Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #1351
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisticexchris View Post

THANK YOU! What a great idea for the mounting the Kriega tugger. I'm going to have to try that out under my tube bag.
Chris - I have a rear tube crammed into the tube bag though it's designed for a front tube. If you have a front tube in their it will cover about 50% less of the Kriega Tugger.

Love your bikes and set-ups. I'd be calling you up for a ride as I'm back in LA for a few weeks but no bike this time. Enjoy.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:01 PM   #1352
QDogg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Gave my 20+10+10 it's first real shakedown on the weekend.
1000 kms, high speed asphalt, gravel, creeks, near everything except gnarly single track.
I'm pleased to report that they performed perfectly!
Didn't come loose, easy to pack, put on and take off. Even kept everything dry in the 30 minute downpour of 60mm of rain on the way home.
Wish my backpack was as waterproof as the rollies!
Old 04-08-2014, 02:31 AM   #1353
k1322
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Its settled, i need the US30 for my 2 month trip. To be added is either two US10 side mounted on the US30, or two US20. How well does the US20 compress when not completely full?
Could I go for the US20 and compress them, as well as a US10 would be?

k1322 screwed with this post 04-08-2014 at 12:23 PM
k1322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:54 PM   #1354
leemer
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Adv Platform Mounting Hardware

I tried a number on configurations trying to mount the Adv Platform to the exhaust side of my 2012 KTM 690 ER tonight. I have the touratech pannier racks. Basically there are two clamps with levers and two without. I ended up with the non-lever ones at the bottom forward position and the top rear position. I have one lever clamp on the rear bottom facing down and the other lever clamp on the top forward position facing up. It is this last clamp that I am questioning. Is this even close to how others have configured their clamps? The issue I run into is the top bars of the touratech pannier racks are perfectly spaced to interfere with the top clamps if they are both facing down. Anyone have any pictures of this setup they might share? Thanks in advance.
leemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:02 PM   #1355
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrennMan View Post
Just spotted y'all on Airline, small world. Bike looked sweet!!

Edit: and a second time, now I'm sounding like a creep. I was northbound on 10 and saw y'all across the way. Hope y'all didn't end up too soggy, we know the gear is dry!
Haha! Good spot!

Yeah... That would have been us chucking a quick u-turn and running for the nearest cover, so that Mrs. Kriega USA could pop her waterproofs on, before heading back north. Like so:

We were able to outrun the weather and get one good night under canvas in Kisatchie forest. But it caught up with us the next day, so the birthday long-weekend camping / riding jaunt got cut short...

Tried again this weekend and faired a little better (photo taken somewhere near Keachi... shortly before another massive thunderstorm set-in)...

All good fun though... As I'm sure you know, down here you gotta make the effort, even if it means squaring off your tires on the Interstate just to get anywhere interesting off-slab.

Give us a honk if you see the (not so subtle ) bike again.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread

amanlikemike screwed with this post 04-15-2014 at 04:19 PM
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:10 PM   #1356
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1322 View Post
Its settled, i need the US30 for my 2 month trip. To be added is either two US10 side mounted on the US30, or two US20. How well does the US20 compress when not completely full?
Could I go for the US20 and compress them, as well as a US10 would be?
Hi mate,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

Here's what an empty US-20 looks like:

Impressive, huh?

Like all Kriega gear, these bags are designed to perform best when you need it the most i.e. when hauling gear in them. All our US Drypacks compress to suit whatever load you put in them, but there can be a minimum level on bikes with slim seats (i.e. where the subframe loops extend far enough up that the straps are at max compression before flattening the empty bag to the top of the seat). With more padded / taller seats the bag can be strapped on completely empty, but to be honest, when not in use, you'd be better off just rolling it up and stuffing under the seat, in your pocket or in another pack.

So yeah - the contents of a US-10 will be contained just as well in a US-20. Sure, that packs look cooler, when fully loaded, but they work just as well at 20% too.

Hope that makes sense, but please let me know if you need further clarification.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 04-15-2014, 03:31 PM   #1357
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1322 View Post
Looking at investing in the Kriega US-system. All other of their products are simply awesome. My selection of luggage is based on several criteria, and the Kriega US simply fulfill them all. Probably do a smaller rollbag on the rear rack as well.

Opinions and pictures of the Kriega US70 combo (US30 + two US20) are rare. Mostly because the stand-alone US30 isn't that old. If you have that setup, please share.

Planning to fit a US30 + two US20 side mounted on the US30 (as in the US70 combo) on my XT660R pillion seat. My concern is that its to big. A US30 + two US10 might be more sensible. That does however make less sense, as the US20 can be made smaller. Doing a US20 + two US10 is an alternative, but doesn't provide much space.

Please share your experience of US70 (30+20+20), US50 (30+10+10) and US40 (20+10+10 combinations to help me decide. There are no store to test-mount these stuff at.

Kriega US70 product image:
Hello mate,

If you can give me an idea of the gear you intend to carry and possibly furnish us with a photo of your ride, I should be able to take an educated guess at which combo is best suited to your needs.

In the meantime, the combo70 is pretty capacious and can be more suited to bikes with generous pillion seats or racks, depending on a few factors. However, here's a pic of a (half-packed) 70-liter set-up on an R1 (which is by no means has the most expansive of tail sections!):

And here's the same combo stuffed to the gills and 56,000 miles into a round-the-world odyssey by GSX-R1000 with our mate Bruce 'Teapot One' Smart (more on his amazing journey here):

Another useful exercise is to gather all the gear you expect to haul, pack it down as you would when loading up, sling it in trash bags and compress down. Then compare the dimensions of the bundles to the various US packs. This will give you a good idea of where to start.

70 liters is a fair bit of gear for a solo ride, so you might well not need all that capacity. But maybe you do and it's just a question of how to distribute it. For example, having 30 liters on the sides (Overlander 30) then 30 (US-30) on the tail and 20 on your back (R20) could give you even more space in a different (and possibly more useful / efficient / balanced) configuration.

Feel free to post up any further detail you care to provide and we'll see if we can't get the ideal set-up sorted for you.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC

amanlikemike screwed with this post 04-15-2014 at 03:51 PM
Old 04-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #1358
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
Do you have any pix of the various bags in a collapsed state...I am looking for a tailbag that would be a permanent mount on my 990, maybe holding just a few items that I dont often need to get to, with the bag mostly collapsed, but one which would expand to, say, a cubic foot and a half (12x12x18)...very approximately. I would rather it had a small footprint when collapsed...like a foot square or less. I currently use a variety of pelican boxes, depending on what I think I need to carry, but always seem to get caught out with the wrong size at the wrong time...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
Hey Oz,

Sounds like a US-30 would be about right in terms of max. capacity, but you could always go smaller. However, if you wanted to carry just a few items most of the time, it might be a bit 'baggy' (no pun!) for that.

Before getting to your post, I just wrote this response to a similar enquiry, which I hope will prove useful. Essentially, any of our bags can be rolled / folded up pretty darn small and easily stashed anywhere convenient (on the 990 that could be in the storage compartment / glove box (with a smaller pack) or under the seat, or even in the void in the side fairings (if you've done the canisterectomy).

An ideal set up could perhaps be having something like a US-5 (for example) attached to your bike for the daily essentials, with a larger US pack also stashed inside that for a quick swap (to the same mounting points) when you need to pick stuff up along the way. This would obviously entail the additional purchase of a second bag, but it would be pretty cool.

Let me know if that makes sense / works or whether you'd like more detail / alternative options.

Cheers,

Michael

P.S. All of the above assumes you're not in the market for a backpack, which would also work very well.

BritKit LLC
Old 04-15-2014, 03:48 PM   #1359
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisticexchris View Post
Ok so here is the deal, I don't have quite the fancy bikes that are shown here that are bright and shiny.

I have had my same Kriega luggage since my bike was new 2 years ago. These bags have far surpassed my expectations. I originally got them because I wanted something different.

I beat the crap out of my bike. It is ridden very hard in the rocks, tumbled and flipped down hills and unfortunately crashed hard more than once. I have ridden in downpours, exteme cold and 100+ degree weather.

Here is how they look today:

This one got a small tear from tumbling through some sharp rocks about a year ago, a little silicone and it's good as new.

Here are the rest of them as of this morning.

Please note the smashed and gouged exhaust. That's what caused the other one to tear I just swapped the bag to other side.

These are the only bags on my bike that remain 100% waterproof. In an emergency, you could remove and fill the liners with water. These bags have been bombproof! And the Rack Loops work perfectly every time when really loading my beast down.

My other bags, while nice, end up getting everything wet in any kind of damp weather or washing my bike.

The other products such as my R15 backpack is the most comfortable pack I have ever owned. I'm going to get the R25 when I'm ready to purchase another.

And lets not forget the pull straps. WAY BETTER than the "tuggers" brand. You can actually get a grip on these in wet muddy weather. Kriega has some really great engineers who obviously ride. Sorry, no bags on this bike. Purpose built for hard core single track.

And hiking trails LOL

So lets get on about what I don't like about the bags. WHOOPS! Not the fault of the bags, But when going through fast whoops the pendulum effect of the bags makes the bike a handful. But that would be with any saddle bags not just Kriegas.

Another thing to note is I have had my suspension sprung and valved for my bike all bagged and fueled up as you see in the photos. When I strip off the bags and put on the stock 2 gallon tank, my Beta is transformed into a full blown, hard edged race machine.

Thank you Michael for selling me a great product!
Still looking good, mate!

I really appreciate your kind words about the gear... But I do have to pull you up on your intro...

"I don't have quite the fancy bikes that are shown here..."

Dude, that's a Beta 520RS! Probably one of the most exotic and fancy bikes 'round these parts!

I remember the day you got her. Mainly because it really made me want one too.

But I do agree - she looks even more bad-ass sporting a few hard-won battle scars!

That stealth Katoom's a real piece of work too.

Nice work, fella!

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC

amanlikemike screwed with this post 04-15-2014 at 04:01 PM
Old 04-15-2014, 03:56 PM   #1360
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDogg View Post
Gave my 20+10+10 it's first real shakedown on the weekend.
1000 kms, high speed asphalt, gravel, creeks, near everything except gnarly single track.
I'm pleased to report that they performed perfectly!
Didn't come loose, easy to pack, put on and take off. Even kept everything dry in the 30 minute downpour of 60mm of rain on the way home.
Wish my backpack was as waterproof as the rollies!
Good lad!

Always love to see our stuff being taken "round the houses" proper style!

As for the backpack... may I interest you in one of these, sir?

Failing that, you could always whack your gear in a waterproof stuff sack (available from most outdoors stores for not a lot of cash) before placing in the R25. As well as ensuring it all definitely stays dry during even the heaviest downpours, using one or more stuff sack can make packing easier and more efficient.

Thanks again for the pics - bike looks mega loaded up like that!

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC

amanlikemike screwed with this post 04-16-2014 at 08:16 AM
Old 04-15-2014, 03:59 PM   #1361
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RozzyCat View Post
Here are my US30 contents from top: Big Angnes pad (long), BA bag in compression dry bag (long), BA 2-person tent in orange light dry bag, Coolmax bag liner, extra foot print, headlamp, pillow. The "long" pad and bag do take up more space than "regular" length. Tent poles and stakes ride in the (not waterproof) tent bag atop my right pannier since it ok for them to get wet. I was mistaken earlier as my camp clothes/shoes, electric jacket and backup hard drive ride inside the US20. Hope this helps.

US30
IMG_0509 IMG_0507
Nicely done, sir.

Only thing I don't like about that pic is that it reminds me I wish I'd discovered Big Agnes gear before I got some of mine.

Thanks for sharing the pics, which I'm sure will prove very useful to a lot of folks. I'm aiming to do a few like that myself in the near future and will post 'em when I've got 'em!

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 04-15-2014, 04:13 PM   #1362
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemer View Post
I tried a number on configurations trying to mount the Adv Platform to the exhaust side of my 2012 KTM 690 ER tonight. I have the touratech pannier racks. Basically there are two clamps with levers and two without. I ended up with the non-lever ones at the bottom forward position and the top rear position. I have one lever clamp on the rear bottom facing down and the other lever clamp on the top forward position facing up. It is this last clamp that I am questioning. Is this even close to how others have configured their clamps? The issue I run into is the top bars of the touratech pannier racks are perfectly spaced to interfere with the top clamps if they are both facing down. Anyone have any pictures of this setup they might share? Thanks in advance.
Hey leemer,

Further to the email I sent you earlier, here are those shots of Dom's 690ER (with KTM rack, but TT ones usually make for an easier to fit due to the lack of welded tabs / lugs for hard cases that the OEM ones have) arrangement:

As you'll notice, there are a number of holes in the platforms in which the (push-fit or lever) clamps can be located, so that they clear pretty much any stock or modified parts on pretty much any bike. So, there's no need to stick to the locations shown in the instructions. Hopefully this video will shed further light on the options:

With a bit of luck this info will clear things up for you. But, if not, please do post up some pics of your arrangement so I can hopefully provide further / alternative pointers.

Oh yeah... please also check you don't have the platforms upside down. It's an easy mistake to make first time out and was actually the cause of the only other instance of serious head scratching from a 690ER & Overlander 60 owner.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC

amanlikemike screwed with this post 04-21-2014 at 11:35 AM
Old 04-19-2014, 04:01 PM   #1363
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,075
Mike, Ive been out of the country for a little while, but am due back home next week, and am completely STOKED to strap the rally bag on. I just can't decide which bike to put it on I figure its got to go on the G450X.. since I already took the G450X bag and put it on the Baja airhead.

ANyway, I can't wait to put it on.. the R5 bag was good for the temporary gas bottles, but was not as slick as this thing is.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #1364
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Mike, Ive been out of the country for a little while, but am due back home next week, and am completely STOKED to strap the rally bag on. I just can't decide which bike to put it on I figure its got to go on the G450X.. since I already took the G450X bag and put it on the Baja airhead.

ANyway, I can't wait to put it on.. the R5 bag was good for the temporary gas bottles, but was not as slick as this thing is.

Smashing!

Bring on the pics!

BritKit LLC
Old 04-28-2014, 06:31 PM   #1365
avc8130
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
Mike,

How about a handle on the bags so there is a way to carry them off the bike other than dealing with the shoulder strap every time?

A buddy had to deface the Kriega!

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote