Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
kreattur OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
France - Cyprus and more ?

Hi folks.

After hours and hours dreaming while browsing ADV, here is my little contribution.

It's my first "real" trip, on my on, for a long time. I have 3.5 months of holidays, and the plan is to do something like :

1. France - Spain - France - Italie - Croatia - Bosnia - Serbia - Turkey - Cyprus.
2. then not sure, but if I feel for it up north to Sweden / Norway and back home.

To do that I just bought an used '03 650KLR. I like it ! :) I've been working on it (and learning to work...) so I did quite stupid things, I hope it will forgive me !
The main things I did so far: doohickey with torsion spring, central stand, crash bars. I try to install a plug for a GPS, i put it parallel to the front bulb (advised by a mechanic) but it killed a fuse, so I have to relocate it. I'm thinking of pluging it directly on the battery with a fuse and a switch. I'll do that around Toulon, in France, next week.

ANYWAY !

Here is time for departure from south of Paris:

On my way to Bordeaux, by the N10 near Poitiers: I discover alternative roads :)

After a night at my cousins' (thanks!) I'm on my way to Zaragoza, looking for the Pyrenees on my way. But before, lets ride though the Landes. I like these landscapes :)

Soon after that, the mountains are slowly appearing...

And then you climb up to the Spanish border, where landscapes are outstanding...

And finally, taking back national roads to reach Zaragoza to be on time for aperitivo !

Tomorrow, back in France to visit some friends/family, and get some stuff on the bike done in Toulon.

I'm not to good in talking, neither in pics, so we'll see how this report looks like !

See you
kreattur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,037
looks good.
more please.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:11 PM   #3
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
Great beginning! Always love a Europe report, the more so if there is riding in beloved France! I love the roads in a region between Bordeaux and Paris where there is a gently rolling landscape and the roads are often quite straight running up to the crest of s small fold, then down the other side and repeat, and even better where the tall trees (and usually some houses) line the road....on a bright sunny day I like it very much, even though no twisties. Looking forward to reading/seeing the rest of your report. Thanks for taking the time to post it!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:58 PM   #4
IVAN38
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
hello

thanks for sharing

bonne route ...
Old 03-22-2014, 06:22 AM   #5
kreattur OP
Adventurer

Hi folks !

Thanks for your attention. Here some more then :)

So once I Zaragoza I stopped for the weekend to my friend Sergio's. What a nice place !
I was surprised of the dryness of Spain when you come from France. Dry landscape, dirt, sand, it's like a desert compare to France and its green fields !

Inside the city there is quite a lot of green though, and nice parks:

But the most important thing, is as I already said, aperitivo and TAPAS ! My friend and me end up in a very nice place:

If you see this logo, get inside the pub !! :)

The next day, walk around some other parks:

The Pilar is a beautiful palace downtown:

So after a few days of really nice sightseeing and food (and also nice local beer called Amber), it's time to leave, cross the Pyrenees again and reach Toulouse.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:39 AM   #6
kreattur OP
Adventurer

If you get the chance, take the A-1604 going to Boltaña. It's outstanding. On the first part, you're riding along a beautiful river

The water looks perfect..

Then, the road gets altitude, and suddenly you meet some friendly horses, hanging out freely in the moutains:

They're cool. They don't bother chilling on the road neither, so I got a couple of surprises coming out from turns. Be careful, they are not really scared or neither hurry to clear the way...

Before Boltaña, nice views again:

And finally, border between Spain (in the background) and France...

After that, the weather wasn't really nice, so I just rode to Toulouse without too many pictures, and none of interest. The next day, I went to Arles. I really like that region of France. The Camargue gave me a nice sunset:

After a day off in Arles, back on the road to Toulon. Cloudy and fresh weather, but nice twists. Especially the Col de l'Espigoulier. I have to say, it is quite AWESOME to ride:

That's it for now. I'm stuck in Toulon for a few days, waiting for my tires to be changed. I also have to settle for good the GPS pluck on the bike, change something on the coolant system, and the petcock.

Hopefully in the beginning of next week I will be able to hit the road for good, into the "wild"...
Old 03-22-2014, 08:29 AM   #7
FJRCraig
WooHoo!

Oddometer: 39
Excellent!
Old 03-22-2014, 03:56 PM   #8
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
In for your RR. Would like to do Europe some day on a motorcycle, and a river tour in France.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:27 AM   #9
kreattur OP
Adventurer

Hej

I spent a few days chilling in Toulon (actually, I'm still there).

You can go to a close mountain to enjoy a view over the city, and the road to get there is really nice :

as the view once on the top:

Downtown is a mix between everything. Some things are nice, some are not that nice. I do like the colorful buildings, giving that Mediterranean look :

Since I was still waiting for my tires, I wet for a short trip in Corsica, the island of Beauty. And sun, at least it should... but not for now

The road are awesome though. Really nice to ride... but once again:

Rain. So I haven't took so many pictures that day.
Bonifacio is a must see place !

After that pouring rain I ended up in Ajaccio for the night.

kreattur screwed with this post 03-29-2014 at 06:07 AM
Old 03-29-2014, 05:46 AM   #10
kreattur OP
Adventurer

Next day, the sun was back ! :)

Along the road are many abandoned houses:

I like to have nice views when i look through the window !

If you get the chance, take the D81 between Ajaccio and Calvi, playing with the west coast of Corsica? Outstanding views, road, turns... really, you get busy on that road.

Piana:

turns turns turns... it gets really hard to keep an eye on the road !

See the road on the background ?

Congratulations, you reached Calvi : See and snowy peaks....

Old 03-29-2014, 06:04 AM   #11
kreattur OP
Adventurer

Even if the landscape are...... woarf !! if i can say, you should be aware of surprises on the road:

I met cows, dogs, cats, goats, and even pigs ! There not scared nor hurry to clear the way. Fun to see but dangerous, and sometimes surprising ! ;)

Nice landscapes again...

In Corsica, some residents would like to be independent toward the continent:

Some of these "independentists" might send hard messages :

Time to get on the boat again. I hope they won't need to use the anchor... :

After a not too bad night on a bench (cheapest way to travel), nice sunrise at Toulon port :

That's it for today.
I got my new tires, they will be changed tomorrow, then direction Italy toward the Alps. See you ! :)
Old 03-29-2014, 06:26 AM   #12
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
Excellent update! Thank you! Those Corsican crags are amazing++!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote