Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2014, 04:52 AM   #61
LadyCruiser OP
www.ridingacross.com

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komar View Post
Congratulations and I wish you an unforgettable experience of the trip.
I will follow your RR.
Gorące pozdrowienia z Lublina.
O witam Lublin :)
Pozdrawiam również serdecznie.
LadyCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:07 AM   #62
intotheabis
High on life!

Oddometer: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCruiser View Post
Hi Boatpuller!!

I'm a rider who likes "cruiser" speed... i mean ride slower... see more
There are few cities which i would like to see like: Baltimore, Washington (..Wizards the NBA team with polish player Marcin Gortat), Nashville, New Orleans, LA, San Francisco, Seattle, Vancouver, Montreal and Portland ME. Mostly I want to ride Scenic Byways and see some country side.
If you can fit it in try to see Savanna Georgia.
I a from Canada but that is one of my favorite US cities.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:13 AM   #63
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,852
Quote:

I'm coming to NYC 23Apr and I'm starting my trip 26Apr. From NYC I'll ride to Baltimore, MD > Washington, DC > Front Royal, VA (to start Skyline Drive) > Sperryville / Luray / Elkton, VA.
I need your advice which route to choose between those waypoints - I want to see the country and I want to avoid crowded highways. Give me some hints pls

Sounds like a great trip. Here's a few suggestions for the Virginia portion of your ride. I understand people saying that you should avoid DC because of the bad drivers, but as a foreigner myself, I also understand your point of view and your desire to see DC. I say go for it. You're obviously not a new rider, and you've been around bad drivers before; just stay on your toes! From DC it seems that you want to head towards Front Royal to pick up the Skyline Drive. I'm sure you realize that there is a difference between the Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge parkway. The Skyline Drive runs through the Shenandoah National park, and has a average speed limit of 35 MPH that is strictly enforced. The Blue Ridge Parkway (which is longer) is not strictly inside national park land and has an average speed limit of 45 MPH. Both are great fun, but locals such as myself get tired of the Skyline drive due to the low speed limits and the greater number of "Sunday Drivers" (those who drive super slow and wont use turn outs to let you pass them legally). That being said, in your situation I understand the appeal, and I say go for it. So now to route you from DC to Front Royal on something more interesting that I-66! It all depends on where in DC you're coming from, but in a very general sense here's what I'd do. Head to Manassas, and take route 234 (Sudley road) north/northwest'ish. Where it crosses route 15, continue on Waterfall road (route 601) which eventually turns into Hopewell road. Continue on towards the town of The Plains (quaint little town), and there pick up the John Marshall Highway ( route 55) heading west. Just out of town, continue straight onto Grove lane (this will parallel the interstate). Follow until you merge into route 17, and shortly after you do so, turn left back onto John Marshall Highway (route 55). This will once again parallel the interstate all the way to Front Royal, but it's a much more enjoyable route than the interstate. In Front Royal you'll pick up the Skyline Drive and head south. The Skyline Drive ends in Afton, VA (near Charlottesville) and this is where the Blue Ridge parkway picks up and continues south into North Carolina. I highly recomend the Blue Ridge Parkway! If you need a place to crash for a night, there's plenty of us living in the Shenandoah valley area that would probably be willing to host you. I myself am on the east side of the mountains in Madison county (near the town of Orange, VA). Got a spare bedroom and a garage/shop area if you need to do any maintenance type work on the bike.

Hope this gives you some food for thought. Looking forward to reading your ride report!

PS. Some day you'll need to return the favor for when I travel through Poland (probably summer of 2015). I'm actually shipping one of my bikes to Europe in May, and will be travelling all over western Europe this summer from June until August.
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #64
Montek
Eternal Noob

Oddometer: 976
Arizona

if you make it out to arizona, you absolutely need to ride the old 666 or what is todays 191 from Morenci up to Alpine. Perhaps the longest, twisty mountain road in all of north america. you will ride from the desert at 110 degress to 9,000 feet elevation and 70 degree temperature in the tall pine trees. its a piece of arizona most visitors do not know exist.
Monte
Old 04-01-2014, 07:56 AM   #65
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Hi Boatpuller!!

I'm a rider who likes "cruiser" speed... i mean ride slower... see more
There are few cities which i would like to see like: Baltimore, Washington (..Wizards the NBA team with polish player Marcin Gortat), Nashville, New Orleans, LA, San Francisco, Seattle, Vancouver, Montreal and Portland ME. Mostly I want to ride Scenic Byways and see some country side.
Excellent. With that we can be more helpful. Many discourage Washington DC, but I'm not one of them. It is a treasure of a city, wonderful to be a tourist in, and every few years I go through there pulling a 30-40 foot boat trailer, and don't find traffic to be worse than other cities. If you can, try to spend a few days in Washington, maybe park the motorcycle and take the public transportation. The city is very accessible.

If you enjoy nature or more natural areas, do buy an Annual Park Pass with the National Park Service. They can be purchased at any of our national parks, and is a heck of a value. There are hundreds if not thousands of places included in that system, and your annual pass gets you in all of them: Yellowstone, Skyline Drive, Glacier, Yosemite, Shenandoah, Grand Canyon, Arches, are some of the more famous, and these are life-changing places for many. I understand that the US does its national parks very well, and is something we should be proud of. The pass is about the cost of 3-4 single park fees, so it is a value for your trip.

If you are going from Nashville to New Orleans, you can take the Natchez Trace. It is national parkway, a protected road that is part of the national park system. It's slower, but well maintained and a lovely drive full of history. Someone else mentioned it earlier in this thread.

Around San Francisco, is our most famous wine country. It is full of wonderful food and wine shops, and should not be missed if either are of interest to you. East of there, on the California Nevada border are two treasures you should make a point to see: Yosemite National Park, and Lake Tahoe. Just Google pictures of either place if you doubt whether you can make them fit in your schedule.

On your way up to Seattle, try to see Portland, OR. They call it the city of roses, and the down town is a wonderful walking district with impressive flowers, or at least it was 20 years ago the last time I was there.

If you are in Vancouver, please please please head over to Banff, Alberta in the Canadian Rocky's. It is one of the most beautiful areas of the world, and well worth your time.

Warning: deer have become a major road hazard here in the US. The often run in front of cars instead of away. If you see them, or any wildlife bigger than a cat, along the side of your road, slow down and be prepared for them to run in front of you. This may be the same as in Poland, but it's still worth saying. One other thing, the size of our country surprises some Europeans. And Canada is even bigger. Make sure you are familiar with how far away things are when you are doing your planning.

Ride safe, have fun, you're going to have a great time. Thanks for bringing us along.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #66
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,184
I haven't read all of the previous posts, so this is probably 205 - but be sure to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway. Plan about three days to do that. Stop often, there are lots of pull outs - and beware of motorists who aren't looking where they are going.

Maggie Valley, North Carolina is one of my favorite places. Be sure to eat breakfast at Joey's Pancake House. Jonathon Creek Inn is a nice place to stay, and there are lots of great roads around there. You should visit Cherokee, although it is a bit of a tourist trap these days.

The Dragon US 129 in NC and TN is a must do, but avoid it on the weekends - and be careful, there are lots of cops and they will snag you for the smallest reason. The Cherohola is a must do. Go on down to Georgia and camp at Two Wheels Only. Rider's Hill at Dahlonega is a nice place to visit.

Stay away from the big cities.

If you get to Middle Tennessee (Nashville area) and need a place to stay or anything else, just PM me and I will send you my phone number. No strings attached. I have a truck and trailer, a garage with tools, and a guest room.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:41 AM   #67
Road Hound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
While I'm looking forward to this RR, I'm really wondering how it has managed to have a 5 star rating when there has been no ride report at all.
Road Hound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #68
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider View Post
...Continue on towards the town of The Plains (quaint little town),
Try to arrive hungry. Both "The Rail Stop" and "Forlano's" (across the street) are good places to stop. :-)
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:41 AM   #69
LadyCruiser OP
www.ridingacross.com

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Hound View Post
While I'm looking forward to this RR, I'm really wondering how it has managed to have a 5 star rating when there has been no ride report at all.
Maybe you should call it - SUPPORT?!
LadyCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:26 AM   #70
Merlinzen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
maybe it's because of the earlier report around Europe on Van Vans...
Merlinzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:00 AM   #71
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,407
I'll be keeping up with your travels about the USA. After you Leave New Orleans, I'll post some suggestions for the route headed West to Texas. I'm a back road rider my on self.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:15 AM   #72
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,133
Quote:
Where is your sense of adventure and romance?

Here we have a tender young lady with an exotic (to English speakers) spelling of her name about to disappear for an untold time into the depths of Darkest America depending on the friendliness of the natives (and probably a few good credit cards) for her daily existence.

Hell! It's got me all fired up and I'm almost 70.

Which reminds me - Weronika - if at all possible, get a credit card with a US billing address. The reason for this is that most petrol pumps will ask for the billing post code (ZIP Code) before they will dispense fuel - and all they will accept is a 5 digit US Zip Code. You won't have any problems using your cards at the register inside, but an unattended station (rare) will give you problems.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:02 AM   #73
ArmyMedic
Flyin' Elvis, UT Chapter

Oddometer: 485
Looking forward to following your trip. If you get to Utah, I'll happily suggest the best most scenic routes through our beautiful state.

RecoveryThreads.com
ArmyMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:37 AM   #74
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Oddometer: 1,421
If you need anything When you get to Oregon, let us know!

Craig & Natalie
Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:10 PM   #75
10ecjed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
LadyCruiser

You have a lot to decide on your routing. The PA, MD, DC, VA, NC and TN route has a lot to offer.Some of the best east coast riding. There is more on the east coast. Even the coastal route is good but a lot of traffic.