Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2014, 05:42 AM   #16
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso View Post
Aspirin? Good grief, find a doc who'll write you a prescription for some Percocet. It has about 12 million times more pain-killing ability than aspirin. Get a pill cutter and cut the Perky into 1.5 to 2 mg. pieces. For mild/medium /non-screaming pain, after ~20-30 minutes most of the pain will be gone for ~2 hrs.

Just don't take more and get hooked. Oh yeah, sell that KLR and get something smaller/lighter.
Or to further your drug habit(?)

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:31 AM   #17
Obi
2013 Multistrada GT

Oddometer: 16
...thats why my advice to people that start to ride is: buy a light and cheap second hand bike. You will drop it, so it better be light, and second hand cheap so it wont hurt your wallet that much when you brake something
But do keep riding...
Obi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:55 AM   #18
CONC OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thanks for all the great feedback. I had one shot at the bike so I went with the klr, wife may not ever let me get another. If I keep going down she may not let me out of the house. Thinking of taking a dirt bike course.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
CONC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:09 PM   #19
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
The KLR can definitely be challenging in some off road situations, I have dropped mine several times, but the more experience you get, the less it will happen. Just be sure that you have a good helmet, and quality boots/knee guards at a bare minimum. If one of those minor get-offs results in a broken ankle and several weeks laid up and not working, your wife will definitely try to stop you from riding. But if you keep bringing home the $, they seem to be a bit more lenient

And a riding course, or some good reading about off road technique is a good idea as well. I lucked out and found an old guy to ride with who was once an A class enduro racer, he gave me lots of valuable advice. But there is no substitute for saddle time. Keep on ridin.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:26 PM   #20
Gonzoso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Dude get crash bars!

It'll be cheaper in the long run than the damage you'll take without them.

I have a 2012 and I wouldn't take it off road without crashbars, proper skidplate, and preferably some sort of rear protection.

I've got Happy trails crash bars, skid plate, and rear rack with panniers that are pelican 1430's. When I drop the bike the crash bars and panniers keep the bike off my leg and make it easier to bail.
Gonzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:05 PM   #21
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzoso View Post
Dude get crash bars!

It'll be cheaper in the long run than the damage you'll take without them.

I have a 2012 and I wouldn't take it off road without crashbars, proper skidplate, and preferably some sort of rear protection.

I've got Happy trails crash bars, skid plate, and rear rack with panniers that are pelican 1430's. When I drop the bike the crash bars and panniers keep the bike off my leg and make it easier to bail.
My crash bars have saved my leg and my bike more than once, I don't ride with the panniers mounted but just the rack helps... and saves plastic....

Enjoy the KLR, take a riding course and get some miles in, it all gets easier, and more fun...
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote