Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #181
Motor-110
...respect my Authoritah!

Oddometer: 597
Boy, this thread was just resurrected from the bowels of the ADV archives.

I don't know specifically about the new GSA, but my dealer told me that BMW had done away with the fuel strips as they were a dismal failure.

Maybe someone else who has subscribed to this thread can shed further light.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #182
MassiveLee
It's a small world

Oddometer: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor-110 View Post
I don't know specifically about the new GSA, but my dealer told me that BMW had done away with the fuel strips as they were a dismal failure.
As of 2010, GS bikes have a adopted a new and reliable technology called... floats. Yup. Back to floats.
MassiveLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #183
Motor-110

Isn't that just like the Germans; superior engineering history. Take something that works and make it better..... or not.

Now, only if the Nazi's tried this early on during WW twice, their machinery would be sitting on the side of the road, or planes falling from the sky and their fuel film sensors would be reading FULL the entire time.

We could have won in half the time .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveLee View Post
As of 2010, GS bikes have a adopted a new and reliable technology called... floats. Yup. Back to floats.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #184
vteec
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
yes you are all correct it has a float.
but still with 10litres of fuel it is still showing FUEL! when it should remove the warning and have three bars on the display since 10L is a third of the tank.

it could be a software/calibration issue?
vteec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #185
flightestman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Yeah, my 2012 left me on the side of road from bad fuel strip

I had same thing happen and it happened right in the beginning of my ownership, it read full when it ran out of gas. It was very worrisome at the time, i can say this 2 years later I have had no other incident with the bike.
flightestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #186
hipnotik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
The fuel light on my '12 comes on too early.
When I mentioned this to the dealer they said as long as I am getting any kind of reading then BMW will not cover this problem under warranty.
The only case they will cover it is if the reading stops completely.
My question is, at this point is it worth even trying to make them replace it if they didn't come up with a reasonable solution?
Bike is '12 GS air cooled with 6k miles.

'05 R1200RT
hipnotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:07 AM   #187
Papz_65
BXR

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipnotik View Post
The fuel light on my '12 comes on too early.
When I mentioned this to the dealer they said as long as I am getting any kind of reading then BMW will not cover this problem under warranty.
The only case they will cover it is if the reading stops completely.
My question is, at this point is it worth even trying to make them replace it if they didn't come up with a reasonable solution?
Bike is '12 GS air cooled with 6k miles.
Dear Hipnotik
Would you also accept if your engine runs ,but poorly? Or if your steering was good but only to the left? Or .... well you get it.
Of course you should continuously have it replaced until they fix it.
Papz
Papz_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #188
hipnotik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papz_65 View Post
Dear Hipnotik
Would you also accept if your engine runs ,but poorly? Or if your steering was good but only to the left? Or .... well you get it.
Of course you should continuously have it replaced until they fix it.
Papz
Hi Papz,
I completely agree with your point but looks like things are done differently over here on the other side of the pond.
Well, if BMW North America rep is telling me that dealer found nothing wrong then there is nothing they can do about it, what is there to do?
Also, since this looks like an on going design problem with these bikes that never got solved I can't see the point in making them replace something that will break again after it got replaced.
I guess that BMW knows that this is a "minor" issue for most owner and most of them will choose to let it "slip by" so they play that card of pretending that business as usual.

'05 R1200RT
hipnotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:37 AM   #189
jwoods986
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Hey everyone, first post (been lurking for a while)! I'm a returning rider and am considering an R1200GS. I found a decent deal locally, but this line from the ad got me wondering - "The only problem is that the fuel Gauge works intermittently."

This prompted me to do a search and I found this thread. Obviously, some troubleshooting would need to be done first, but let's assume it does need the fuel strip replaced, how much are we talking about for that? Also, do the F800s have this issue also, or is it just R1200s? Thanks!
jwoods986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:11 AM   #190
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
What year? The errant strips ended by 2010 I think.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:53 AM   #191
jwoods986
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
It's an '09, so it would have the strip. It's being sold by the Eagle Rider rental here in the D.C. area, which has me torn also. On the one hand, it was a rental, which means it may have been abused. On the other, being a rental, I would expect the maintenance to have been kept up on (for legal reasons). My friend who I mentioned this bike to felt that if it was an easy fix, it would be done. Here's the listing:
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...405660592.html
jwoods986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #192
Lurch II
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
I have a 2007 GSA and have had 2 fuel strip replacements and it still doesn't seem all that trustworthy. But it's not a deal breaker because I just reset my tripmeter and watch that. Much more accurate than the guage. If the rest of the bike is in good condition then I'd give it a go. The color is right!

Shawn
2007 R1200GSA - Lurch II (his)
2007 R1200GS - Wickd (hers)
"Dying is a very dull, dreary affair. And my advice to you is to have nothing whatever to do with it." - W. Somerset Maugham
Lurch II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:14 AM   #193
Motor-110

There is no fix, or retro-fit, other than to replace the offending strip. It would be nice if we could install the later-version fuel float (2010) but alas, BMW has engineered it so that would not happen.

They are just waiting for all of the offending fuel strips to go away, just like surging, final drive failures, etc.

I'm on probably my fifth or sixth strip on my 2007, and even though I went out of extended warranty two years ago, California law requires any warranty fix to last two years. Anything less, and the dealer has to replace it. My bike is heading back to the shop to be "fixed" again, and another two years added to it.

Also, it has been my experience that when it fails, it will read FULL or EMPTY and isn't intermittent. YMMV...... seriously.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoods986 View Post
It's an '09, so it would have the strip. It's being sold by the Eagle Rider rental here in the D.C. area, which has me torn also. On the one hand, it was a rental, which means it may have been abused. On the other, being a rental, I would expect the maintenance to have been kept up on (for legal reasons). My friend who I mentioned this bike to felt that if it was an easy fix, it would be done. Here's the listing:
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...405660592.html

Motor-110 screwed with this post 04-08-2014 at 11:23 AM Reason: grammatical editing; 101
Motor-110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #194
schwie
Wanna B Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
I too am new and been observing and investigating the purchase of a used 1200 GS adventure bike. Hence I followed up on an ad for a 2010 GSA noting from the owner the bike has the infamous fuel strip as well. Therefore at least a partial production run in year 2010 have the fuel strip so be aware!
schwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:21 AM   #195
Motor-110

DOH! Those wily German's will do anything to deplete the bin of suspect and dubious components at the plant.

"Dey don't kneed eeny fool gage.....jess ride unteel eemptee."

And god help the rider who fails to reset their trip odometer from the last fuel stop.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwie View Post
I too am new and been observing and investigating the purchase of a used 1200 GS adventure bike. Hence I followed up on an ad for a 2010 GSA noting from the owner the bike has the infamous fuel strip as well. Therefore at least a partial production run in year 2010 have the fuel strip so be aware!

Motor-110 screwed with this post 04-08-2014 at 11:25 AM Reason: found better adjective...
Motor-110 is offline   Reply With Quote