Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2011, 10:23 AM   #31
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,474
Haven't lost a close friend...but I have lost a friend and some acquaintances. I am very sorry for your loss.

I know several Central Texas fellas have commented that they are re-thinking their riding after a couple weeks of carnage here locally. I hit a fawn (or really, the fawn hit me, taking out my front tire) and broke my wrist and hand pretty badly. Two weekends later, my riding buddy hit an oily spot mid corner and just lawn-darted himself in a high-side. 11 broken bones and still counting. Surgery Monday.

But if history holds, none of my bunch will quit. I have only had two fellas quit over the years and stay quit. One couldn't ever get over the randomness of his two accidents. The other developed a heart issue and became tethered to within half an hour of a major hospital. I still miss both of them on the road.

I stopped riding for 5 or 6 months when my daughter's first year med school tuition was in a critical situation (as in, I had no idea how I was gonna help her pay) and I simply couldn't afford to fall down. So, maybe I "get it". My kid ain't gonna lose her dream if it's something I can control. So, for next 3 or 4 years, if ya see me by the side of the road, and it is pretty much guaranteed that I'm gonna be disabled for a fair bit, run over me again. ;)

So....for my kid. I get that. The rest of it? Not really. I'm gonna ride 2 wheels till I can't. Then I'll get something with 3.

Again, it's a personal choice. Take some time, and then do what feels right.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 08-13-2011 at 10:30 AM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #32
California
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 2,950
I have maintained, for years, that you can not become the safest, best rider you can, until you have realized, and fully comprehended what risks and responsibilities come with motorcycling.

The key word is "responsibilities"! Are you prepared for the potential injuries to you, your family, your friends. Are you actually aware of the possibilities, and have you done everything in your power to be prepared? Do you have the right insurance? Is your medical and long term disabillity ins. up to date? Are your assets in a trust so your spouse doesn't have to go through probate? Are you wearing appropriate gear? Have you done all you can to make yourself and your bike more visable?

Do you accept the responsibility for whatever happens to you while riding? I believe that at least 95%, maybe as high as 99% of all motorcycle accidents could have been avoided or prevented by the rider! Sure, cars do make unexpected U-turns, and they do pull out of driveways without looking, and they do change lanes into "your" space, but should you have "seen it coming"? Should you have been riding slower and noticed the car up ahead put on their brakelights and pull to the right shoulder? That would be a warning that even without a turn signal, they might be U-turning? Why were you doing 40 through a residential neighborhood and not noticed that the streets were lined with parked cars that a dog, a kid, a ball, a car could come out from behind with little or no warning? Have you practiced your emergency braking? Did you skip getting ABS because "I can brake better" or "it costs too much"!

When you have answered all the questions, and looked yourself in the mirror and said, I am doing this as safely and as well as I can, I love riding, and I'm prepared for the worst, then and only then, should you get back on a bike and call yourself a "motorcyclist".

It's just my opinion, and it's worth what you payed for it......

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference
California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:33 AM   #33
lampy29
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Sorry for your loss.

I'm a medic for a local ambulance corp and even after responding to some pretty grizzly motorcycle accidents I wouldn't give it up for anything. Live well and die happy. Even after considering it there's nothing that's like riding down a dirt road with a couple buddies.

And +1 for what California said
lampy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #34
HighScore
No More, all done.

Oddometer: 927
I agree

"If I die and on a motorcycle, then it was a good death. I died doing something I love to do. No, I don't want to die young, but if I don't do those things I love to do, am I really alive, or am I just living for the possibility of life tomorrow?"

That's how I felt until I got married and had my daugter. Now every time I go for a ride I see her running down the back lane yelling "daddy come back". I have had many close calls including being hit from behind by a van that was doing 60 mph. It's seems every time I go for a short ride i come across a cage who nearly kills me. Yes I love to ride. But over the years I have lost five friends to motorcycle related fatalities. There are other things in life that are more important at the moment. I've been riding since the age of 7. Losts of crashes, and lots of scars. If you are worried that "today could be the day" each time you get on the bike. Then it's time for at least a break.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:07 AM   #35
Snowlover
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Saw a MC accident scene Friday minutes after the crash. Body was in the road with a blanket over it. Slept very little and still cannot get the image out of my mind. Found out Sunday morning it was a cage that drifted into the MC lane. Did not look like a head on, but the cage clipped the bike and that was it. I have really been hankering for a sport cruiser, but this shot of reality has made me focus on MC riding for pleasure and reduce opportunities to be hit, so for now, the 2nd street bike option will be delayed and I will continue to ride my dual sport with increased attention on cagers.
Snowlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #36
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Oddometer: 3,547
sorry about your buddy.i've lost 3 friends in bike&4 wheeler accidents.
never even considered giving up either .but it does make you think.

It's mostly Dan........I knew he couldn't keep a secret(SCOTTY P)
eddie bolted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:14 PM   #37
mrxinpa
Just Get Out and Ride !!!

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighScore View Post
". If you are worried that "today could be the day" each time you get on the bike. Then it's time for at least a break.

I think this is an excellent point. If there is any doubt in your mind .. doubt has no place in a helmet!!
80 CB900 Custom(Restoring)
mrxinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:32 PM   #38
craigman
Lost in the woods

Oddometer: 444
Sorry about your friend. Over the years I've seen my share of get offs, (Dirt and street) And I never thought of giving this up. I think your friend would want you to continue living a life full of happiness and adventure. If you're not feeling it right now thats understandable. Take a break and mix it up. My guess is you'll end up back in the saddle. Good luck.

Sod Buster; "That job Sucks unless you have a monkey."
craigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:30 AM   #39
tallnbig68
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quitting Riding Motorcycles

Rode BMW's with a sidecar summer and winter when younger. About 1978 an altercation with a Toronto streetcar on a wet slippery winter's night destroyed the chair, the bike and my physical being. Three years later purchased a new Honda Goldwing, and started to ride, again. Four years ago and now retired and still riding was told I had cancer stage C III and it would be best if I lost my left kidney and my spleen and all my lymph nodes, all riddled with cancer. A long surgery followed by chemo of three years with breaks in between ensured whatever strength I had was now gone. The Goldwing had been well used, had over 500,000 on the clock and it too was tired.

Was physically weak and unable to do many things I could once do. Even driving an automobile was difficult.

Sold the Goldwing with much reluctance. In the process of the cancer chemo discovered I had Lupus which explaied the heavy perspiration under my leathers from years before. Am a very big person, close to seven feet in height and weighing about 400 pounds. Have always been enormous from grade school through secondary school and in the working world. Have thought of returning to motorcycling perhaps with a sidecar once again (have no love for trikes) however even finding a large enough tug is well nigh impossible. There would have to be serious alterations performed to the machine for me to ride again.
It is bad enough looking for a new motor vehicle to replace my 14 year old Honda Civic. Not much with sufficient leg room and head room and comfort. And if I was to return to motorcycling, would look for custom made non-leather riding wear.

Presently there are too many negative factors; large protective motorcycle riding boots can be found, however often are not wide enough, ditto fabric based riding wear, gloves (I can still pick up a fully inflated basketball with one hand) and of course large helmets (head size is now 8.75) which means I'd have to really look for something.

At age 65 do I really want to start all over again? As it is even lifting a leg over a motorcycle saddle can be fraught with difficulties. And too all those people wI rode with years before are now gone, either deceased or have stopped riding a motorcycle for various reasons. Life changes, and with it our own outlook on life itself.

I don't travel stateside for various political reasons however that's where many people prefer to tour. Nope, the idea is good, the possibilities are not endless. And the roads are becoming populated by more and more vehicles with drivers who have a total disregard for rules and laws.

And yes have lost friends, more from cancer and coronary thrombosis than from trauma post motorcycle incidents. The young riders of today still consider themselves indestructable; i always wore full leathers top to bottom and heavy construction boots and welder's goves for protection. The helmt was often the largest Bell, with the foam lining pressed with a rounded object to relieve pressure points. Life was good, then; now am still alive and dreaming wistfully.

Returning to ride depending upon your ow mental being as well as where you dwell makes a difference whether you return or not.

tallnbig68 screwed with this post 09-05-2011 at 02:36 AM Reason: shifted lines
tallnbig68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #40
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Just found this thread. A bit late, but sorry for your loss.

I always reflect, at times like this, on the loss of a friend of mine, I will call him D. He was driving home in a motorhome from a great weekender with his wife and sons and friends all in a caravan. Some idiot decides he cant go on with life and wants to kill himself in his little econoturdbox car and crosses the centerline straight infront of my dear friend D who was so full of life and kindness and generosity.

It devastated his wife and 4 sons lives, they have never been the same. It affected 2 other families who he helped support in more ways than one. A family of 11 (yes 9 kids...all boys) and a quadraplegic father who thru the generosity of my dear friend D got to enjoy many vacations and great times. D took the family of 11 camping and to the river and always included them in his social gatherings, always on D's dime. D was truely a wonderful man.

The point is here, at least for me, is: Should D have just sat at home and not taken his family out on vacations and just sat at home just in the interest of what "might happen"? Of course not! Then his kids would not even have those great memories of times with their dad.

I can not and will not live my life worrying about what could happen! A plane "could" crash into your house while you are sitting at home wishing you could be riding.
A car could run a red light and t-bone you in your family car, same thing as a bike.

Take away my pressure vent of riding a MC and my life be miserable anyway. BUT, not every MC rider is as dedicated and commited to riding as I may be. Not every rider may get the release of anxiety that I get from riding. I see some people ride that seem to do it for some status or to fit in and identify with some group or friends and deep down may not LOVE riding. I know a guy who even seems stressed out FROM riding. I tell him to quit. He want to fit in with his biker crowd buddies. Why ride if that is you.

If you love it, keep doing it. If it is just economic transportation for you, stop riding.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #41
1worshipguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Still not sure myself

If Kellymac was late...I sure am!!! What 4 years later?

To the OP, I pray you've come to grips with your friend's death and your own future in riding. But for others out there, I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

I've had two wrecks (not including several parking lot get-offs)...the first was a 17 yr old doing a U turn across 4 lanes right in front of me. I was in left lane, she in the right. Seeing her backing out of a parking space, I naturally slow down but when she started her U-turn across my lane...only two things saved me. 1) I had started slowing down and pondering an escape and 2) she just happened to look back into my lane mid-U-turn and slammed on her brakes. Those two things gave me just enough time to do an evasive swerve to the left. Her left front bumper hit my right pannier...but luckily not even hard enough for me to go down. If she hadn't stopped...I can only imagine what that T-bone would've looked like. (not to mention her leaving the scene AND lying to the insurance company...so no payout for the damage to my pannier).

Second wreck was just a week and a half ago. Me and a buddy coming back from Daytona Bike Week decided to take a portion of the TET (look it up here on ADV). About 100 miles of dirt roads into this portion of the trip ("dirt" really means "sand" in South Georgia), the packed sand roads suddenly became 4-6 inches deep soft sand. I couldn't recover a tank slapper and got thrown into a sand bank. Thankfully "only" bruised ribs and a little road rash on my knee. Still hurts though. The bike's a GS Adventure...so only cosmetic damage...those things are beasts!

Those two incidents, only a few months apart, and I can't help but think about my wife, 3 girls (5yrs, 3yrs, 6weeks), and my income being the only income. Yes, I'm covered in disability, and life insurance...but is that really a good argument? I can't even pick my girls up and hug them right now. The physical pain is just to much. It took almost 2 weeks for me to be able to sleep in the same bed as my wife (somewhat upright on the couch was my only option). And sneezing...o my goodness...it hurts almost as much as the wreck itself!

As other posters have said, it just feels so selfish right now. So much so I was actually hoping the insurance would total the bike so I wouldn't have to make an excuse for selling it.

Don't get me wrong. It is in my blood. Been riding for almost 20 years. Riding is my stress relief. It is my only real hobby. As someone once said, "If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand." But is it worth it for me? I'm just not sure yet.

A Jeep sounds pretty enticing right now. Maybe a camper. Something I can do with the family. I know I'd miss it. I know I'd get back to it someday. But I might be done for a season. I really can't say for sure yet.
1worshipguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #42
Old Blue
Shallow waterman

Oddometer: 1,474
Shit! Heal well and fast!
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #43
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,629
I think the connotation 'quitting' seems alien to most guys.....

Why not say 'decided not to ride anymore'
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #44
Apxgrndr
In the snow

Oddometer: 968
I just sold my GS! With two small kids I'm just not riding long trips anymore.

I am also struggling with weather I should ride and get my kids involved in it or not.

I will probably take the summer and just mountain bike, see how much I miss it.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #45
Manymotos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quitting motorcycles.

Sorry to hear of your friends accident. You always have the opportunity to NOT ride. Let me tell you about my experience.

I started riding at 13 years old. Got on the street when I was 17. When I was 23 we had our first of two children, my daughter. One and a half years later we had our son. Looking at the two of them I decided I needed to stop riding because these children had to be raised and motorcycles made the responsibility of raising them risky. If I had a bad accident I might not be able to raise them.

As my children grew my son asked me about the pictures around the house of motorcycles as well as a few hare scrambles and trials trophies that I had won when I was younger. He asked numerous times if he could have a motorcycle and I always nipped the question in the bud. I told him he didn't need to ride a motorcycle because they were too dangerous.

At 20 years of age, driving back to college from a weekend at home my son was involved in an automobile accident that killed him. Two weeks later I had my first motorcycle since the children were born. I won't stop again unless I physically can't get on one.

You can't totally control what is going on around you! You can be more in tune with your situational awareness and hopefully it will help keep you out of the way of trouble although you'll never be totally safe.

Today my only regret is that I didn't keep riding after the children were born and introduce both of them to motorcycling. I think my son would have truly enjoyed it but I never gave him the opportunity.

So, stay alert, be careful, anticipate poor drivers, ride your motorcycle and enjoy the life you have.
Manymotos is offline   Reply With Quote