Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2014, 08:55 PM   #31
RSL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,331
1. Keep an eye out for deer in the Hill Country.

2. Is your windscreen a stock mount, or Madstad? How's it for quiet and no buffeting at highway speed?

3. Gotta do New Braunfels and river float, Prinz Solms Hotel.

4. GOTTA do Salt Lick BBQ west of Austin near Dripping Springs. Not bad riding thereabouts.

5. If heading west, gotta do Big Bend, Alpine, Fort Davis, observatory

6. GOTTA do Barton Springs in Austin, Oasis at Lake Travis, El Arroyo and La Reyna mexican restaurants in Austin, see state capital building, UT campus (best in the universe), Mt. Bonnel, Elizbet Ney Museum, and I could go on forever. If you like that girl, take her along for all this. Of course, if you do, you won't be leaving for long...

RSL screwed with this post 03-23-2014 at 09:04 PM
RSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:38 AM   #32
SuttoFL OP
Fueled and ready

Oddometer: 67
Greetings from beauuutiful Roswell, New Mexico! Tuesday morning I headed out of Austin and finally started moving west again. After spending the better part of the day on Highway 337, which is an incredible road, I made it to Del Rio, TX on the Mexican border.

http://youtu.be/muTCXAAi8Nc

Wednesday was more of the same, laying down miles. The scenery has been beautiful..completely foreign to this Florida boy. The wind has been murderous but I'm getting used to it. Yesterday I attempted to leave Roswell...got about 45 miles out of town and realized I was burning through fuel way too fast. The nearest gas station was too far ahead of me so I had to turn back to Roswell. I'm sure a number of profanities were spilling out of my helmet for a while. Anyway, I decided to just stay here last night and today I'm going to head toward Albuquerque.

I appreciate all of the tips, offers for tent space, etc. I may take some of you up on them as I roll into your respective necks of the woods!
Old 03-28-2014, 08:58 AM   #33
SteveTheLocal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
The video set up?

What cam? The audio from the helmet without the seemingly obligatory wind noise is a nice change. The remote too looks handy. ...and I like the side mount instead of the clown top mount. What is it?
Thx.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:53 AM   #34
tjzondrz
I'm older now.

Oddometer: 709
I'm in.
If your route brings you thru the Lehigh Valley area in eastern Pa.in the future,send me a pm.
I have a large yard,garage,tools,fire pit,beef and Cognac.
tjzondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:47 PM   #35
hondated
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Thanks

Thanks for posting Sutto as I am really enjoying reading your postings and watching the videos. Hopefully over here in the UK we will be getting some of that good weather you have experienced very soon. Sorry to also read of the lose of your dog and anyone who has ever lost a pet will understand how you feel.
Anyway to close on a positive note enjoy your travels and make the most of the freedom you have from work whilst you can.

Oh don't forget to plan for your retirement as I really didn't and it soon come around. I am now time rich and money poor but the freedom from the shackles of work is just great.

Looking forward to your updates.

Regards

Ted UK
hondated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:58 AM   #36
SuttoFL OP
Fueled and ready

Today was easily the most challenging day I've ever spent on a motorcycle. The ride from Albuquerque, New Mexico to Flagstaff, Arizona was about 325 miles of CONSTANT winds in the 30+mph zone. More than once I was almost blown completely off the highway. Several times I was blown out of my lane, no matter how hard I leaned into the wind. It was absolute insanity and one of the scariest things I've done in recent memory.

That said...I made it! I checked into a hotel and quickly had a couple of beers to take the edge off. Since then I've basically been relaxing in the hotel...no energy to do anything else. I did have an excellent Indian dinner at a place around the corner from my hotel.

Anyway..I spent the past weekend in Albuquerque. I needed a couple of days to just relax, get some rest, take care of laundry, etc. I went out on Saturday and checked out some of the filming locations from one of the greatest TV shows of all time...Breaking Bad.

http://youtu.be/KJrvJv0iQso

I'm still not completely decided on the plan for tomorrow. I want to go spend some time at the Grand Canyon but the forecast is calling for really cold weather and I want to camp there so that doesn't sound too appealing. The forecast also calls for more crazy wind to the west of here tomorrow and I can't handle another day of that so I'm leaning (no pun intended) toward heading down to Phoenix. A friend of mine told me Tucson is pretty cool and that's nearby so that seems like a decent option for now. I'm starting to think I may head there and then on to California and do the Canyon and surrounding areas in a few weeks. We shall see.

As always, thanks for joining along. Hope everyone is doing well!

Old 04-02-2014, 01:14 AM   #37
SuttoFL OP
Fueled and ready

Had a kick ass night camping just outside Phoenix last night. What a great part of the country!

Here's the video from yesterday and last night.

http://youtu.be/xf7XT018ElM

Tonight I'm in Sedona, which is staggeringly beautiful.

Hoping to do some hiking tomorrow around here so there should be some nice eye candy coming up soon!
Old 04-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #38
msprygada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Cool that you are having a great time. I am jealous of your trip but thankful that you are taking the time to share your trip with us.

Keep the post coming.

Ride safely.
msprygada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #39
HPTuner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Really enjoying this! Stay safe!
HPTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:35 PM   #40
RiderRick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Subscribed!

I am enjoying your posts and pictures, Thank you for taking me along!

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.

http://riderrick.wordpress.com/
RiderRick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:27 PM   #41
kiwibolt
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderRick View Post
I am enjoying your posts and pictures, Thank you for taking me along!
I'm enjoying this- I don't know where you're headed next, assuming towards the Grand Canyon, but if you get a chance, take 89A South from Sedona through Jerome. Jerome is a trippy little town and the road heading into and out of Jerome is a fun one.

Enjoy and ride safe.
kiwibolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:26 PM   #42
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Oddometer: 560
This would be my dream come true...no route planned, no time constraints, just wandering at will. I'm in for the RR. Enjoy the crud out of it for me.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:43 AM   #43
SuttoFL OP
Fueled and ready

Greetings from beautiful Carlsbad, California! Man, it's been too long since I updated..lots to catch up on. Last I updated I was pondering doing some hiking in the Sedona area. Yeah, that happened. And it. Was. Gorgeous.

Devil's Bridge

I had already determined that I wanted to spend more time in the area so I booked an awesome little cabin for the night in Cottonwood, AZ..just down the road from Sedona.

Spent a great night just relaxing at the cabin. There was a grill there so I cooked up a nice steak, had a bottle of Cabernet and just recharged the batteries after an awesome day.

From Cottonwood I headed toward Jerome. Thanks for the tip on that one, kiwibolt, that ride was FANTASTIC! Video coming...

Spent a few hours in Jerome taking in the crazy vibe there. It's a really cool little artist community with some great art galleries, restaurants and wacky stores selling anything you could possibly imagine (and many things you couldn't.)

I'm going to have to pick this up later. The wifi in this McDonald's is awful and the pics are taking forever to upload. Lots to come. I am in the process of uploading the latest video and it covers all of this and a lot more. I put quite a bit of time into this one. Hopefully I can get it uploaded by tonight if I can find some decent wifi.

Wait...I can't post this without at least one bike pic...

Old 04-06-2014, 03:31 PM   #44
SuttoFL OP
Fueled and ready

http://youtu.be/XxVKNB4kn3o

Old 04-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #45
MiloBramble
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Perfect RR for me...

This will be a great report to follow. You are doing exactly what I want to do and on the bike I will do it on. I have a 2005 650 VSTROM. I plan on doing a "Tour the Country" ride myself very soon. Subscribed with much enthusiasm. Be safe and have a great time.

Sorry I missed you coming through AZ. Pics look very familiar.
MiloBramble is offline   Reply With Quote