my gripes, & was kinda sorry to see it go but I know this was the right decision for me & I'm very excited about picking up my 1190 std. I looked at the R, but knew right away it would not be the best choice for my needs.
I rode my 990 with a group of good riders also on 990s until I bought the Husqvarna. The Husqvarna will ride all day, not that I'd want to, at 70 mph+ & I have racks and soft bags for longer trips. The 990s would EASILY pull away from me on the road but never really waited for me. On the dirt, I always ended up waiting for the 990s to catch up. I started riding my 990 more & more on the street with the occasional off road.
Last Spring I went up Trail Canyon in Death Valley on the Husqvarna & thought I could have nursed the 990 up the trail but it would have been NO fun. I had traveled a steady 75 mph from Pahrump NV to Beatty, through Titus Canyon, up Trail & Galena Canyon & then hauled it on the road back to Pahrump. This ride in a day during that Spring's particular trail conditions just wouldn't have been possible on the 990. That's when I decided to sell the 990.
I still wanted a KTM adventure but the R would have just been more of the same for me. The standard is perfect, wicked fast and still able to do all of the aforementioned ride in a day except Trail Canyon.
I intend to commute, travel 2-up, go camping & exploring, & scare law abiding citizens on the 1190 & still ride it on fire roads, jeep trails with the occasional single track. The Husqvarna will be my ride for trips that are a little more adventurous and with less road. If I was going to do the TAT I would choose the Husqvarna, if I was riding to Alaska or the end of South America, the 1190 standard.
One thing that always bothered me about the 990 is that the fueling was always going to be a little jerky, but with careful throttle control I got used to it. Gas mileage also sucked & I had an axillary tank to deal with it.
So, these are just a few reasons that I sold the 990 & chose the standard over the R. I'll go ride with the Rs on my standard and if it's a more difficult dirt ride, I'll ride my Husqvarna and wait for the Rs to catch up.

ColdC screwed with this post 03-26-2014 at 09:16 PM
ColdC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:24 PM   #48
todaystomsawyer
GNARLY ADVENTURER

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanningOz View Post
Yes. I have the same problem on the R
Check the tire pressure, my SE does it when I have too much air in the front tire. I keep mine at 32psi.
todaystomsawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:00 PM   #49
soggysandwich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills View Post
Whoa, Whoa, whoa... the interwebs are no place for logic...
classic !.....Truer words were never typed
soggysandwich is offline   Reply With Quote