Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2014, 05:45 PM   #481
fnatic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel 640 View Post
Hi fnatic didnt realize you wanted to ride that sort of track. Let me know next time y are rostered off on a sat. And i will post a ride up through long gully. As craig 525 said the gradient is abought the same as billy goats just 10 times longer, so if y can go up and down long gully with a bit of fitness y should have no problems with billy goats ?

Sounds good to me.....
Old 03-29-2014, 11:42 PM   #482
fifthgear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Did Billy Goats on DR 650

Thanks for all your advise about Billy Goats so I when and had a crack yea har what a ripper of a hill . I went from Licola end took Tamboritha rd right on to Moroka rd, Pinnacles rd then left onto Billy Goats and down we went (1200mtrs in 7km) It had rained that night and it was about midday when I got their so most of the track was dry all bar a bit at the top stopped at Helipad half way down and took in the view. Got going again and headed for Dargo after a quick bite hit the road for home all together 600km and a great days ride.

Terry 0458590560

fifthgear screwed with this post 03-30-2014 at 11:09 PM
fifthgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:31 AM   #483
Camel 640
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by duxrneet View Post
Looks like a potentially fun tour. What date are you thinking?
Only have weekends off, so we have the 5th /6th and the 12th/13th before Easter. I can fit in for any of those days.

Thanks to Ararat, will try the screen download when I next need to post basecamp.
Camel 640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:18 AM   #484
TRTN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Went out for a quick quick ride today. Turned into a long one!

Randomly touring around the Kinglake area I ended up at the top of Long Gully road. Remembered reading about this track here so I went for a short walk down first. And quickly walked back up. Not feeling too confident in rolling down that on my own, on a mostly stock Dr650, I turned around.

Almost made it back to the main road but took a quick break for a snack. And that's where my bike died...

RACV picked it up and it's at the towing depot in Whittlesea now. Electrical issue of some sorts. Any experience with the local Suzuki dealer in Whittlesea?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
TRTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:08 AM   #485
ararat
Dr. BMW and Mr KTM

Oddometer: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRTN View Post
Almost made it back to the main road but took a quick break for a snack. And that's where my bike died...
Get a KTM!!
You will feel more confidant and will be prepared to get stuck!
Old 03-30-2014, 10:27 PM   #486
Camel 640
Adventurer

[QUOTE=fnatic;23810619]Sounds good to me...

Fnatic you need to let me know when your rostered off?

Pm me if you like and I will try to fit in with your times, cheers
Old 03-30-2014, 10:40 PM   #487
fnatic
Gnarly Adventurer

Will check the roster and with the Boss and let you know tonight....

[QUOTE=Camel 640;23819185]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnatic View Post
Sounds good to me...

Old 03-31-2014, 02:59 AM   #488
Camel 640
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthgear View Post
Thanks for all your advise about Billy Goats so I when and had a crack yea har what a ripper of a hill . I went from Licola end took Tamboritha rd right on to Moroka rd, Pinnacles rd then left onto Billy Goats and down we went (1200mtrs in 7km) It had rained that night and it was about midday when I got their so most of the track was dry all bar a bit at the top stopped at Helipad half way down and took in the view. Got going again and headed for Dargo after a quick bite hit the road for home all together 600km and a great days ride.

Terry 0458590560
Where are all the pics fifthgear sounds like a good ride.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:01 PM   #489
fnatic
Gnarly Adventurer

Availability

My Roster overlaps a few weekends apart from Sunday 13th April, April Long weekend (Although every road will be clogged with all modes of bogan transport imagineable. Wait, think I fit into the bogan category ) can get a day ride in over that weekend.

Or failing that after easter long weekend...

[QUOTE=Camel 640;23819185]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnatic View Post
Sounds good to me...

Old 03-31-2014, 07:26 PM   #490
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,531
Quote:

Randomly touring around the Kinglake area I ended up at the top of Long Gully road. Remembered reading about this track here so I went for a short walk down first. And quickly walked back up. Not feeling too confident in rolling down that on my own, on a mostly stock Dr650, I turned around.

RACV picked it up and it's at the towing depot in Whittlesea now. Electrical issue of some sorts. Any experience with the local Suzuki dealer in Whittlesea?

Bugger!
If it's K&J THomas, they're okay - not uber-fantastic, but they'll do a fair job at a fair price. Trouble is that with electrical failures, finding the issue can take a while - and you're paying while the clock ticks.
That said, you're probably better hauling its sorry ass home and fixing it yourself; if you need a ute and/or trailer, I'm not too far away.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:20 PM   #491
fifthgear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Billy Goats on DR650

This is on helipad half way down Billy Goats top peak on left is where the track starts next ride more photos
Attached Images

fifthgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:38 AM   #492
Camel 640
Adventurer

[QUOTE=fnatic;23825358]My Roster overlaps a few weekends apart from Sunday 13th April, April Long weekend (Although every road will be clogged with all modes of bogan transport imagineable. Wait, think I fit into the bogan category ) can get a day ride in over that weekend.

Sunday the 13th looks to be a go ,that is one of the days that i can do before easter.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:49 AM   #493
Fulldeck
noob

Oddometer: 115
Quote:

Hi TRTN,

I'm not too far from that neck of the woods so if you decide to bring her home and sus out whats wrong I can help out picking her up and trailering her home.
If you need help send me a pm
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” (Mark Twain)
Fulldeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #494
Camel 640
Adventurer

Question

[QUOTE=fnatic;23825358]My Roster overlaps a few weekends apart from Sunday 13th April, April Long weekend (Although every road will be clogged with all modes of bogan transport imagineable. Wait, think I fit into the bogan category ) can get a day ride in over that weekend.

I thought the bogan long weekend was on the 25th april the weekend after easter???
Old 04-03-2014, 08:59 PM   #495
TRTN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulldeck View Post
Hi TRTN,

I'm not too far from that neck of the woods so if you decide to bring her home and sus out whats wrong I can help out picking her up and trailering her home.
If you need help send me a pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
Bugger!
If it's K&J THomas, they're okay - not uber-fantastic, but they'll do a fair job at a fair price. Trouble is that with electrical failures, finding the issue can take a while - and you're paying while the clock ticks.
That said, you're probably better hauling its sorry ass home and fixing it yourself; if you need a ute and/or trailer, I'm not too far away.
Thanks for the offers!

K&J Thomas did just what I hoped. They picked up my bike from the smash repairs depot, spent some time (about an hour) sorting out the problem and charged a fair price. I then took a bus to Whittlesea and picked my bike up earlier this week.

Turns out it was probably corrosion / a loose connector somewhere in the bundle behind the headlight. I took most of that apart on the trail but just had bad luck i suppose. It was probably related to dropping the bike in a bog hole on a trip over Christmas. Think i'll get some dielectric grease on the weekend and 'fix' all the connections i can find. Bypassing the clutch and sidestand switches is also well overdue.
TRTN is offline   Reply With Quote