User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2014, 03:39 AM   #1
AndrewGills OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Shipping Darwin or Fremantle to Asia

Hi. Sorry if this has been asked before. I did browse the first few pages of this section of the forum but didn't see an answer so am asking.

Anyway, does anyone have recent experience shipping a bike from Australia to Asia?

I am deciding whether to:
(a) ride my motorbike from Brisbane to Cape Town via Norway
OR
(b) buy a bike in Cape Town and ride to Brisbane via Norway

My current threshold issues are:
- shipping costs and challenges of getting bike from Oz to Asia
- challenges with getting registration and carnet in Africa.

Departure on 1 November 2014.

Cheers.
AndrewGills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:33 AM   #2
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGills View Post
- shipping costs and challenges of getting bike from Oz to Asia
The most common way is probably the cargo shipping line, that goes between Darwin and Dili (East Timor)... and it should actually continue to Singapore, but in that case you would miss Indonesia. You can΄t go on that boat yourself, you have to fly. And then there are even smaller cargo boats operating between Sumatra and peninsular Malaysia. Your bike will need a carnet for Indonesia.

Freighting should be possible from any major air- or seaport in Oz. Having your bike arrive as freight into Indonesia could create a lot of problems with the customs, though.

I went the other way in early 2008, arrived in Bali just when the coup attempt took place in East Timor, and because of the resulting unrest over there, decided to airfreight my bike from Bali to Perth using Quantas. But this was expensive (about 1200 euros for the bike alone!) I think the cargo connection between Darwin & Dili won΄t cost nearly as much.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:35 AM   #3
TassieMark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
The most common way is probably the cargo shipping line, that goes between Darwin and Dili (East Timor)... and it should actually continue to Singapore, but in that case you would miss Indonesia. You can΄t go on that boat yourself, you have to fly. And then there are even smaller cargo boats operating between Sumatra and peninsular Malaysia. Your bike will need a carnet for Indonesia.

Freighting should be possible from any major air- or seaport in Oz. Having your bike arrive as freight into Indonesia could create a lot of problems with the customs, though.

I went the other way in early 2008, arrived in Bali just when the coup attempt took place in East Timor, and because of the resulting unrest over there, decided to airfreight my bike from Bali to Perth using Quantas. But this was expensive (about 1200 euros for the bike alone!) I think the cargo connection between Darwin & Dili won΄t cost nearly as much.
I concur with Pecha. Toll charge a flat fee for a motorbike, last time I checked it was around $360 from Darwin to Dili, and another $50 fee in Dili to retrieve the bike. I can recommend the trip through Indonesia, a real fun time, simple, no hassles and friendly people. Whichever way you go, I would buy the carnet in Australia, it is a straight forward process, contact your state based automobile club, eg RACV, NRMA etc.
Regards,
Mark
TassieMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:13 PM   #4
AndrewGills OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thanks for the tips.

So the next hurdle after I get myself to Malaysia and SE Asia is what to do about Burma ... I have a friend who is living in Burma but I doubt that will be enough to get me into the country on a foreign motorbike.

I have Indonesian heritage and a half-uncle there so would be pretty cool to see him and his family. And if it's common to get boats across the islands to Malaysia then this might be a good option. I am a bit concerned that I might be stuck in South Africa with a headache trying to register a bike I buy there and also with an expensive "tourist" excess on the carnet I would need to buy there.

Hmm ... Good thing I still have 7 months before I depart.
AndrewGills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #5
ShaneBaby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Im heading off this week to leave Brisbane and head to Europe. There is a massive advantage of having a qld regod bike is that it doesnt need to be roadworthyed ever year like a nsw bike.

The Australian Carnet people are very helpful and It only takes 2 weeks and I payed 1060$ for a 2009 DR650 Carnet

I havent booked in Darwin I rang toll shipping and they said turn up on the 10th with a bike that has a Carnet and has cleared customs and we will take it to Dilil for around $450.
Then its RORO ferrys until entry to Malaysia which is abit more of hassle but fairly easy via Mr Lin and a onion boat.
Then I hope to find a group heading across Mynmar or fly my bike from Bangkok to Kathmandu :)
ShaneBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:12 PM   #6
TassieMark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
onion boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneBaby View Post
... is a bit more of hassle but fairly easy via Mr Lin and a onion boat..
This sounds interesting. Is this from Sumatra to Malaysia? What are the ports and I wonder if you can travel on the boat?
And have a great trip, I'm excited for you, and I bet you are too?
Cheers,
Mark
TassieMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:05 PM   #7
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,095
probably means mr.Lim, his company operates small cargo boats from Penang. I used his service in feb-08, at least back then the boats went to Belawan (near Medan), and they did not take passengers. Didn't cost very much. Regards paperwork, Indo to Malaysia is probably a bit easier than v.v., but for me it all went smoothly.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #8
peter4d
Life is adventure

Oddometer: 208
Indo to Malaysia shipping contacts

I have some info for you re shipping heading towards Malaysia.

Mr Lim
Cakra Enterprise,
187, 2nd Floor, Lebuh Pantai
Georgetown, Penang, MALAYSIAt
Email: cakrashipping@gmail.com
Mobile +60124709717

• Shipment is every Tuesday from Belawan to Penang
• Agent in Belawan is:

Mr Anan
Pt Melda Jaya (his shipping company)
49 Jalan Bangka Timur (tiny street in north Belawan)
Belawan, INDONESIA
Mobile: 081376510927 or 06177908505

If you need directions to find their offices just give me a shout.

Cheers,