philth

Oddometer: 5,754
nice!
where was that?
Old 03-17-2014, 03:36 AM   #152
Jdeks
Departed

Oddometer: 937
Blue Rag and surrounding areas (tea tree range, twins jeep track, wonnangatta valley and ...some other places. Cant remember, but judging from the gradient I think they were aimed more at hikers....)

Frank Pons has reworked the suspension since....holy shit this bike can MOVE.

I just have to learn not to ride it like a 950 (point, blast, pray).
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:11 PM   #153
RAR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Really cool video !. . . . I feel like going for a ride now .
RAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:01 AM   #154
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,553
Video cam

LOL Sidetrack Bob, I've just uploaded more videos from last weeks ride, also found a new spot for a rearward facing camera

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:16 PM   #155
sidetrack one OP
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 4,613
terryK and Jdeks, great videos!
No need for me to post any!
I will be doing the big reveal on mine shortly, the TTR that is, lets say that it is ................unique which is how I like my bikes to be
sidetrack one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:17 AM   #156
TerryK
Ulysses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeks View Post
My first ride out on the TTR.

Love your work, great job on the editing

cheers Terry

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
Old 03-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #157
TerryK
Ulysses

Yet another video, bit of a rough hill

Gee this little TTR is such a good bike, was out with 3 DR650's & a KTM690 enduro & the Yamaha flew up this hill easier & quicker than the others.
They dared me to ride down the hill & back up, here's the video

">
Old 04-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #158
DRBJJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
TTR 250 Tyres

I finally bought a TTR 250 after good advice on this forum. Great bike to ride, easy to handle and lots of fun. I'm now looking for some tyres. I will mainly ride dirt (90/10), the bike is registered so will get street legal nobbies.I like Dunlop 606s I had these on my dr650 and they seemed ok. The local tyre place suggested Michelin ac10. Just wondering what size Dunlop 606 go on the ttr 250?
DRBJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #159
BarryS
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I guess I've had my TTR250 for over a month now, but finally feel able to post in here since I have bolted it back together well enough to take it out for an afternoon around the Perth Hills and be happy with it...

Well, happy other than a squeak from the rear suspension - I suspect it's that upper shock bearing. Sidetrack_one, did you find that cleaning and regreasing that bearing was enough to fix the problem? What sort of grease did you use? I tried cleaning and regreasing my bearing with molybdenum grease, but it was making a nice eeeee eeeee with every whoop.
BarryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:51 PM   #160
MacMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Don't over tyre the rear. My old TTR handled best with a 100/100 R18 rear. I always found the issue with a little bike on fast open stuff was having the front push through corners once speed meant it was hard to get the rear to spin up. Front tyres are more important - both pattern and pressure - and have to match riding conditions.

A good waterproof grease is the go for those wretched suspension bearings. Moly grease is not ideal when exposed to water.
MacMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:52 PM   #161
Jdeks
Departed

Oddometer: 937
Based on what I've read, and what the previous owner told me, both the upper and lower shock bearings are notoriously sloppy. I trust he's not telling porkies - his shed alone was enough to tell me he takes his bikes seriously, and this was his third TTR. I saw the brand new ones he put in before I took the bike home, and my rear still has play in it, albeit with no squeak.

Best you can do is grease up all the surfaces and live with it...as far as I know?

If anyone knows a fix...
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:03 PM   #162
philth
philth

Oddometer: 5,754
put some cow shit on it
muffles the squeak nicely
Old 04-04-2014, 04:04 PM   #163
sidetrack one OP
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 4,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
Don't over tyre the rear. My old TTR handled best with a 100/100 R18 rear. I always found the issue with a little bike on fast open stuff was having the front push through corners once speed meant it was hard to get the rear to spin up. Front tyres are more important - both pattern and pressure - and have to match riding conditions.

A good waterproof grease is the go for those wretched suspension bearings. Moly grease is not ideal when exposed to water.
Did you do what I did ,in the pics back a page? You need to take the bearing side plates off and rotate the inner spherical ball to get grease into the actual surface where the bearing works. Just some waterproof grease is fine
Sorry Macman, meant to quote BarryS!
sidetrack one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:23 PM   #164
MacMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
The lack of grease nipples on the TTR linkages was a major oversight I reckon. Considering the likelihood of everything else on the bike lasting decades the engineers really should have done better on that front.

The old TT 250 and 350 had them if memory serves me correctly. A dealer explained to me that too often people would pump and pump and pump with the grease gun, pop the seals out which resulted in premature bearing failure. Nothing can ever be completely idiot proof because eventually, nature builds a better idiot. But I would have preferred to be able to grease those $80 bearings without full disassembly.

And for the record, I never found one of those spherical bearings which didn't have play in it straight out of the packet. Lost count of the actual number I'd serviced on the bikes we had over 15 years. It was a lot.

FYI, this Belray stuff was my preferred grease.

MacMan screwed with this post 04-04-2014 at 06:24 PM Reason: detail
MacMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:52 AM   #165
DRBJJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post

What type and size tyre do you like on the front?
DRBJJ is offline   Reply With Quote