Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2014, 01:51 PM   #646
the_couch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Looks like the boys are gearing up for a Sunday ride. Either 7 hills again or Davies Creek. Gimme a shout if you're interested and I'll keep you in the loop.
the_couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:27 AM   #647
the_couch
Gnarly Adventurer

Plans fell apart but I went out for a solo ride. Went out to Mareeba via lots of side tracks on the way. Davies Ck road was a nice ride with good views, impressive waterfall. Emerald Ck falls road was alright, but I didn't feel like walking the 1.9km to the falls and back in full mx gear.

Clohesy River Road was a LOT of fun. Lots of crossings and those little jumps in the road made for a great time. Past the giant fig tree the gate was open so I kept going for another 10km or so before hitting reserve tank and turning back. I hear that road goes all the way to Lake Morris. Anybody gone the whole way? I'm very keen to give that a go. Would be a fun round trip from my place in Edmonton.

Got gopro footage. Will put on youtube and post here when I can be arsed editing. Beer now. 300km on the DRZ seat with my bony arse doesn't inspire more sitting at a computer for hours, but rather couch and footy.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:53 AM   #648
Kenno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_couch View Post
Plans fell apart but I went out for a solo ride. Went out to Mareeba via lots of side tracks on the way. Davies Ck road was a nice ride with good views, impressive waterfall. Emerald Ck falls road was alright, but I didn't feel like walking the 1.9km to the falls and back in full mx gear.

Clohesy River Road was a LOT of fun. Lots of crossings and those little jumps in the road made for a great time. Past the giant fig tree the gate was open so I kept going for another 10km or so before hitting reserve tank and turning back. I hear that road goes all the way to Lake Morris. Anybody gone the whole way? I'm very keen to give that a go. Would be a fun round trip from my place in Edmonton.

Got gopro footage. Will put on youtube and post here when I can be arsed editing. Beer now. 300km on the DRZ seat with my bony arse doesn't inspire more sitting at a computer for hours, but rather couch and footy.
Just got in the door ourselves, did the flaggy creek track but only 60k round trip, the were lots of bikes up there today, i came off 3 times and the young bloke flipped twice. Tracks are very boney after the wet.
We ride most weekends, you are always welcome to join in. We trailer north and ride from Hartleys because of the young bloke without a license.

Ken is mobile.

"Parts left out cost nothing and cause no service problems" (Kettering)
Kenno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:39 AM   #649
Reefdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
The Couch
did it years ago, there was a locked gate lake morris end. Tis a great ride if you have the keys to the fxxxking gates

reef
Reefdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:44 AM   #650
the_couch
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenno View Post
Just got in the door ourselves, did the flaggy creek track but only 60k round trip, the were lots of bikes up there today, i came off 3 times and the young bloke flipped twice. Tracks are very boney after the wet.
We ride most weekends, you are always welcome to join in. We trailer north and ride from Hartleys because of the young bloke without a license.

Ken is mobile.
Sounds good mate! Starting tomorrow I work nights for 7 days so I have all the days to go riding.

Some screen caps from today..

Some crossings deeper than they looked

Waiting my turn

The first crossing.

Bit of a view

Davies Falls
Old 04-06-2014, 05:48 AM   #651
the_couch
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdog View Post
The Couch
did it years ago, there was a locked gate lake morris end. Tis a great ride if you have the keys to the fxxxking gates

reef
Ah too bad. Maybe I'll get lucky one day and find them open. No chance of bush whacking around it?
Old 04-06-2014, 11:53 PM   #652
Aussie Digger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Cairns to Townsville - July - Unsealed???

I thought i'd tap into the local knowledge base... I am doing the BMW Enduro from Darwin to Cairns in July. I'll be on a 1200 GSA and am looking for an alternative route other than the Bruce Highway from Cairns to Townsville. The bike will be loaded so no single track stuff pls. I guess it will be dry up there that time of year?? Also looking at options from Townsville down to Mackay also. Any ideas appreciated.
http://youtu.be/KHLwWJSI5Io
Murchison Area of WA including Jokers Tunnel
Aussie Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:17 AM   #653
Reefdog
Studly Adventurer

Couch
No chance mate. well not when I did it 12 years ago
I was with a bloke who had a contract with a backhoe to clean the road sides up for the govt and had the keys to all the locks.

A good hard ride is from Koombooloomba to Blencoe falls via Kirrama Stn. there was a locked gate at the start of this but was often open when I last rode this track, again 13 years ago
All this may have change due to the Save the purple pink spotted gay whale and hairy armpit bridgade.
let us know how you go
Old 04-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #654
JMick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Used to do that track years ago in a 4wd and was always envious of the blokes on dirt bikes who would drag their bikes under the gate on top of Copperlode. Last time I was there was about 4 or 5 years ago and there was still evidence of people dragging bikes under, but I didn't have a bike then and I'm not sure if the gate has been redesigned to prevent this or if you could only do it with a very narrow and light bike.
I know that there was a 4wd club that used to get permission and a key to open the gate for club runs, so it might just be possible for a group of riders to do the same. Would probably need to be a club or some incorporated body with public liability insurance etc though.
I could be wrong, but I thought there was another track near the end of the clohesy road which turned right instead of left and ended up joining up to the eastern end of Henry Hannam Drive (this is a dirt road that goes from the eastern side of Mareeba to the highway just near the "jump up" before Walkamin)

Mick
JMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #655
the_couch
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdog View Post
Couch
No chance mate. well not when I did it 12 years ago
I was with a bloke who had a contract with a backhoe to clean the road sides up for the govt and had the keys to all the locks.

A good hard ride is from Koombooloomba to Blencoe falls via Kirrama Stn. there was a locked gate at the start of this but was often open when I last rode this track, again 13 years ago
All this may have change due to the Save the purple pink spotted gay whale and hairy armpit bridgade.
let us know how you go
Hahah. Will definitely check it out sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMick View Post
Used to do that track years ago in a 4wd and was always envious of the blokes on dirt bikes who would drag their bikes under the gate on top of Copperlode. Last time I was there was about 4 or 5 years ago and there was still evidence of people dragging bikes under, but I didn't have a bike then and I'm not sure if the gate has been redesigned to prevent this or if you could only do it with a very narrow and light bike.
I know that there was a 4wd club that used to get permission and a key to open the gate for club runs, so it might just be possible for a group of riders to do the same. Would probably need to be a club or some incorporated body with public liability insurance etc though.
I could be wrong, but I thought there was another track near the end of the clohesy road which turned right instead of left and ended up joining up to the eastern end of Henry Hannam Drive (this is a dirt road that goes from the eastern side of Mareeba to the highway just near the "jump up" before Walkamin)

Mick
Cheers for the info Mick. Only one way to find out... gotta head back out there and see for myself.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #656
the_couch
Gnarly Adventurer

Cut together a short vid from Sunday's ride...

Old 04-08-2014, 12:50 AM   #657
JMick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
..........Cheers for the info Mick. Only one way to find out... gotta head back out there and see for myself.
Had a bit of a look on Google and it looks like there's quite a few tracks between Henry Hannam Drive/Emerald Creek and Clohesy river road. I managed to trace at least one path that joined the two up. There is a section under the power lines at the Emerald creek End and I do vaguely remember driving that section a few decades ago. I know there's gates on that section because a mate of mine used to have keys for it as a vegetation management contractor for the power line company.

Mick
JMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:13 AM   #658
Reefdog
Studly Adventurer

Thanks very much Couch, NOW you have really made me home sick
No better place than FNQ
great video
Old 04-08-2014, 04:35 AM   #659
Kenno
Studly Adventurer

Alternatives to Bruce Highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Digger View Post
I thought i'd tap into the local knowledge base... I am doing the BMW Enduro from Darwin to Cairns in July. I'll be on a 1200 GSA and am looking for an alternative route other than the Bruce Highway from Cairns to Townsville. The bike will be loaded so no single track stuff pls. I guess it will be dry up there that time of year?? Also looking at options from Townsville down to Mackay also. Any ideas appreciated.
Gidday Aussie Digger,
unless someone else here in Cairns knows I would suggest contacting the Townsville boys here, they know all the parallel roads out of town towards Cairns which I believe would be suitable for loaded bikes.
I have not been down them yet but I am told they are excellent rides.

My Nephew and I are heading to the OCR across the Savannah Way last week in July and going via Darwin so we might bump into you along the road, in any case if you see my XR650 from the Desert Raid pull me up for a chat, I'll look for a shiny BMW.
The weather should be good in July.

Cheers

Old 04-08-2014, 04:47 AM   #660
Kenno
Studly Adventurer

Nice one

Quote:
Cut together a short vid from Sunday's ride...
Now the cat is out of the bag, they'll all want to come here.

Funny how those crossings look 100mm deep but they are really 500mm deep