Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2014, 07:56 AM   #46
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,162
As said, adjusting the controls is key. If MX boots are your normal wear just adjust or change the shifter. It helps if you wear MX boots religiously then the few times you don't are the only times when shifting and braking are odd. The first thing my friends comment about when they ride one of my bikes is how high the shifter is set. The second thing is how low the rear brake is set.

But I wear MX boots religiously and they don't. So my bikes are adjusted to what works for me wearing my boots. When I ride their bikes I am nearly always in MX boots so I then have to shift with the edge of my sole and be very conscious of what my right foot is doing. Which is easy enough since I normally ride on my toes anyway and have gotten used to moving my whole foot.

I am two ankle surgeries beyond not wearing good boots. Plus I walked away from a high speed slide in rocks with left foot pinned under the 640. That same crash at walking speed on soft ground broke a friend's ankle in work boots. Another ankle brake and mine gets fused. So I can live with learning to shift and brake in MX boots.

Plus it isn't like I have a lot of ankle movement left anyway no matter the boots. And I really want to protect what little I do have left.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:14 AM   #47
Auto-X Fil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Also note that if you're in a proper off-road position (sitting up on the tank), your foot will tend to rotate toe-down. I keep the shifter in the same position on my bike and it works well with both MX and street boots - if I'm wearing street boots, I'm probably sitting up and back and relaxed. If I'm in the MX boots, I'm forward in the attack position.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:30 AM   #48
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
break in makes a huge difference, too. I've found that wearing them for a day walking around the house and whatnot really helps loosen them up and makes riding more natural. It's hard to break them in just by riding if you're doing a lot of street or light dual sport miles because aside from those few moments of shifting and braking, you really don't move your ankle all that much.
1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon sleeper tow car
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote