Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #31
thecanoeguy
just a yobbo from oz

Oddometer: 1,846
Jealous i aint , i get my share of travelling on bikes around the place, am all for letting people crash at my place , the more the better , helping out with a few bucks when a bike gets nicked , broken down ,etc , but just plain asking people to give you money for your holiday is just rude really ,
thecanoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:01 PM   #32
Idratherberiding
my KTM 950 Adventure!

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie_BB View Post
Re: Quote:Originally Posted by Jdeks . . . no-one seemed to have any idea why women are even less likely to show up (or even ride) than young people.

You must be riding with the wrong people and/or attending the wrong events. There's always lots of women with the touring group I ride with. There's even a reasonable percentage of those lazy Gen Y's.
You'll find us at rallies and on monthly weekend trips away. We'll be churning up the dust along the forgotten dirt roads out the back of Bathurst, Canberra and Taree.
In fact, we're doing a 5000km round trip to Tassie over Easter. Out of the 22 going, 9 are women and 7 of them will be riding their own bikes.

I don't want to ride the world, but I'll take a stab at riding every road I can up and down the east coast of Aus. I just need more time and, just like the RTW girl, more money.
Sounds great.
So, are you and your friends going to the Alpine Rally (Brindabella this year), after you get back from Tas?
~> this would help solve Jdeks dilemma-observation and broaden at least one Rally-base at the same time!
I've travelled a long way,
~ and most of the roads weren't paved!
Idratherberiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #33
Auntie_BB
thread killer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idratherberiding View Post
Sounds great.
So, are you and your friends going to the Alpine Rally (Brindabella this year)
eerrr.. . . I'm sure a couple of my friends will be doing the Alpine
Me?
Nope.
I'm not a happy camper at the best of times. To camp in the middle of winter where there's a good chance of snow? Nope. Nup. No way. Gimme a pub with a log fire and an electric blanket on the bed thanks.

Auntie_BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:06 PM   #34
Idratherberiding
my KTM 950 Adventure!

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie_BB View Post
eerrr.. . . I'm sure a couple of my friends will be doing the Alpine
Me?
Nope.
I'm not a happy camper at the best of times. To camp in the middle of winter where there's a good chance of snow? Nope. Nup. No way. Gimme a pub with a log fire and an electric blanket on the bed thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeks View Post
Good on this lady for breaking into what is definitely NOT a womans world.

Her ride is not the way I'd do it - I think her site's a bit cheezey, she's obviously really into the whole 'adventure riding' image, and I'm sure she's going to get as much shit for having sponsors as I'm gonna get for writing this.

But she's out there. She's doing it. She might be doing it "Long Way" style, but if Ewan and Charlie could rally a generation of businessmen onto GS's, maybe this girl can get a few women onto some KTMs.

And I totally do not have any problem with that at all. It'd sure make rallies a bit more diverse....providing something doesn't scare them off.
...and therein lies the scary difference(!), ... & perhaps why Jdeks maybe rides more often alone these days, due his penchant for 'more basic' adventures.
I've travelled a long way,
~ and most of the roads weren't paved!
Idratherberiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #35
Jdeks
Departed

Oddometer: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecanoeguy View Post
but just plain asking people to give you money for your holiday is just rude really ,
Big difference between walking up to someone and saying "Hey, I want to hit up the Gold Coast for a weekend, can you gimme a hundred?" and "Hey, I've got a chance to do a one-off dream trip - if you feel like helping me, that would be super awesome". That difference being the gap between 'holiday' and 'adventure'. They're not the same thing.

'Go Fund Me' sites aren't there just to ask people to give money. They're there to make it easier for the ones who are already generous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idratherberiding View Post
...and therein lies the scary difference(!), ... & perhaps why Jdeks maybe rides more often alone these days, due his penchant for 'more basic' adventures.
Yep, snow caves and tents aren't for everyone. Separate discussion, but thats fine.

And Auntie BB raises a good, and fully correct point - I cannot speak for all women, and indeed am not trying to.

But I do actually know a few young women who are into the tenting thing. They also even ride bikes. A couple better than I do. Yet in the past when I've suggested combining the two and going to a rally or even group ride, they're never keen, even when they could outride most of the pack.

Why? It's the blokes. They just don't feel comfortable. A 22 y.o. girl hanging out in the woods with a pack of half-drunk 45+ y.o. men??? No way.

Part of that is probably general social stigma. And I'm not saying rallies are full of rampant sexism. I've never heard said men say 'women can't ride' or 'aren't welcome here'. But on the few occasions I've managed to get one to join me, I have heard is things like "man, she can ride well for a girl", "gee, where can I find a girlfriend who rides like that?" and worst of all "you should join us tomorrow! - we can just do the easy roads". Sadly, there are the occasional lewd remarks but at least they're said behind her back...

The old blokes are (generally) gentlemanly, polite and encouraging. But, to paraphase one of the women themselves, "We're always seen as girl riders, and not girl riders." Pretty much anything they do is considered in the context of their gender. Which seemed to be the first thing people did for this girl's RTW trip, too.
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:06 PM   #36
woopwoop
will think for food

Oddometer: 5,142
win,win,win

sell your computer, send the money here http://www.ihaveadreamrtw.com/ and then go and do something really really solo and really really basic
woopwoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:22 PM   #37
Jdeks
Departed

Oddometer: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by woopwoop View Post
sell your computer, send the money here http://www.ihaveadreamrtw.com/ and then go and do something really really solo and really really basic

Although you're plainly having a go at me for pointing out what I have (and I'm not at all surprised it's got to you), and despite knowing nothing about me, you've actually come fairly close to my actual plans for the future.

I'll leave it up to you to fill in the gaps.
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:02 AM   #38
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Oddometer: 436
You do understand she is not Australian and her cultural ideas and view of what is normal could possibly be different to ours. Considering some commenting here have been to many different parts of the world and have seen first hand the differences in outlook other cultures have. Should we convert everyone to the Aussie idea of fair dinkum???? I hope not.