Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2014, 03:35 AM   #16
toolbox
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
if the trailer weights more that 250 kg brakes are required even if you only 750 kg all up. is in the rta,s regs but not on the paper work for building small trailers VSB1
toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #17
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idratherberiding View Post
Am I the only one that finds it sad that Adventure Bikes 'need' to be transported?
They are made to be ridden yes?
People have limited time and budgets. I bought my Tenere to be ridden on the dirt. If I wanted to ride on the road (bitumen) I'd have bought a road bike (and some chaps).:ymca

I'm doing an outback NSW ride in July. I'll be leaving Sydney at 4am to arrive at Bourke by midday or so to then get a few hundred km's under my belt before dark. I'll be much more comfortable in my truck in the middle of winter trailering to the dirt. I won't have to compromise on tyres for the bike, I'll have a new 606 on the rear ready for the week ahead. If something goes wrong with any of the bikes on the trip we don't have to go so far to get trailer/truck to recover a broken down bike. I can meet a mate halfway and put his bike on my trailer and we can catch up while I drive the last half of the trip to the start line.

I've owned registered enduro bikes before moving onto ADV bikes, NEVER rode them anywhere with bitumen either.

Everyone does it their way... it's not wrong because it's different

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #18
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Oddometer: 1,958

First time I did the cape 2 up on a transalp we trucked her up to cairns and back

Same for the kimberly, towed her to alice. At least she got ridden back, but someone else did that ( I had to fly back to wrk from Darwin)

The transalp got her revenge when we took her to arkaroola in the back of the ute...she blew her 15 yo fork seals when we jumped the ute off a cattle grid. Wouldn't happen to a real adv bike?

Oh, the shame, we towed to charlieville before a 6000 km round trip for an ocr at lorella springs. The real adv riders rode the whole way on bitumin

I'm most ashamed of shipping my transalp to nz...should have swum the whole way ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb View Post
People have limited time and budgets. I bought my Tenere to be ridden on the dirt. If I wanted to ride on the road (bitumen) I'd have bought a road bike (and some chaps).:ymca

I'm doing an outback NSW ride in July. I'll be leaving Sydney at 4am to arrive at Bourke by midday or so to then get a few hundred km's under my belt before dark. I'll be much more comfortable in my truck in the middle of winter trailering to the dirt. I won't have to compromise on tyres for the bike, I'll have a new 606 on the rear ready for the week ahead. If something goes wrong with any of the bikes on the trip we don't have to go so far to get trailer/truck to recover a broken down bike. I can meet a mate halfway and put his bike on my trailer and we can catch up while I drive the last half of the trip to the start line.

I've owned registered enduro bikes before moving onto ADV bikes, NEVER rode them anywhere with bitumen either.

Dr AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:51 PM   #19
Toy Rolex
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ephphatha View Post
I've found exactly the same thing. A 7x4 trailer will fit three bikes side by side (as long as they aren't too wide) but you run into issues with the wheelbase. I've only used mine to transport my DRZ when it was unregistered and I couldn't properly secure the tailgate.
I ran two hacksaw cuts part way down the tailgate and bent that section out, I then bent some mild steel strap to weld in place so the rear wheel had somewhere to fit and if I wanted I could cut off the strap, straighten the tailgate and weld it back as it was.
Yamaha MT09, The Scud Missile
I'm out of my depth in a carpark puddle.
Toy Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:41 PM   #20
sb_250y
Safari Finisher 2011

Oddometer: 167
I borrowed a trailer to pick up the outfit once we got off the Spirit of Tasmania.

Essentially an 8 x 6 steel ute tray converted, the guy I borrowed it from had 3 Adventure bikes in it before, easily

11 ZX14
70 R5 + 73 RD350
sb_250y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #21
spacekadet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
more info...

Thanks for suggestions and posts on this. Still thinking about options, but I went to a local trailer manufacturer to ask about it. I rode my bike there (XC800) so he could measure it up.

Findings:

1. Width-wise, can only fit 3 bikes of this size by offsetting one of them by nearly a metre (so the handlebars of the other two go over its seat of the middle bike). I prefer to avoid loading a bike backwards - too hard :(

2. Length-wise, bike will just fit on an 8 ft tray (so there's no room to offset fore/aft).

3. As mentioned by several other guys, weight is a serious issue. A basic 8 x 5 weighs around 250 kg. So two big adv bikes would put it right on the max gross weight. Three just can't be done, legally.

Solution (maybe) ... I'm negotiating to get an 8x5 with a "runway" that extend out on to the drawbar. The tray will have reinforced tie-down points that I can remove when not needed. The rig will have brakes and it will be manufactured for 1,000 max gross. However, there's a fine line here: using heavier steel needed for 1,000 kg gross will bump the weight of the trailer up, so the three bikes may still put it over 1,000 kg. It really depends on which bikes they are. Right now I am looking at 1 x XC 800, 1 x KLR and 1 x Versus 650, so it *might* be OK.

A dual-axle configuration would nail it, but the basic trailer cost is up to about $2k then, without even putting the bike modifications on :(. For somethign that was supposed to be just a "bolt-on" convenience, it is really getting impractical.

As to why I am trailering rather than riding: that allows me to fit riding in with other weekend duties. Also allows me to bypass boring highway drones on the bike, and just go for the interesting parts.

spacekadet screwed with this post 04-06-2014 at 05:54 PM
spacekadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #22
Idratherberiding
my KTM 950 Adventure!

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb View Post

An element of my post was wind-up / facetious*, but it also had a grain of truth within it.
(* Got a bite! Heh, heh, heh )

Fair enough jtb, as you raise a couple of points I had not considered as I come from a background of my main mode of transport being my bike, so I try hard to never trailer it! This also has the side benefit of letting me enjoy the ride-journey; that often also includes tar enroute to the intended dirt destination as part of a mixed experience.

You are right. It is not wrong because it is different, though I can vouch that there is a different kind of adventure that can be found on some tar roads too!

For me, one of the best features of large dual-sport bikes, is that they can do both modes with a high degree of competence.

I've travelled a long way,
~ and most of the roads weren't paved!
Idratherberiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:37 PM   #23
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer: 19,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevgriff64 View Post
Where's Mouse when you need him?
Ya a Preck Nev

But from experience I can tell you that 2 BMW Adventures and an Orange KT whats a macall it wont fit on a 3 bike trailer .. no matter how much abuse you cop whilst on the Great Central Road
Old 04-07-2014, 02:41 AM   #24
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacekadet View Post

Solution (maybe) ... I'm negotiating to get an 8x5 with a "runway" that extend out on to the drawbar. The tray will have reinforced tie-down points that I can remove when not needed. The rig will have brakes and it will be manufactured for 1,000 max gross. However, there's a fine line here: using heavier steel needed for 1,000 kg gross will bump the weight of the trailer up, so the three bikes may still put it over 1,000 kg. .
Why limit yourself to 1 T ? You should be able to get well above that without the hassle of going dual axle. For some light evening reading, start here

http://www.trailersailerplace.com.au...p?f=11&t=10956
Dr AT is offline   Reply With Quote