ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2014, 08:23 AM   #31
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
The reason I went with the R is the longer suspension travel. it is a heavy bike and off road you need all he suspension you can get if you want to carry any speed at all. It work amazingly well on the road and I have no complaints. then again I was happy with my 990R as well. AS stated the bike does not make the rider. I have whipped up on sportbikes in the twisties with the 990 I have also gotten my ass kicked on my CBR by a 70 year old on a CB750F. get the one that suits your needs best and enjoy.
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:47 AM   #32
TheIglu
Louden = Fun!

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeV View Post
If you have doubts how good the Adventure R model is, watch this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JFkjJwff0Y

THis man is a good, crazy rider, however he shows that the R model can handle corners very well even passing some sports bikes at ballisitic speeds.
Yikes. I was hoping for a lot more than that from the video going in. They all rode crossed up, leaning over the centerline, bad sight lines and looked to be on the limits of their skills. Fast has different definitions to different people I suppose. One skilled guy on a clapped out SV or well setup DL650 could of tuned the whole lot of them up with ease in a safer fashion.

I'd love to see a skilled rider on an R on the street or on a trackday.

I'm torn between the two as well. I live in the woods, I have 4 miles of rough dirt in any direction, and miles upon miles of even rougher pavement in any direction before I have a chance to get to any smooth road. But, primarily I do my enjoyment riding ON pavement. Hard to decide between the two, wish I could get the R model with a 19" front for better street rubber choices..... Damn you KTM! Just give us the option for wheel sizes!
Old 04-03-2014, 08:54 AM   #33
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
Yikes. I was hoping for a lot more than that from the video going in. They all rode crossed up, leaning over the centerline, bad sight lines and looked to be on the limits of their skills. Fast has different definitions to different people I suppose. One skilled guy on a clapped out SV or well setup DL650 could of tuned the whole lot of them up with ease in a safer fashion.

I'm torn between the two as well. I live in the woods, I have 4 miles of rough dirt in any direction, and miles upon miles of even rougher pavement in any direction before I have a chance to get to any smooth road. But, primarily I do my enjoyment riding ON pavement. Hard to decide between the two, wish I could get the R model with a 19" front for better street rubber choices..... Damn you KTM! Just give us the option for wheel sizes!
buy a set of wheels, problem solved..
Old 04-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #34
TheIglu
Louden = Fun!

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills View Post
buy a set of wheels, problem solved..
From many many hours reading, you can't switch the wheel size in the software.....yet. And that's the real issue. With so many sensors and the importance of having accurate wheel speed in relation to ABS and TC, they need to calibrate wheel size to make things happy.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #35
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,519
FWIW the STD is pretty capable off pavement and handles like a dream on pavement.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #36
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
From many many hours reading, you can't switch the wheel size in the software.....yet. And that's the real issue. With so many sensors and the importance of having accurate wheel speed in relation to ABS and TC, they need to calibrate wheel size to make things happy.

the tech at my dealer says it is no problem? you can't adjust by mm (to fix speedo error) but he says you can adjust to other wheel sizes?
Old 04-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #37
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

my dealer says you can? he says you can't change it by mm (to solve speedo error) but you can switch to different wheel sizes?
Old 04-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #38
RobZorba
RobZorba

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
1190 Adventure R Track Day in Sweden. Author: ADVMAN.SE Click picture below to play the video ...