Old 03-29-2014, 06:35 AM   #46
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCruiser View Post
Guy's I'm moved!!
Thank you, thank you, thank you for your involvement

I'm coming to NYC 23Apr and I'm starting my trip 26Apr. From NYC I'll ride to Baltimore, MD > Washington, DC > Front Royal, VA (to start Skyline Drive) > Sperryville / Luray / Elkton, VA.
I need your advice which route to choose between those waypoints - I want to see the country and I want to avoid crowded highways. Give me some hints pls

Do you have a time table, Or is your schedule open? Looking more for interesting roads, or interesting places.

Unless you have a compelling reason to ride to Baltimore and DC, don't. Head west across NJ into PA, look for towns like Shamokin take 125 S zig-zag in and around Lancaster and the Amish areas, keep on small roads through Maryland, to the Skyline Dr.

Skyline takes you to the Blue Ridge, the BR is a nice road but 500 miles of tha same thing. There is a bunch of places along the BR, Marby Mill, Linville falls, etc. If it is small twisty stuff you like, there are dozens of great roads leading down from the BR, and places to explore away from the BRP. Look at 58 from Meadows of Dan to Damascus, then down to Shady Valley, back to Mountain City, Boone, Blowing Rock. Show up at the Wedge in Asheville on a Wed night, there are lots of riders there, plan on staying at the Blue Ridge MC campground in Cruso NC, Iron horse campground in Robbinsville NC, Two Wheels only in Suches GA. You will find plenty of riders willing to give suggestions.

Main thing is don't be afraid to just wander, outside of the cities. Some of the best places are the ones I just stumbled across.
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:41 PM   #47
FargAT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
If you're coming through Fargo, North Dakota - send me a PM, we have a good group of Polish friends who are working at the local university, and as a rider, I'd take you up to Itasca State Park, birth water of the Mississippi.

Mike
FargAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:55 PM   #48
Groovemaster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Detroit

If you cross the border into Canada from Detroit to Windsor and need anything just shoot me a message. I'm just in Canada.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:00 PM   #49
Amagalous
Tazers are sex toys

Oddometer: 63
Unless you really want to see Washington DC, I would recommend cutting through Frederick on the way to Front Royal. Better back roads with some nice old covered bridges. Just a thought. Best of luck to you!
Old 03-30-2014, 03:13 AM   #50
liviob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
Hello LadyCruise. If you happen to pass through Denver, CO. and would like a tour of the sights send a PM.
liviob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:55 AM   #51
Vagabond25
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Laugh Pacific to Michigan

Welcome to The States, Weronika!

This summer, I'll be riding from the Pacific to Michigan, along the scenic route.
Portland>Seattle>North Cascades>Calgary?>Banff NP?>Glacier NP>Lolo Pass>Big Sky>Yellowstone NP>Grand Teton NP>Bear Tooth Pass>Chief Joseph Scenic Hwy>Devil's Tower>Sturgis>Badlands NP>Iron Mountain>Petoskey>Ann Arbor.

From Calgary onward, it looks like we have almost the same route in mind. Though, I've decided to avoid Chicago's hellish traffic and veer north. There's also a ferry in Milwaukee that'll get you across the lake so you can avoid the insanity that is Chicago. (I highly recommend it! That's how I plan to get west, once I turn around and head home.)

If our timing aligns, it'd be great to link up for a segment. I'm still not exactly sure when my ride will start (late-July or early-August sometime). It all depends on when The Army decides to send me home from the deployment that I'm on right now.
'08 R12GS/Hack

Vagabond25 screwed with this post 03-30-2014 at 07:27 AM
Vagabond25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:21 AM   #52
Longbow
Vroooom

Oddometer: 289
I'm looking forward to following you on your Ride Report.
I hope you have a great time while you are here in the states.
Ride safe. I'm in Billings, Montana. If I can be of assistance while you are in the area please feel free to PM me.
Have a great adventure!!

If you live in or around Billings, Montana
please send me a PM.
Longbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:54 AM   #53
afewsketchymoments
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Hey Weronika,

Matt here.

The Australian guy who was on the honda Ct110. a year or so ago.

Stoked to hear your starting your trip soon.

Always inspiring to see others living there dreams.

Yeeeeeewwwwwwwwww!!!!
Old 03-31-2014, 07:28 AM   #54
ricochetrider
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose1050 View Post
Make sure to check out cherohala skyway and us129/ tail of the dragon while your in tn/nc! I'm taking a trip to tn early July feel free to pm me if your in the area around that time. Good luck!
In that general area, also check out the "Back Of The Dragon"- Highway VA 19 from Tazewell to Marion, Virginia, Near Mount Rogers, the highest point in Virginia- then swing down to Damascus, Virginia which is a very hip little backpacker village out in the back country. Damascus is right along the way to "The Snake" -US 421 at Shady Valley TN. On the way to Shady Valley out of Damascus be sure to ride thru "Backbone Rock".

There is SO much excellent riding down there in the area where Virginia, Tennessee, and North Carolina come together. In western NC alone, there are 80 some mountain peaks that top 5000-6000 feet (1500-1800 meters +/-). The highest mountain on the American East Coast - Mount Mitchell @ 6684 feet/2037 meters- is right in there among them.

The Blue Ridge Parkway runs right down into the area
at its southern end. It would be well worth planning a few days' riding around that part of the East Coast.

RE:
The Skyline Drive & Blue Ridge Parkway
run pretty much their entire length along ridge-tops, at the highest elevations. The road is sometimes socked in from clouds and/or fog/rain. Parts of the road may even still be closed in early season from Winter snowfall. It is, however, entirely possible to stay within proximity of the Parkway along either its east or west side- as there are many entrances/exits on & off along its route. If the weather is too bad along the BRP, you can also swing out further west into West Virginia, and ride down into the same area of NC/TN/VA, as you would go to if riding the BRP. The northern most bit, The Skyline Drive, is a National Park- and there is a small fee to enter. IMO these roadways are a National Treasure- and are totally worth the time it takes to ride them. Early season- especially through mid-week, you could well have these marvelous roads all to yourself. It is entirely possible to see lots of interesting animals, like deer & black bear along your ride!

The Natchez Trace Parkway runs from approximately Nashville, Tenessee to Natchez, Mississippi- it's basically a nice ride thru the woods, tho- you won't see much of anything except wilderness along its path- BUT there are lots of old (ancient) Indian Mounds along the course of the Natchez Trace. The Trace follows the path of a major Indian Trail- lots of the original U.S. roadways were laid out along trails which already existed for ever. This one happens to be a National Park. Like the BRP it could take a few days to ride its length.

From Natchez, MS it's an easy ride down to New Orleans- a city I definitely recommend you visit. There's no other city in the U.S. like New Orleans! it's really fantastic.

One last general note of interest:

The USA's "U.S. Highway" system was in place long before the newer Interstate Highway System (Motorways). The old US highways are far more interesting and you can still make decent time on them- and many parallel the Interstates anyway. Along the older highway system it is possible to eat and to stay at smaller "mom & pop" motels and restaurants- thus avoiding national "chain" places.
It is along our US Highways (and back roads) where you'll find the true personality and people of our United States.

Since you've already done some major tours, I am sure you know this already, tho!
It's pretty much the same everywhere.

CHEERS!
Safe Travels, Weronica.

ricochetrider screwed with this post 03-31-2014 at 07:58 AM
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:03 AM   #55
LadyCruiser OP
www.ridingacross.com

Ricochetrider thank you for your effort! I'm grateful.
LadyCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:16 AM   #56
Jthewood
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Think hard about riding into/through the DC Metro area. Many on this forum will attest to the poor driving habits of cagers in the DC Metro area. You are next to invisible on a motorcycle. I've lived here all my life and I still try to avoid the metro area if I can. At the least, see if you can get a guide or two to help you safely navigate the area. I'll gladly help out if I'm free the day you get here.
Have a great trip and be safe!
Jason
Jthewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:49 PM   #57
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Welcome in advance. Ride Reports of North America from visitors from afar always intrigue me. Very much looking forward to following yours.

What do you want to get out of your ride? How long will you be here? Many here have suggested wonderful motorcycle roads and events, but maybe that is not what you are looking for. You'll find us eager to give the best advice possible, but help us out by telling us your desires. Do you want to see unique American places, unique American roads, a taste of American culture (which may not be very cultured ), our great cities, or our lovely country side, etc.

My wife and I always enjoy visiting with motorcycle travelers. They always seem to be good people with interesting stories. But few foreign travelers come through the middle of the country where we live in St. Louis, MO. But if your travels alter and you do, our home and garage is available to you. With a little planning, our lake house at Lake of the Ozarks is too, plus there are boats and water toys there in the summer.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:35 PM   #58
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCruiser View Post
[COLOR="SandyBrown"][B]I'm coming to NYC 23Apr and I'm starting my trip 26Apr.
Now that truly sucks I'll be riding the Cape Fear 1000 Rally that weekend (Friday through Saturday) Starting in Naples, New York and finishing up in Wilmington, N.C.

A couple of notes. Avoid DC if you can.

Skyline Drive - about 170km long with a speed limit of 56kph. Since it's close to DC, a lot of the local squids go there and the Rangers have a feeding frenzy - keep the speed down.

Blue Ridge Parkway - about 750kms with speed limits up to about 72kph. Fewer Rangers and they tend to not get overly excited if you're going 10 over the limit. The Parkway usually has large sections closed for repairs in early Spring - info here.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:50 PM   #59
Komar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Congratulations and I wish you an unforgettable experience of the trip.
I will follow your RR.
Gorące pozdrowienia z Lublina.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:52 AM   #60
LadyCruiser OP
www.ridingacross.com

Hi Boatpuller!!

I'm a rider who likes "cruiser" speed... i mean ride slower... see more
There are few cities which i would like to see like: Baltimore, Washington (..Wizards the NBA team with polish player Marcin Gortat), Nashville, New Orleans, LA, San Francisco, Seattle, Vancouver, Montreal and Portland ME. Mostly I want to ride Scenic Byways and see some country side.
LadyCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote