ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 82 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 07:22 PM   #3496
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Yea, definitely not going that route... I might as well just start renting bikes for when I want to ride them as well. That would solve that whole "too much money in my bank account" problem I've been having.

I don't think the service is overpriced, but as I will only be needing it a few months out of the year, paying for a year of service is paying for more than what I will actually be using. Such is life though. I'll most likely end up picking one up anyhow.
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:43 PM   #3497
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBone View Post
Yea, definitely not going that route... I might as well just start renting bikes for when I want to ride them as well. That would solve that whole "too much money in my bank account" problem I've been having.

I don't think the service is overpriced, but as I will only be needing it a few months out of the year, paying for a year of service is paying for more than what I will actually be using. Such is life though. I'll most likely end up picking one up anyhow.
You might want to look for the I or II if the III's basic plan is $149 per year.

Also, we only ride part of the year, of course, so we keep the Spots in our cars in case of emergencies like snowstorms or other unforeseen situations. If we're paying for the service, we might as well use it.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:44 PM   #3498
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBone View Post
...I don't think the service is overpriced, but as I will only be needing it a few months out of the year, paying for a year of service is paying for more than what I will actually be using. Such is life though. I'll most likely end up picking one up anyhow.
Yeah, I had those same thoughts before I started using a Spot device. Went without tracking for a year or so, then added that and never looked back.

You could always trying canceling your subscription when you know you're not going to need it & then restarting it when you do need it. Customer service is usually pretty helpful and I don't see why they'd mind. In my case I've never wanted to say---nope, won't be needing the Spot for the next 4 months----always holding out hope for that next adventure

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:15 PM   #3499
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 722
I just found out I could add 6 months of tracking to my existing $100 basic service account (Spot 2) for $7.26. That was good news to me so I signed up.
COHVCO #7369
Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:59 PM   #3500
VietHorse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgegs View Post
The monthly Spot is kind of a joke.
You still have to have a one year contract, but you pay a 14.99 payment each month vs the 149.99 one time payment (Spot3 basic pricing example).
Is it?
I was asking about monthly subscription in another Spot thread. Thought I saw their option (or just the statement) about monthly rate on their website.
I have tried to register, but there was no option of Monthly payment on the registration screen.
I don't plan to need the subscription for all year round, and I am willing to pay for short term subscription.
Let's say if the Yearly charge is $100, then monthly charge is up to $20 still acceptable, to me.

Link to All about VietNam

VietHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:25 AM   #3501
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by VietHorse View Post
Is it?
I was asking about monthly subscription in another Spot thread. Thought I saw their option (or just the statement) about monthly rate on their website.
I have tried to register, but there was no option of Monthly payment on the registration screen.
I don't plan to need the subscription for all year round, and I am willing to pay for short term subscription.
Let's say if the Yearly charge is $100, then monthly charge is up to $20 still acceptable, to me.
I think you misunderstood, in order to use the monthly service you have to sign a 12 month contract, so essentially you must pay for all 12 months. Since it's more expensive by month than the annual plan it's a worse deal.

The thing I'm not sure of is what happens after that 12 months. If you could sign up for the first 12 months, then move to month to month after that it might be worth it, provided you stay active long enough to see the break even point.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:24 AM   #3502
Pine Sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
interactive multi spot user map?

last summer i drove across russia from west to east, during the first bit of my trip my spot worked.
chatting to others (in HUBB threads) who were also travelling, it was extremely difficult to search individual addresses, in the hope of finding someone close by.

would be really amazing (for those who wanted to) if we could individually load our addresses in to real time map, where we could see exactly where each other was....

does something like this actually exist?
Pine Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:59 AM   #3503
DonVulpes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Sorry if this has already been covered, but I tried a search and couldn't anything and 230+ pages on this thread was starting to turn me blind

I have the Spot Connect and I'm looking to see if it's possible to power it directly from my bike ?
It seems a massive oversight, if it can't
Old 05-05-2014, 09:36 AM   #3504
bhb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVulpes View Post
Sorry if this has already been covered, but I tried a search and couldn't anything and 230+ pages on this thread was starting to turn me blind

I have the Spot Connect and I'm looking to see if it's possible to power it directly from my bike ?
It seems a massive oversight, if it can't
I don't have a Connect (I've got the normal Gen2), and required lithium batteries last for a season, of not longer. Of all the things I've wished I could power with the bikes, it wasn't the spot.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:34 PM   #3505
DonVulpes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhb View Post
I don't have a Connect (I've got the normal Gen2), and required lithium batteries last for a season, of not longer. Of all the things I've wished I could power with the bikes, it wasn't the spot.
They won't last long enough for a single trip for me ( I'll be using the tracking feature and batteries will only last a week or so ). In Europe getting batteries won't be an issue, but I imagine going on longer and 'wilder' trips it could.

If nothing else, it would have been good if the device could have been charged overnight, with a built-in battery, like a phone etc.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #3506
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
Spotwalla map to find ADV inmates on the road

YES!
https://spotwalla.com/locationViewer.php?id=45

Look here for details: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=633556
-ceej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Sol View Post
last summer i drove across russia from west to east, during the first bit of my trip my spot worked.
chatting to others (in HUBB threads) who were also travelling, it was extremely difficult to search individual addresses, in the hope of finding someone close by.

would be really amazing (for those who wanted to) if we could individually load our addresses in to real time map, where we could see exactly where each other was....

does something like this actually exist?
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #3507
blueridgegs
make time to ride

Oddometer: 714
Spot Activation Half Off Through May 11

Just got an email from Spot. Activation is half off through May 11, 2014.
Didn't search far enough to know if code is for new activation only or code will work with renewal if it fits this time slot. My guess is new activation only.
blueridgegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:19 PM   #3508
2000RSV
Go Fast, Go Long

Oddometer: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgegs View Post
Just got an email from Spot. Activation is half off through May 11, 2014.
Didn't search far enough to know if code is for new activation only or code will work with renewal if it fits this time slot. My guess is new activation only.
New activation only.

Damn. Just started my new activation at full boat about a month ago. Haven't ridden anywhere where I used it either. Oh well.
2000RSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:26 AM   #3509
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

My Spot 2 kept shutting itself off randomly to the point where I thought it had died and was going to need replacement. Tried new batteries, made no difference.

Today I tried a couple of foam earplugs in the battery case to stop the batteries moving around and it's worked properly all day.

Fingers crossed.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:20 PM   #3510
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Two days, not one shutdown. I think those earplugs fixed my Spot perfectly.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.