User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2014, 10:02 PM   #211
airchuk
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
We arrived at the campground in Carmacks at the same time as 3 guys all on identical full dress Harleys. All 3 were pulling fairly large utility trailers. Despite the fact that we arrived together, parked next to each other, and set up camp next to each other, they never said a word to us, never made any eye contact with us or did anything to acknowledge that we even existed on the same planet as them.
I ride a Harley......... When I went up to Alaska on my Hog I found the same thing! Harley riders were the MOST unsociable. Everyone else I ran into was very nice and friendly. I was on the Alaska ferry from Juneau to Prince Rupert for three days and the other 4 Harley riders never even blinked when I said hello.

You guys had an amazing ride.
airchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:31 AM   #212
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by airchuk View Post
I ride a Harley......... When I went up to Alaska on my Hog I found the same thing! Harley riders were the MOST unsociable. Everyone else I ran into was very nice and friendly. I was on the Alaska ferry from Juneau to Prince Rupert for three days and the other 4 Harley riders never even blinked when I said hello.

You guys had an amazing ride.
I did a local ride called Charouleau Gap, and it finishes in Oracle, AZ. It's a tough, but very entertaining ride. About 30 miles long, took me and two buddies a few hours. Oracle happens to be a usual staging point for riders. We got to the one gas station in Oracle, and there must have been 30-40 guys on Harleys in the parking lot. Every single one of them was too busy bitching that the gas station didn't have premium gas to say a word to us.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:11 AM   #213
dbern
outsider

Oddometer: 90
So what is the percentage of dirt roads on this trip? Looking at doing something like this but hate the long stretches of long flat straight
pavement.
dbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:10 PM   #214
ravinerat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Fantastic read. Guess this is another trip I must do. Was wondering about mounting your Wolfman over your Rotopax. Did you have to get extention straps? I had problems mounting my Rotopax under my Wolfman.

I'm in the process of maybe picking up a 250 cc for my son. It will really be for me to do some trips on.

RR
Old 07-27-2014, 04:38 PM   #215
ManLee OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbern View Post
So what is the percentage of dirt roads on this trip? Looking at doing something like this but hate the long stretches of long flat straight
pavement.
It was about 50/50 for us but we skipped a few dirt sections to make up some time. Even if we hadn't there are a couple days each way of mostly pavement. The Cassiar Highway is pretty much a full day of pavement but its a nice ride. Not flat and straight at all and the scenery is great. A day on the Alcan is pretty boring on a 250 though.

Get Big Dogs tracks. He probably did as much dirt as possible.

2012 WR250R
1999 1100GS
ManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #216
ManLee OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravinerat View Post
Fantastic read. Guess this is another trip I must do. Was wondering about mounting your Wolfman over your Rotopax. Did you have to get extention straps? I had problems mounting my Rotopax under my Wolfman.

I'm in the process of maybe picking up a 250 cc for my son. It will really be for me to do some trips on.

RR
I used these extensions sold by Wolfman.

http://wolfmanluggage.com/products/rotopax-strap-kit

Glad to see a year later people are still reading this report. Wish I was up there again this year.

2012 WR250R
1999 1100GS
ManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:49 PM   #217
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManLee View Post
Glad to see a year later people are still reading this report. Wish I was up there again this year.
Nice read, great pics, thanks for sharing!

dmottv is online now   Reply With Quote