Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2014, 08:22 PM   #286
LS650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I think there is a difference between hi-viz (fluorescent yellow, etc.) and reflective. I have reflective tape on my helmet, gear and bike, and I think it makes a HUGE difference for being seen in dark conditions. I tend to get a different bike every two years or so, and one of the first things I do is put reflective rim tape on the wheels for better night-time visibility.

The hi-viz neon colors on the other hand... hmm, I dunno. I'm not convinced that the colors help so much.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:24 PM   #287
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by homme de fer View Post
If you were to compare a non high vis to a high vis suit, there isn't any doubt the high vis will be easier to see from all distances in all light types.

The problem is most accidents happen because of driver inattention; how is a driver going to see your high vis suit when they are far too busy typing out a text and posting a selfie to Facebook?

I ride assuming that all cagers are blind mouth breathing retards and do my best to stay out their way.
True enough. A friend of mine who has been riding for more than 30 years describes it as a game of inches, and his point is that good long-term survival strategy is multi-layered and accounts for contingencies. Got skills? Great, but without situational awareness they won't do much to keep you out of trouble? Got good situational awareness? Excellent, but you can't be omniscient, and if high-vis gear makes you stand out against the visual clutter so that the drivers that you didn't see but who ARE looking can keep track of you so they CAN avoid you, that could just be the edge that keeps you out of somebody's wheel well or engine compartment. They hit you anyway? Well, you got banged up pretty bad but your injuries could have been much worse because your gear saved your hide from being erased and your skull from being smashed in. Oh, and the high-vis color made it a little easier for the pimply-faced teenager to see you in time against the road surface so he could swerve at the last split second to avoid running all over you in his tuner car.

I don't wear high-vis all the time, and when I don't, I don't feel like I am tempting fate. When I do wear it, I don't feel safer. It's just there to give me a slightly better chance of avoiding being run over by a driver who is alert but cannot discern me from the myriad other things competing for his attention.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:05 AM   #288
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by homme de fer View Post
The problem is most accidents happen because of driver inattention; how is a driver going to see your high vis suit when they are far too busy typing out a text and posting a selfie to Facebook?
Have you considered just how many elderly drivers are on the road with significantly reduced eye sight, know in their hearts they should hang up the licence, but won't because it means a major loss of independence. They'll continue to drive until virtually forced to stop. And don't think you'll likely be any different when your their age.

What rider stands the best chance of being seen by these elderly drivers with failing vision.... darth vader or chicken man?

Gee this is silly thread.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:14 AM   #289
scfrank
I'm back - sort of.

Oddometer: 7,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalePhase View Post
but without situational awareness they won't do much to keep you out of trouble? Got good situational awareness? Excellent, but you can't be omniscient.
Good statement for life in general. Especially in the high risk situation on the road.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:22 AM   #290
scfrank
I'm back - sort of.

Oddometer: 7,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post

I prefer stealth. They can't hit what they can't see.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:44 AM   #291
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,407
Don't see how hi viz can hurt. Not likely to be a make or break type thing, but every little bit helps.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:50 AM   #292
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
Have you considered just how many elderly drivers are on the road with significantly reduced eye sight, know in their hearts they should hang up the licence, but won't because it means a major loss of independence. They'll continue to drive until virtually forced to stop. And don't think you'll likely be any different when your their age.

What rider stands the best chance of being seen by these elderly drivers with failing vision.... darth vader or chicken man?

Gee this is silly thread.
And not only do they have poor eyesight, but they are exceedingly well-medicated. They have the reaction time of a sloth.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #293
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,335
passive believer. i favor white helmets and all my riding jackets have reflective piping of some sort. however the jackets are not hi-viz, exactly. black and brown and blue, respectively. but at night you will be noticed. the stuff shimmers in the day, but that is not "hi viz" as i understand it. i also wear a couple of helmets with colorful and sparkly trim, but i do not think that will get me noticed

i carry a riding vest most days now. it has modest horizontal stripes along it. for me hi viz is mostly an "at night" thing. and a white helmet for the day, sure. but for day riding it stops at the helmet. if that. and the vest allows me the option. its not a "riding" vest. just a simple one like a crossing guard wears

otherwise i ride in black, brown, and blue, essentially.

hmm? so i guess i i am a believer more so at night? make no mistake i know i am invisible during the day, too. but whats beyond being invisible? half blind cagers at night, is what. so wearing a jacket or vest or helmet (all three if you like) gives you a chance of being noticed in the dark

but all in all, just like in the "loud pipes" thread, i believe these things to be passive "protection" and not really doing anything. i am still a rider on a bike and my own responsibility. when i wear these things i don't think about it, i just do. and i do not notice being cut off or turned in front of any less. at night on the freeway the other night it gave me some ease. i have long thought motorcycle lights on the freeways can be nearly "not there." so a vest is welcome as i want people ahead to see me coming. but i also feel fine with the thin piping on my jackets

i ride the same way day or night. safe for conditions and fully aware of where i am at, my surroundings, and most of all the road ahead and what is on it with me. nothing is perfect, but i will see them coming. i will not count on them to see an elephant in the road. even if that elephant is fluorescent green. my "hi viz" gear is on an invisible man that is on a real bike they don't see, anyway. so why would i take for granted they see a vest if they didn't see that BIG machine under it?

i'll just keep riding around 'em, thank you. and trying to stay a step ahead of 'em

in a white helmet

DudeClone screwed with this post 04-05-2014 at 08:04 AM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:29 AM   #294
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by C/1/509 View Post
Don't see how hi viz can hurt. Not likely to be a make or break type thing, but every little bit helps.

Was at a baseball game last night with 55000 people. There were about 12 or so vendors with hi-viz green or yellow t shirts walking about. I made note of them and even while watching the pitcher throw the ball I could easily spot many of them without even looking.
A quick scan and one can see them instantly.

I don't wear hi-viz gear but this really got me thinking of how much these folks stood out. It would have to help on a motorcycle as well.

I'm in the market for a new helmet, may have to look into a hi-viz one.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #295
MotoBoss
Tundra Thumper

Oddometer: 3,287
I was thinking about the 'hi viz' question while attending a pro basketball game the other evening. I started looking around the arena of 18thousand people and very quickly my vision was drawn to those wearing hi viz t'shirts or hoodies. It really surprised me how easily I could spot the hi viz with just a quick glance.
To me it confirmed my current view that hi viz is more,and quickly, noticable. I wear a hi viz vest in low light and poor weather but may have to reconsider full time useage.

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #296
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Solid White FF helmet AND hi-viz

Howdy,

I came to the world of 2 wheels late in life back in '07. I always wear a hi-viz vest and solid White helmet. Seems sensible.
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:41 PM   #297
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
To me it confirmed my current view that hi viz is more,and quickly, noticable. I wear a hi viz vest in low light and poor weather but may have to reconsider full time useage.
I'm wearing hi-viz all the time now when I am on my S-T, mainly because I needed a new helmet and got a great deal on a Bell RS-1 in any color scheme you could want as long as it was high-vis, and it looks even dorkier with my RWB perf leather jacket than with my atomic sunshine textile jacket.

For my "cruiser" I still have my WWI Flying Ace gear.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:16 PM   #298
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalePhase View Post
That's a new one.
I've never ridden pillion before so I have to take her word for it. She's a small lady and doesn't sit high enough to look over my shoulder so she gets a prolonged view of my back and back of my helmet. If it were all Hi-Viz a foot from her face she thought it would be overwhelming. On a bright sunny day that stuff is pretty hard to stare at for long.

Doug