Looking forward to more.

Thanks.

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:49 PM   #47
Turborob OP
Minimalist.

Oddometer: 619
Quick update – we left the Austral towards Chile Chico on one of the most brilliant roads I've had the pleasure to ride. We left here as if we kept going south, we would only have to double back as the 'track' from O'Higgins is push-bike territory. So, for us, this was the end of the Austral.

Unfortunately, just as the day began, Kath went in some gravel and became unstuck. Just bruising to her, and a little damage to the bike (mirror, pegs & brake lever bent).

Onward we went, albeit slowly. There was, again, a fierce wind, but thankfully mainly at our backside. It was also raining.

We were cold and weary by the time we rolled into Chile Chico, and got a bed to rest Kath's not-so-nimble body. The next day, we looked around Chile Chico – the weather had done a 360.

After a couple of days rest, we went again into Argentina and caught this little fella.

We were now on Ruta 40, heading south. Did I say it was windy?

Found this camp spot out of the wind – great price, and quiet neighbours.

Since Kath's accident, her bike was running poorly, and chewing through fuel. Serious tailgating was, at times, required.

Then, despite our economical efforts, we were thwarted by a petrol station running out of gas. But, the police rang a guy who sold his stash for a cool 250% mark up. We were glad we weren't filling up a car.....

We then got to El Chalten and did a few touristy things.

It was good to use the legs again, and the views were, literally, unreal.

Outta there!

More tourist, and went to Puerto Morino (spelling could be off) – one of the world's few advancing glaciers.

It was pretty bloody spectacular, and when chunks fell, even small ones, they sent a thundering boom to all within hundreds of metres.

On the way to the eastern side of Argentina, we spoke to a dude with this bike. It was around 6'0 tall.

Saw more animals, and made it to the eastern coast!

From there, it was a swift ride to Punta Arenas.

Where, there was a beer festival.

To be continued......5500k down!

Turborob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:20 AM   #48
Turborob OP
Minimalist.

I've been pretty short of words lately – so here's a bunch of excuses; lack of time, lack of WiFi when camping etc, trying to do outdoor shit opposed to sit on a computer etc. But, I now have the perfect excuse to bother to write more; procrastination from uni work. I've stupidly chose to study whilst on the road, so we'll see if I'm able to sneak a 'P' whilst having intermittent internet access, no printed materials and not too much time to dedicate to it.

Back to the ride......Punta Arenas was as far south as we were heading, despite being a few hundred ks from the 'end of the world' (Ushuaia). Elisa's man was flying into Punta, and they were continuing on to Ushuaia. She bought him a spanking new Honda Storm, so they both had a little red 125 to ride. So, that was the end of our journey together, and two nongs with very little Spanish would head off north together, while Elisa and Tom would head south.

Whilst in Punta, Kath got her bent footpeg bent straight for the pricely sum of $2. Interestingly, we were told not to pay more than $20, as they might try to rip us off. But, I think my near-hobo look comprising of old clothes, unshaven and general un-keptness are starting to pay financial dividends.

While loitering in Punta for a few days, we rode out and saw penguins.

And dawdled in a national park.

Our, Kath & Rob's, next stop was Torres Del Paine National Park, outside Puerto Natales. The 240k ride there saw us get 60km on reserve, as we fought an amazing headwind the entire way. The final 60ks were at 50km/h, in a full racers tuck, with Kath slipstreaming me.

Then, we rode a back-way into Torres Del Paine along a great road, following a lake.

We needed extra gas for the return trip.

We rode around the park for two days, with rain the first day and pretty reasonable weather on the second.

Everything is pretty dear; we self catered all food and camped.

This mob, 'camp patagonia' which we mistook for a potential campground, wanted $200 USD a night.....

Here's a few general pictures from inside the park.

I tried to give Kath a glacier, but my ego was smashed. It never left the ground.

At the end of two days we returned to Puerto Natales, ready to catch a boat back to Puerto Montt. From there, we wanted to look at Argentina's Ruta 40. Exciting times!

Better do some uni stuff!

Old 03-29-2014, 03:10 PM   #49
Detlef in Oz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Great Stuff, loving it

BMW R1100R 2000, BMW F650GS 2004
KLR250 (retired), DR250 (retired), KE175 (retired)
My Bike Trips http://picasaweb.google.com.au/detlefinoz
Detlef in Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:12 PM   #50
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Seattle?????

Let me know if you make it this far North. We have room for you to stay and all the tools you'd need for any service work on the bikes.
4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:04 PM   #51
Travelbugblues
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Where ya at?

Rob, you have a lot of catching up to do! Where are you guys now? Spending too much moneyz in Chile? I've spent only $600 this month in Argentina, and have been eating delicious food here in Argentina!

Miss you guys and ride safe!
Travelbugblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:14 PM   #52
Turborob OP
Minimalist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbugblues View Post
Rob, you have a lot of catching up to do! Where are you guys now? Spending too much moneyz in Chile? I've spent only $600 this month in Argentina, and have been eating delicious food here in Argentina!

Miss you guys and ride safe!
Trying hard to catch up - stumbled upon WiFi at the beach! We're a bit ahead of the RR, but don't want to spoil it. We made $1000 USD last more than 20 days in Argentina, which is awesome for us. Chile, well that's an entirely different story! Hopefully within the next 2 weeks we'll be in Bolivia.....

4corners14: Thanks for the offer. I think we'll make it there eventually, but who knows if it will be on these bikes. We're moving slower than anticipated, and yet moving faster than we want to! Time will tell......
Old 03-29-2014, 08:52 PM   #53
Kawi-Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Rob,
You have to make it on those bikes. Mom taught me to finish what you started!
The only time you leave on one bike and return on another is when you trade one in. Love the RR!
91 ZX 11
78 Z1R
Kawi-Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:57 AM   #54
gavo
Slacker

Oddometer: 1,784
Subsribed love the pics, Hasta luego
gavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:43 PM   #55
Turborob OP
Minimalist.

Boat ride – nothing riding related, then into Argentina after picking up our new (giant) tent.

Here we stayed a couple of days. I did the valves on Kath's bike and they were tight, which I thought was strange. Also, couldn't get the alignment 'viewers' open, so just had to guess TDC. Both Chile and Argentina's coins would either bend, or the middle would pop out when trying to open them up! Seeing as the bike's still going, it must be ok.

We then went to Bariloche, for more pesos, then hit the road north, on Ruta 40. Went up a road called 7 Lakes, which was as good as it sounds. Some good picnic spots.

We then began belting, at about 60km/h, up Ruta 40 – here are some pictures.....

Camped here:

Then, the next night in an even better spot, after some hunting to get out of the wind......

Slept in a creek bed.

Was a nice night, but still pretty windy – creek bed made a wind channel me-thinks. I had a go at cleaning our cooking stuff with sand, to conserve agua, and was surprised how successful it was.

Back on the road....

Vistas.....

Past more and more shrines – Argentines love them. They're in the most out of the way places, and often little houses are built to hold Jesus figures. They give the figurines cigarettes, money and water bottles.

On & on.....

Most of Ruta 40's paved in this region, but there's still sections of interestingness.

As we got further north, houses started to be made of mud.

We stopped in a town, and got a funny feeling – the campground was empty and the guy with a hostel waited around 10 seconds before saying it was full. So, to a creek bed we go. We camped without the cover on the tent, and were treated to some of the clearest skies we've seen. Upon waking, it was great to have a look around, and again drift away.

Upon waking, proving we're nongs, we found out our sleeping bags were soaked without the tent's cover. Oh well – 2 months!

North....

Gauchos are always on the roam, usually with a few dogs. These ones were herding horses and donkeys.

The best push-bike seen – he's got it right. But, given it's 2 stroke, I do wonder if he would have been better off just buying a small moto. If anyone cares about figures, my economy has been around 3.3 per hundred and 5800ks cost about $280.

Stopped in a town we can no longer recall, and went down to a river.

Pretty good-look'n.

We got to Mendoza, and realised there was a 'road of 365 curves', which sounds pretty irresistible. 2 days in the city was enough for us, and we were keen to depart. A lady said the road was closed, so you go up there at your own risk. I was happy with this – in Australia they would close the road, and a muppet could still probably sue someone if they cocked up on the road. Anyway, it was a steep one.

Up and up – around 1000m rise in 20km.

Bugger – Kath couldn't even fix this one.

70km + and now need to U-turn........

Old 04-06-2014, 12:16 AM   #56
Woody2627
Skinny Decaf Latte Thanks

Oddometer: 905
A shame you had to turn around, that's a great road, but you got the best of it. A little further on you get to see Aconcagua, the highest mountain in the world outside the Himalayas. Great report, I love South America.
Woody2627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:07 AM   #57
knvduhon
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Dude a different color would be nice it's impossible to read your ride report

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
knvduhon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:47 AM   #58
mississippimadman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Great report and pictures
mississippimadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:16 AM   #59
Toadady
Push'n parts

Oddometer: 3,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by knvduhon View Post
Dude a different color would be nice it's impossible to read your ride report

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
change your forum skin to crash, scroll down it should be there
Old 04-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #60
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadady View Post
change your forum skin to crash, scroll down it should be there
Unless you're using Tapatalk. Hard to see the yellow letters.

"I’m lost. I’ve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote