ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2014, 05:26 PM   #286
Hoodis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Doe Mtn. is open. I bought a pass. ($60 per year, or $18 per day) But I haven't been riding there much yet. They don't have many technical trails yet (that I've heard of). Mostly easier two way trails. Even the tighter trails are two way. I'd planned on helping develop & clear motorcycle trails, but I'm not as excited about it now. (I was really disappointed that they are charging $18 for a day) I'll be happy to meet up & ride on Doe if anybody wants to sometime.

The main reason I haven't been riding there is because I have been riding on Stone Mtn., which is almost all steep technical riding, it's 1000' higher, has 10 times more trails, and it's only 15 minutes from my door. I'm always happy to show anybody the trails there too. Or I can give a list of the entrance roads if you'd rather explore it on your own, although it's a bit extreme to safely explore solo.
It is my understanding that there are several "Stone Mountains" in the general vicinity of Boone? May I ask where this particular mountain resides?

Thanks...
Hoodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:40 PM   #287
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 2,010
It's the TN/NC state line, between Boone & Mtn. City. Doe Mtn. lies between Stone Mtn. & Iron Mtn., they are all long ridges that run North/South.
GlennR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:13 AM   #288
Hoodis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Are you talking about NE or SW of Locust Gap? Cracker's Neck area on the TN side?
Hoodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:10 AM   #289
SidewinderX OP
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
Doe Mtn. is open. I bought a pass. ($60 per year, or $18 per day) But I haven't been riding there much yet. They don't have many technical trails yet (that I've heard of). Mostly easier two way trails. Even the tighter trails are two way. I'd planned on helping develop & clear motorcycle trails, but I'm not as excited about it now. (I was really disappointed that they are charging $18 for a day) I'll be happy to meet up & ride on Doe if anybody wants to sometime.

The main reason I haven't been riding there is because I have been riding on Stone Mtn., which is almost all steep technical riding, it's 1000' higher, has 10 times more trails, and it's only 15 minutes from my door. I'm always happy to show anybody the trails there too. Or I can give a list of the entrance roads if you'd rather explore it on your own, although it's a bit extreme to safely explore solo.
Glenn,
Do we need a tag for Stone Mt.?
Old 03-18-2014, 07:37 AM   #290
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

PMs sent
Old 03-24-2014, 06:49 AM   #291
SidewinderX OP
Hey, watch this!

I rode through the area a little Saturday morning. I saw trails leading everywhere off 67....
Old 03-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #292
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

67 runs between Doe & Iron Mtns. You can see the Stone Mtn. trails from 167, which runs between Stone & Doe.

I'm not sure which trails you saw from 67, but there is a lot of logging all the time up here, so there are trails everywhere. The tricky part is finding large tracts that all connect.

Btw, 167 & 67 meet in Butler, TN. I heard that the Doe Mtn. trails might eventually reach that intersection. That area is supposed to be very steep & technical, so I don't know if there will ever be an access point to the trails there or not, but it gives you an idea of the size of the mountain. The North end is right behind the shopping center with the Hardees, which "may" become an access point for gas & food.
There is an access point from a campground on Mining Town Rd, off 167.

A buddy & I hauled the ATVs & chainsaw to Stone Saturday. We opened a couple very steep long trails and discovered a few that I hadn't ridden before. They weren't rocky, but will still be quite a challenge on motos. I rode Sunday and my d/s tires didn't have a chance on those hills.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:35 AM   #293
SidewinderX OP
Hey, watch this!

OK. So I was rolling down 67 from Butler to Mt City. The trails were just past Butler on my right side. If I am following your topography, then as I travel toward Mt City on 67- Iron Mt is to my left, Doe Mt is to my right. Stone Mt is on the other side of 167 (which splits Doe and Stone..)..

App trail follows Iron Mt ridge top.... I think

The trails that I saw were kinda fresh. A few ATV track trails and a few bike only trails leaving out from Hwy 67. Possibly they connect to the Doe Mt trail system by locals who dont wanna pay the fee?? idk
Old 03-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #294
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Correct on all accounts.

I don't think you can see any of the trails on Doe from 67 (but maybe you can in some spots). You can see the prison from the Doe Mtn. fire tower. None (or almost none) of the OHV area is directly on Hwy 67. The official entrance & parking lot is on Harbin Hill Rd.

Daniel,
Are you still looking for a mountain cabin? There's a nice one for sale on Seasons Dr. (at the intersection of Bulldog Rd/Beaver Dam, and North Fork Rd.) It's surrounded by great trails & roads. Not too fancy, but not too shabby, no idea of the asking price.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:35 PM   #295
turtlemoye
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
That may sound like a lot if there are other places close by to ride but it's still cheaper than Brushy Mountain. It's $25 a day or $250 annually but does have bike only trails, all trails are directional, and they do have a motocross track and some facilities. Haven't been to Doe so it still may be over priced.

I'll be riding in Mt Rodgers this weekend but not sure if it will be Sat or Sun. I kinda wish I could hit Stone with you the opposite day. Might be too much this weekend but I'll get up there soon.

2013 Husky Terra

2013 Husky TE 511
turtlemoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:22 AM   #296
Skarsaune
lurker surfacing....

Oddometer: 12
Moving to Elizabethton (or thereabouts) in two weeks - really looking forward to exploring the area!
Skarsaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #297
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarsaune View Post
Moving to Elizabethton (or thereabouts) in two weeks - really looking forward to exploring the area!

Welcome to the area & ADVrider. Whatever you ride you're in for a treat.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:19 PM   #298
mcook0525
n00b

Oddometer: 29
Hickory area here. Just sold my WRR, but should be back on something in the next week..just gotta find something I like.
mcook0525 is offline   Reply With Quote