ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 12:34 PM   #1
His Pistolship OP
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer: 395
Trans Florida Trail? Key West to Jacksonville/Panama City?

Hi All,

I've done the TET-South, but for this upcoming spring break I want to do all of Florida. I bet there are a bunch of dirt roads that will take me down to southern Florida. I could build a track on Google, which I have done before, but I thought I would see if there is already one built.

Thanks.
His Pistolship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:26 PM   #2
Sandspit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Eh?

Not possible on mostly dirt. I could see the top 1/2 being dirt through the National Forest with pavement mixed in but when you get to Central FL down to South FL it is mostly pavement. I think everyone who lives in FL and rides dual sports has dreamed about a long run of back roads that go the entire length of the state. You can link a few sections together but 75% of it will be pavement.
That being said it could be done with a good mix of back roads to stay off the interstate, US1, A1A etc.
My GUESS would be link dirt down through Ocala NF then head towards the West Coast and run inland down through the sugar cane fields around Okeechobee you will hit Big Cypress National Preserve and Everglades National park which has few options. When and if you go post what your route is, there is a lot of interest in this route but no real reports from what I read. Spring break is in March? This will mean rain and heat, the time to do this is early or late winter. You may get lucky with the odd cold front pushing all the way down in March but Spring/summer especially summer is brutal w/ AGATT and camping with biting insects.
Keep this thread alive and many of us would most likely join you if you want some company. The N-S (S-N) route has yet to be revealed from my limited research but the interest in a decent route is huge.
You will have a great time if you do not mind going straight on a two lane road for hundreds of miles

My new Florida fact I learned today is this state has the most documented ways to be killed by nature as compared to any other state: lightning, gators, spiders, sharks, snakes, blue haired women who can not see over the wheel (well the last one is not natural but ever present), etc.
Ride Safe / take shelter from lightning / Do not swim at night and watch out for the smallest of insects (brown recluse comes to mind) and all will be well.

Past Bikes: KD 80, KX 80, CR 125, KX 250, numerous YZ 250's, DR 350, 750 Sabre

Sandspit screwed with this post 01-29-2014 at 01:43 PM
Sandspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #3
His Pistolship OP
Kp calm, shoot alfas

The portion of the TET - South that goes from Jacksonville to Carabelle FL was one of the highlights of the trip. Maybe I'll take the time to craft a route on Google and run it by you folks.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:30 AM   #4
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
FL route

I'm the guy who built TET-S.

I too want a route the length of FL.

The original target for TET-S was Key West, but it didn't look good road wise.

I DID however, map a route that far south.

Started Ocean Pond lake at the overnight on TET-S, pretty much goes down the way suggested above.

I'll be down reriding TET-S late March, was thinking about making a run south... anybody game? Dates are not finalized - I'm on vacation again this year (read unemployed) - but for sure will be running the TET-S loop.
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:04 AM   #5
Sandspit
Adventurer

Hello Pistolship & Northern Traveler (thx for the TET-S route, have the files but have not run it yet)

for anyone thinking about N-S route to the Keys. Here is an idea, If you have a lot of time...

A tour of all Florida Coasts and the some of our best backroads

Link a good route to Flagler Bch on the east coast, you get to see the Atlantic, chill on the beach watch amazing sunrises with a good cup of coffee, then join this group

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=944411

and head across the state of Florida on a great route full of back roads and dirt roads which lands you over at the Gulf coast (bonus another body of water to check off). Hang out on the Gulf and see amazing sunsets with a cold drink. Then leave the Cedar Key area and proceed south and work Croom riding area which is a small patch of good dirt, proceed more inland, run the back roads/dirt whatever you can find down to Homestead FL staying on the left side of lake Okeechobee. Once through Homestaed, the ride to the Keys is nice laid back mostly two lane but with traffic. The views of the water color change makes the road grind worth it.

On this route, you will see three types of beaches, brown sand/Blue-Brown ocean of the Atlantic, white sand and brown water of the Gulf, and rocky /white sand & Caribbean blue/emerald green water of the keys. Plus some really good Florida back country most never see. I left the Panhandle out but there I have heard of decent trails and they have some blinding white sand w/ blue water up in that area, really nice beaches.

Also check ou this link, it would have decent options to break up the road miles. Ride some sand/dirt and most have campsites but many are only open weekend (plus $$ to enter)... L-Cross may be a good destination when in the Okeechobee area.
http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/t...orida_list.htm

I need to carve out the time to do this.

Sandspit screwed with this post 01-31-2014 at 07:41 AM
Old 01-31-2014, 07:56 AM   #6
His Pistolship OP
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
I'm the guy who built TET-S.

I too want a route the length of FL.

The original target for TET-S was Key West, but it didn't look good road wise.

I DID however, map a route that far south.

Started Ocean Pond lake at the overnight on TET-S, pretty much goes down the way suggested above.

I'll be down reriding TET-S late March, was thinking about making a run south... anybody game? Dates are not finalized - I'm on vacation again this year (read unemployed) - but for sure will be running the TET-S loop.
Hey Northern traveler. My spring break is March 9 through the 16th, and that is when I planned on doing this.

I am really good at crafting routes on Google/base camp. I've made my own trails that go pan US without using the tat. I priced together many other tracks already written, but I have genuinely crafted about a thousand miles of trail from Arkansas to Moab, as well as many day trips in Idaho.

I don't have class today so maybe I'll sit at the computer and pound it out. I think it would be fun to do some trailblazing down in fl this march - because it is warm down there.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:51 AM   #7
His Pistolship OP
Kp calm, shoot alfas

I spent a couple of hours on google maps last night. It looks like one could do dirt pretty much all the way down to about Miami. There will be some little pavement sections in there surely, but not as much as I thought.

My only reservation is that some of these dirt roads may be inaccessible. I went into google street view and saw that some of these roads that mirror canals have gates. But surely some of that is to be expected when doing a route for the first time.

I'm thinking this could be done. The route that seems most feasible is to stay east of Orlando but still west of Daytona and Miami. Starting point would be Ocean Pond, which is a connection with TET-S.

The best part about doing this Florida route is that it is...warm...down there.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:47 AM   #8
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
FL county maps

You might want to download Florida county road maps, and National Forest Motorized Vehicle Use maps.

Google Earth can and will lead you seriously astray.

Work from the county maps and keep in mind the picture of the direction you want to head towards. Look over the county maps first and note dirt/gravel road densities and corridors.

I print the county maps on 11x17" paper and highlight the dirt/gravel roads. Put red push pins in your GPS files on places to cross natural obstructions - like bridges over rivers. Keep in mind to head for those crossings.

Also realize the county maps are out of date and flat wrong in places.

That's what scouting is for....
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:25 AM   #9
Sandspit
Adventurer

the East side of orlando is a no go. What you are seeing is dirt road in gated ranch property and maybe a bit of gated lands around Holopaw which requires someone with a key and is basically so deep with sugar sands a ATV is the only way to traverse it. Big Ranching operations block the N-S route along the East Coast. Also the Mormons own a huge tract of gated lands they use for hunting only. Still recommend searching West side of Orlando for more public friendly roads. The Delorme Atlas and Gazatte has the ranches, wildlife refugees and private lands pretty well marked. If you browse one you will see the lack of access.

In fact that is what you wil discover in FL a dirt road that looks great on google maps then you get there and it is gated. Godd luck and keep seaching, I see pavement in your future, with short bits of dirt.

My suggestion is to start in Hillary FL, a very small town west of Jacksonville at the very top of Florida, head briefily into Georgia, then through Osceola NF continue to Ocala NF then over to West Coast around Cedar Key. Catch a sunset, South to Croom (which may not even be worth it due to it is a very small riding area) continue South/South East to L-Cross riding area and ride some dirt, continue South on any decent road you can find to Flamingo Key, ride out to the edge of the everglades.

AT this point you have to turn back around and ride out of Flamingo, head to Homestead, then the keys down to Key west.

It would be great if you could ferry your bike from Flamingo Key to Key West then ride out of Key West back North...not possible, you will be back tracking the keys route which is OK but too bad no ferry to get to or out of the keys that allows passenger vechicles.

In the North area look up Fruitland ferry, it will allow connection of some dirt and makes the trip interesting as you head towrard silver springs. Another warning is camp sites are booked months in advance on the weekends.

Sandspit screwed with this post 02-03-2014 at 07:32 AM
Old 02-03-2014, 07:55 AM   #10
His Pistolship OP
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Thanks sandpit. That is good info. Being Mormon myself, I was aware of the massive ranches but didn't know where they were.

The portion of TET-S that goes through northern Fl is quite enjoyable. Perhaps I'll look at a western route.

I've been down to Key West on a Super Tender and it was still fun even with all the slab involved.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:09 AM   #11
Kevincb
n00b

Oddometer: 4
South FL / Miami

Bump

Wanting to do a trip down toward the keyes or maybe north from Miami. Anyone want to ride this weekend?
Kevincb is offline   Reply With Quote