Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2014, 10:42 PM   #91
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyTrains View Post
I had a motor cycle license before I had a car license, so I have always commuted!

First bike was a 1969 CL175 in 1977 and I rode to high school.
No doubt that the earlier you start riding the faster it is to pick up (my dad sold his Kz400 for the express purposes of keeping me from riding it), but how does your commute to your real job now compare with your "commute" to high school and your after-school job?

I think the real question the OP is asking is when do you know you're ready to jump out there and compete for road space with a gaggle of idiots, spazzes, and sociopaths on a daily basis? A lot of that has to do with where you ride and what you're riding, e.g. if you're struggling to turn out from the neighborhood without launching yourself into the trees on the other side of the road, you might want to work on throttle and clutch technique so you don't have surprises at an an intersection and -- maybe more importantly -- you can spend your finite attention span tracking what is going on around you at the intersection instead of being absorbed in the details of getting the bike rolling/stopped.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800

PalePhase screwed with this post 04-04-2014 at 10:55 PM
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:07 PM   #92
Akronorka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
This is the beginning of my fifth season. 27, no kids, and my girl likes to go for long rides on my days off. I think I'm just now getting a little tired of commuting. I work as a cook so finding a place to keep my gear, plus the time spent taking it on and off, has really become a hassle (I wear more/better gear than I did for the past seasons). Where I'm working now is about 8 miles from home so I'm not sure (and not too worried about it either) if I'll see it as worth the time/effort to commute every day I work via bike April-October. I have later in times then I'm used to. I'm already enjoying having a nice ride before work, then leaving the house via car, post shower,to fight off the crazy route I have to take in to work during rush hour all the while puffing down cigs. If I lived further away I wouldn't drive most days. I'm not used to it, I'm not sure what I'll do, all I know is I'm enjoying riding in heavy traffic less and less.

Akronorka screwed with this post 04-04-2014 at 11:13 PM
Akronorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:50 PM   #93
Digasi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
0 min and 0 seconds. The moment I picked up my motorcycle I rode it to work. Commuted with it for two years before picking up my first car. Still commute with the bike every day (minus the snow and ice days).
Digasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:53 PM   #94
TinyTrains
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalePhase View Post
No doubt that the earlier you start riding the faster it is to pick up (my dad sold his Kz400 for the express purposes of keeping me from riding it), but how does your commute to your real job now compare with your "commute" to high school and your after-school job?

I think the real question the OP is asking is when do you know you're ready to jump out there and compete for road space with a gaggle of idiots, spazzes, and sociopaths on a daily basis? A lot of that has to do with where you ride and what you're riding, e.g. if you're struggling to turn out from the neighborhood without launching yourself into the trees on the other side of the road, you might want to work on throttle and clutch technique so you don't have surprises at an an intersection and -- maybe more importantly -- you can spend your finite attention span tracking what is going on around you at the intersection instead of being absorbed in the details of getting the bike rolling/stopped.
A lot different. Two miles of surface street v.s. 24 miles of So Cal freeway.

I realize I was not on the same topic. His real question is "when is a new rider to ready to mix it up with real traffic?"

Emergency stops, and direction changes need to be second nature.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:12 PM   #95
sailorninja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyTrains View Post
A lot different. Two miles of surface street v.s. 24 miles of So Cal freeway.

I realize I was not on the same topic. His real question is "when is a new rider to ready to mix it up with real traffic?"

Emergency stops, and direction changes need to be second nature.
I agree with this, had my first emergency stop since msf 3/16 and I must say, I was shocked in a good way that I remembered what to do. Other people are dangerous and since msf, I've made sure to look twice, even 3 times in a car. I don't want to be another idiot. It paying attention. I do think that the majority of idiotic drivers are irresponsible teens or unsure elderly people. I also agree there is a BIG difference in surface riding and pretty much any CA traffic. That is a whole new level of idiot. (No offense to you CA people!) But I was basically having to watch myself on a mountain bike IN THE BIKE LANE, because these people would drive in the bike lane! Crazy stuff! Anyhoo today was a fun day, left around 10 something and didn't make it back home until around 4:30 visiting overly worried family via bike and taking a few (awkward) photos. Good day though! Must say my tourmaster boots are grand!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
sailorninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:31 PM   #96
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,802
I got my mc license before my car license. So... no time.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk