ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2014, 09:00 PM   #256
Lurkerlou
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
KTM 950/990 Adv UNDERSEAT TANK

Thanks Rade. Tank made it to Canada 👍👍

Lurkerlou screwed with this post 03-29-2014 at 09:45 PM
Lurkerlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:35 AM   #257
shoein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
I put the new tank on my 950s. Install was very easy. The temperatures are suppose to hit 40 here today so going to fill up the tank and put a few miles on the bike.
shoein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:20 PM   #258
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,090
hey what happened to the blow up doll conversation!!! or was that posted in some other thread?

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:29 PM   #259
Lurkerlou
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
No that was me and it was here , I thought it was pretty funny but my funny and other peoples funny isn't always the same so I shortened it up to Thanks Rade.
Lurkerlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:51 PM   #260
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkerlou View Post
No that was me and it was here , I thought it was pretty funny but my funny and other peoples funny isn't always the same so I shortened it up to Thanks Rade.
He has a blow up doll in the making also? And did not want it to be out in the open yet?

If it is anything close to the other awesome products he brings out Im in for a doll!

Will need to see if I can survive with the "dog house" for tool storage before I place an order for the under seat tank since I want to be able to bring enough tools to handle minor things.

Sorry Rade for polluting your thread.

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:35 PM   #261
rade OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyADV View Post
Will need to see if I can survive with the "dog house" for tool storage before I place an order for the under seat tank since I want to be able to bring enough tools to handle minor things.

/Johan
Johan,
I fully understand... having some important tools with you is always good, especially on long adventures... therefore as complementary to my underseat tank, I have developed carbon skid plate, with extra storage place for tools, spare tube or something else you find usefull...

here is the pix:

and here is the tank - so it is clear this thread is about the tank :-)

Both tanks and skid plates are available - just drop me a message :-)
rade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:05 AM   #262
geoffooooo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I've installed one of Rades underseat tanks. Bloody work of art I must say and am very happy with it, I think. I just have one concern. I've yet to do a big trip with it and a fully loaded bike, but I have been jumping the bike over some mounds, trying to bottom the rear suspension. And I have bottomed it, and the tire does just rub on the underseat tank at full compression.

It's probably nothing to be concerned about, however has anyone heard any horror stories of the tire ripping the underside of the tank? If it has happened, I'd have to think about some sort of way to increase the clearance?

Cheers.
geoffooooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:03 AM   #263
geoffooooo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I should add that the tank comes with a really tough looking shroud that protects the plastic of the tank from the rubber tire. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about.
geoffooooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:12 AM   #264
Giorgio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I everyone,
The rear underseat tank is one of the most beautiful ideas for 950/990 adventure...
But I've abs and original airbox.
Any idea? I don't like very much the cpr filter.
I've the MSR single exhaust system, this
There is the possibility of putting the abs pump in the space where there was the original collectors's Y? Off course in a aluminium self made box
Thanks
Giorgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:41 AM   #265
micky1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
agreed...how do we move the abs to get a under seat tank in?
micky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:34 AM   #266
Bowser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
for anyone remotely interested, with the underseat tank and a set of Safari tanks, I got 800km before the yellow light came on, now not sure how far I get with the big tanks when the light comes on but sure as hell its more than the 15km or so I get on the standard tanks.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #267
Unruled
950S

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
for anyone remotely interested, with the underseat tank and a set of Safari tanks, I got 800km before the yellow light came on, now not sure how far I get with the big tanks when the light comes on but sure as hell its more than the 15km or so I get on the standard tanks.
That's some sick range _O-
Old 09-11-2014, 03:50 AM   #268
Bowser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unruled View Post
That's some sick range _O-
Yep all by accident, I got the Rade tank, because the Safari ones are way too expensive, then a set came up at a very very good price second hand, so I jumped at them, but having already done the work with the underseat tank, there was no point in taking it out. I use the underseat tank more as a large reserve now, gives me 70 miles or so.
Which is just as well its amazing how far you can travel in Europe evenings/night without finding a gas station open!!

Good thing the bike came with a Renzaco Seat, its just about good enough for 500 miles before I need a break.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:12 AM   #269
micky1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorgio View Post
I everyone,
The rear underseat tank is one of the most beautiful ideas for 950/990 adventure...
But I've abs and original airbox.
Any idea? I don't like very much the cpr filter.
I've the MSR single exhaust system, this
There is the possibility of putting the abs pump in the space where there was the original collectors's Y? Off course in a aluminium self made box
Thanks
you can move the abs with the rotweiler air filter kit.

heres a link http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=9066
micky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:26 PM   #270
burntaler
braaaaaap

Oddometer: 3
Thumb Rade Tank

Today I completed the installation of Rade's underseat tank.

The tank fits perfectly into the rear frame. Craftsmanship and quality of the tank are top notch. In the latest version, Rade has upgraded the fixation. The brackets are laser cut from stainless steel. They have a perfect fit. The package came without instructions. But it is not very difficult to find out how the parts fit together.

Because the tank sits right above the exhaust pipe, Rade supplies a self-adhesive heat reflector. I put the tank on top of the sheet, marked the tank shape and used a scissor to cut it out.

The provided material is very flexible and sticks well to the tank (still sticking perfectly after 3,500 km of riding with a quite some rain)

It is necessary to cut open the rear fender plastic as the tank is higher than the sub-frame. In fact it reaches right to the bottom of the seat pan. Rade squeezed the maximum out of the given space. As a consequence the breather tube can't lay on top of the tank. Otherwise it get's squashed by the seat. So I had to lay the tubes a bit to the around the tank.

I filled the gap between the frame and the tank with a thin layer of closed cell foam. This prevents water and dirt from being thrown up to the seat pan.

The breather tube runs all the way on the left side along the frame to the steering head. As Rade wrote somewhere... it has to end at a point that is higher than the tank. Otherwise you will certainly leak fuel from the breather. When pumping cold gas at the station, it is pretty quickly heating up due to the exhaust pipes that pass underneath the tank and literally cook the gasoline . This will cause the gas to expand and with the tank full, pushes fuel into the breather tube where I can see it floating. With the shown setup I have no problem with fuel leakage.

The end of the breather is plugged to prevent dust from entering the tube.

I found a place for the fuel valve on the left side of the engine. At this point it is perfectly reachable when riding. However, this spot might not be possible when running those crash bars. But I don't have these.

While having many advantages, there are a few cons, too. Biggest weakness: Refueling can be pain because the seat has to be always taken off at the pump. If you run a normal tank bag - the bag has to be removed, too. Watch the cars lining up behind you . Also, the tank is very shallow at the filler cap. The pump must have a nozzle than can be well controlled. Pumping at full flow simply causes a full mess. Because of refueling being a bit cumbersome, I use the tank mainly as a reserve and open it as the last of the three. Regarding the package I wished Rade would have completed the kit with some clamps for the fuel hose as well as a better quality tube for the breather. First it is ultra soft, but once in contact with gasoline, the tube starts to shrink and gets hard. I will probably change it on the next occasion. Last but not least I got the tank without any instructions. It is not difficult to fit it, but some tips and tricks can help to avoid mistakes during the installation...

All in all Rade's underseat tank is an excellent product . It is well designed and produced. Its fit is outstanding and after the installation the reservoir is not visible from the outside. I have now around 100 Km of extra range build in.

safe riding

burntaler screwed with this post 09-16-2014 at 07:18 AM
burntaler is offline   Reply With Quote