grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,220
beautiful pics....
davesupreme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:56 AM   #17
gavo
Slacker

Oddometer: 1,678
Terrific photos brought back many memories especially the restaurant in Koh kong (i liked that town) and some of the Laos pics.
Will be doing something similar in the first half of next year but with at least 3 months up our sleeve.
gavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:37 AM   #18
Falang OP
Singapore

Oddometer: 107
Thanks. If you liked those Koh Kong photos, there are more in the other ride report from two years ago (the link is at the top of the first page).

Gavo, how are you planning to arrive for three months from Queensland? Ship to Singapore or KL and ride up? If the former, give me a shout.

I'm beginning to find it a bit of a drag to spend a week of fairly hard riding each way in Malaysia and Thailand on mostly the same roads to get to the empty roads of Cambodia and Laos, unless it's broken up with two or three day stays at the many beach towns and diving resorts along the way. This makes the trip up and down a pleasure but it takes even longer. Unfortunately, it is only possible to bring bike into any of these countries easily if it is accompanied by the rider (and even then it is not always possible if you are riding in a group--a Singapore BMW Club group of riders was turned away at both Veun Kham and Poipet only a few months ago), so shipping the bike up and flying up is not practical.

Therefore next year, for a change, I might look into renting a 250cc dirt bike in Cambodia and separately (of course) in Laos, in order to have (1) more time to ride where I want to ride and (2) less breakdown risk. A local rental bike is more likely to have a complete breakdown than the BMW, but it would not have to be shipped to Bangkok at considerable expense and difficulty to be repaired. I wouldn't have the pleasure of riding a big bike and being able to pass the cars and trucks and dirt bikes like they are standing still when the road is good, although knobby tires sure would be nice when the road is bad, which is often in Cambodia. If anyone has some good contacts and experience with renting there, please share.
Falang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:26 AM   #19
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,050
Thumb

Thank you for sharing this very nice ride report.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:35 PM   #20
Falang OP
Singapore

My wife can't understand why I take the risk. But as the days go by I feel forty years fall way from me.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:25 AM   #21
Theshantha
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Nice report. beautiful pictures.

thx for sharing it with us.

Good luck..!
Theshantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:56 AM   #22
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,278
I've ridden in Cambodia twice...there's something magical there, with the people, isn't there? What a great place to be...
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #23
Falang OP
Singapore

This may explain why I didn’t feel normal after a week motorcycling on doxycycline antimalarials: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/598409. "During exercise serum drug concentration … was significantly higher than the corresponding values at rest."

Apparently exercise increases the blood concentration of this kind of antibiotic, and third-world motorcycle riding is of course sustained hard work, day after day.

Malarone next time!