Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #16
chamorroIV
Nicaragua

Oddometer: 5
Having same problem.. Solutions??

SAME PROBLEM!!!!
I live at Nicaragua, central america. As you would all know its warm down here. My 2014 adv r 1190 is having this same power delivering problem. The bike works fine the first hour, once it heats up the power cuts. It does not shut down. it just cuts it.... ill open the thotle and it will stay on 5\ 6000 rpm....

My biggest problem is the following. Ive been reading that many of you have taken the bikes to the dealership for this same reason and that they are not able to solve it. Unfortunately in Nicaragua there is no KTM dealership. I purchased the bike in florida and brought it down here. The closest, safest and best ktm dealship is at El Salvador... and i dont want to take the bike all the way to el salvador for nothing.. any suggestions ?? solutions ?? did any of you solve the problem!! please help!!

Thank you
chamorroIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:29 PM   #17
wegimex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Any news on that one ?
Old 04-29-2014, 08:42 PM   #18
PowerCell
SE990R

Oddometer: 2,145
I build these for this very reason...

http://www.powercellperformance.com/...-cap-adaptors/

photo
PowerCell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:20 PM   #19
OrangeV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Gday mate, the dealer should get the bike on the diagnostic tool and see what that says. Also would it help if you only use the good fuel like BP 98
Old 05-11-2014, 06:31 PM   #20
shaggy55352
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Any resolution or diagnosis to your fueling issue? I had basically the same thing happen to me today. Clearly acted like it was running out of fuel.
shaggy55352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #21
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy55352 View Post
Any resolution or diagnosis to your fueling issue? I had basically the same thing happen to me today. Clearly acted like it was running out of fuel.
Could be the breather pipe in the fuel tank cap. There's a ball valve and seems like the hole to the breather pipe or something has not been drilled out properly at times so you need to redo it. It was one off the updates they had to do during my 15k service. If the breather pipe is closed the tank will create a vacuum and the engine wont get enough fuel...
Corsica101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:33 PM   #22
shaggy55352
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Is the cap still a problem on the '14's? My build date is 1/14 I believe. I have read this was an issue for some '13's.
shaggy55352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:49 PM   #23
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy55352 View Post
Is the cap still a problem on the '14's? My build date is 1/14 I believe. I have read this was an issue for some '13's.
Donno but the issue sounds like it could be the tank is pulling a vacuum...its worth checking
Old 05-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #24
CanningOz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsica101 View Post
Donno but the issue sounds like it could be the tank is pulling a vacuum...its worth checking
Have the same problem here in Oz on my Adv R and have been chasing it unsuccessfully for a while. You never know when it's going to happen.

The tank cap has been updated to 2014, fuel filters replaced, air filter replaced, fuel taps completely on, bad fuel dongle replaced, bike dynoed, compression and leak down tests....still had the same problem. Have just installed a complete new fuel pump, and hope this fixes it as it's happened when out very remote in the Australian bush. Is intermittent, and very confidence sapping if thinking about a long, remote ride.

So far the only thing covered by KTM is the fuel cap and bad fuel dongle. I'm really hoping this new fuel pump fixes it.
CanningOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #25
chamorroIV
Nicaragua

took the bike to the dealership, they said it had some error codes, they cleared the codes. rode the bikes for 20 minutes. they did not get it hot enough for the problem to present it self.

they sent it back, i rode it and the problem was still there...

I made two observations:
The bike stalls between 5500 and 7500 rpm.( NOT ALWAYS ON THE SAME RPM ) If im running on any gear and press the clutch it revs normally, once i let the clutch go and want to rev it, it stalls again.

Im guessing it could be a sensor not working properly, I was also reading about the tilt sensor...any suggestions ? im going to send my bike back to the dealer and tell them to check sensor by sensor ect.

things i've done.
-run the bike untill it heats up and presents the problem, turn it off and back on to see if the fuel pump is working properly and it is!
- i've also opened the fuel cap when hot and there is no pressure sound ( vacuum effect )

this sucks !!!!!!
chamorroIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:11 AM   #26
Gillberg375
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
The problem is the fuel pump losing pressure. The pump gradually loses pressure over the course of time. Meaning that if you are riding for a couple of hours there isn't enough fuel being pumped to rev past the 6500 rpm.

This is now recognised by KTM as a fault. I've just had mine replaced under warranty.

I mentioned in another thread that KTM Australia is coming to the party with the extra year warranty. Thank God.
Gillberg375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:57 AM   #27
RobZorba
RobZorba

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillberg375 View Post
The problem is the fuel pump losing pressure. The pump gradually loses pressure over the course of time. Meaning that if you are riding for a couple of hours there isn't enough fuel being pumped to rev past the 6500 rpm.

This is now recognised by KTM as a fault. I've just had mine replaced under warranty.

I mentioned in another thread that KTM Australia is coming to the party with the extra year warranty. Thank God.
Hi Gillberg,

Is it the same fuel pump on both 2014 and 2013 '1190's and do you know if there will be a worldwide recall / exchange, or is it just OZ?

I have to add that I haven't yet noticed this problem on my '14 in a major way except that there does seem to be a dead power band between 5500 and 7000 rpm, where the engine seems to run very lean and hot.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 05-12-2014, 09:32 AM   #28
chamorroIV
Nicaragua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillberg375 View Post

Old 05-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #29
RobZorba
RobZorba

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamorroIV View Post
but why when i put it on neutral o when i press the clutch it revs normally ? shouldn't it cut the power there 2 ?
Just a thought / theory ... fuel required at the injectors is a function of both rpm and power transmitted to the road. Spinning the engine in neutral does not demand much power output, so the ECU delivers less fuel. Hence less demand on the pump, and it does not show the failure symptoms.

I'm not sayin' I know it's the pump that is at fault ... but if there is some design problem, it would be more likely to fail when fuel demand / power demand is high. Also if the problem is related to machining tolerances, then high pump temperature after prolonged use may well make the problem worse. I think the pump design is constant pressure and variable flow as demanded by the injectors. If so, then symptoms of a pump that is failing would be measured by a pressure gauge in the output line from the fuel pump. Instead of constant pressure, the gauge would read a dip in fuel pressure when the engine is under load, at the time the injectors open. This would have to be done on a dyno so the rolling road can simulate load on the engine.

RobZorba screwed with this post 05-12-2014 at 11:41 AM
RobZorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:25 PM   #30
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamorroIV View Post
took the bike to the dealership, they said it had some error codes, they cleared the codes. rode the bikes for 20 minutes. they did not get it hot enough for the problem to present it self.

they sent it back, i rode it and the problem was still there...

I made two observations:
The bike stalls between 5500 and 7500 rpm.( NOT ALWAYS ON THE SAME RPM ) If im running on any gear and press the clutch it revs normally, once i let the clutch go and want to rev it, it stalls again.

Im guessing it could be a sensor not working properly, I was also reading about the tilt sensor...any suggestions ? im going to send my bike back to the dealer and tell them to check sensor by sensor ect.

things i've done.
-run the bike untill it heats up and presents the problem, turn it off and back on to see if the fuel pump is working properly and it is!
- i've also opened the fuel cap when hot and there is no pressure sound ( vacuum effect )

this sucks !!!!!!
What you could try is with your spare key to open the cap while the problem presents itself...just make sure your tank is not full and yr on a flat road!:)

anyway if Gillberg says he had his pump replaced and the problem is sorted then that should be it...