Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #301
wachs OP
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post
Are the Hemisphere accessory bags waterproof ?
I'm thinking about keeping tools dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkerlou View Post
Good question is usually have more money tied up in my tools than the rest of the stuff in my bag.

Thanks for the questions. Those tool bags are my own personal units made for my specific tools. I'll still be putting my gear into 1 gallon zip lock bags to keep tools and my inner tube totally dry. We considered building these but everyone seems to carry different gear and it's improbable to design a tool wrap that pleases everyone. The main thing is having access to tools and carrying them down low is that you don't have to unpack everything to fix a flat and it carries WAY better than anything I've used in the past.

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #302
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,519
I was going to mention using gallon ziplock bags as well.

on my 'other day bag' I still use your trick with the 2 oil containers and it still works perfectly.
RAZR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #303
wachs OP
just passin' through

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post

on my 'other day bag' I still use your trick with the 2 oil containers and it still works perfectly.

HA! Yes, that's an old Dick Burleson idea I saw in a magazine 20 or more years ago and I still use the same set up.

That kit will fit right into those lower compartments too - coincidence? I think not!

Old 04-03-2014, 07:27 PM   #304
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,568
wachs i'm ready to order but i just want the base bag w/o the waterproof roll, any pricing or way to order like that?
2 SPOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:59 PM   #305
wachs OP
just passin' through

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post
wachs i'm ready to order but i just want the base bag w/o the waterproof roll, any pricing or way to order like that?

Thanks for the question, give me another week or two to answer because it's in the mix as an option for riders that want to kit out the 'Holster' with their own devices. It's an extremely flexible system and as you can obviously see, creates a whole new spectrum of possibilities!

Old 04-04-2014, 12:46 AM   #306
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs View Post
Thanks for the questions. Those tool bags are my own personal units made for my specific tools. I'll still be putting my gear into 1 gallon zip lock bags to keep tools and my inner tube totally dry. We considered building these but everyone seems to carry different gear and it's improbable to design a tool wrap that pleases everyone. The main thing is having access to tools and carrying them down low is that you don't have to unpack everything to fix a flat and it carries WAY better than anything I've used in the past.
Ok, that's fair enough.
I see there's a couple of small drybag options on the market if ziplocks aren't desirable. No idea on quality/durability.

Of course, if the tools are in a tool roll, plus a dry bag, its getting bulky.
bill1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:40 AM   #307
atomizer
Be here now

Oddometer: 256
Can you share the 2 oil containers trick? Sounds good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post

atomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #308
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,621
Two quart oil container cut with the opening portion sliced off. Then you nest the two halves together.

A pic of some water bottles cut using the same method.

nested together:

Provides some water protection. Great from rain and quick dunkings but long dunks like this if the tools are in the bottom of the bag water will make it past the container junction.

The oil containers also protect the tools from punching through tool rolls etc.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:29 AM   #309
wachs OP
just passin' through

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomizer View Post
Can you share the 2 oil containers trick? Sounds good...

Hey thanks for your version TeamFTB - Here's another using Pennzoil bottles:

Not a very good job of slicing the tops off but they'll eventually wear out and I just make a new set. These need to be replaced as they are starting to leak but you get the idea.

The other cool feature is you now have a measuring vessel for transferring fuel and don't need to siphon.

My tire irons and pump are on the other side with a spare front tube in a zip lock bag that is generously dusted with baby powder for those trail side flats.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #310
wachs OP
just passin' through

Here's another trick:

Tire irons will jiggle themselves through just about anything so I made this sleeve from a bicycle inner tube. It keeps them tight together and protects whatever bag you are storing them in.

I really like the Motion Pro products and use many of their moto-specific tools and parts. This set up is for my XRR but I also have the set for my KTM machines. With the inner tube you also have some spare rubber to fashion into other temporary fix devices. I use these in the shop for spooning off and on new tires and have found them to be the perfect tool for the job on the trail too - plus, they're way lighter than steel.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:30 AM   #311
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

What I enjoy about Wachs is he is a guy out there banging about in the bush like us, doing what he loves, and comes up with great ideas that work. Not stuff that sounds/looks good but under the duress of dirtbiking fails.

Good shit Dave!!

Can see Dave's Mountain bike inner tube tool carrier idea emptied at the 3 O'clock tire position. Necessity, the mother of invention.

team ftb screwed with this post 04-04-2014 at 11:38 AM
Old 04-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #312
wachs OP
just passin' through

Hey thanks TeamFTB! - Unfortunately we've had a lot of practice in the dirt with wheels eh? I could fill a whole thread with shots of the wheel off, on our knees fixing punctures !

There's another topic of lost tools but not anymore -

Somewhere in Nevada with Stihrigg. I think this was the 4th flat of the day on his 950. At least it was a nice day.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #313
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Great to see you boys out having fun and thrashing on the gear. Yes tire changes on long trips are a pain, not to mention packing of tubes takes up too much room in my luggage. I've used Nuetech Tubliss on my day ride bike for years but when I tried to mount them for long trips I always got leaks through the bead in less than a week that I could not get to seal. They'd seal ggreat for a short time then give me issues later down the road. Tried everything that Tubliss mentions, talked with Jeff many times and he could not figure it out. When they work they work awesome. Just could not get them to be reliable enough for long trips. A shame as packing some Nuetech Tubliss tubes were great as they're tiny compared to traditional tubes.

Anyway a question on your tool pouch pocket in the Hemisphere. When you pack the tire tools can the spoons fit completely inside the pocket? If they poke outside of the pocket, roughly how much do they poke out? In other words do you know the dimensions of those pockets?

Old 04-10-2014, 11:49 PM   #314
MaxThePanda
Psycho Panda

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Great to see you boys out having fun and thrashing on the gear. Yes tire changes on long trips are a pain, not to mention packing of tubes takes up too much room in my luggage. I've used Nuetech Tubliss on my day ride bike for years but when I tried to mount them for long trips I always got leaks through the bead in less than a week that I could not get to seal. They'd seal ggreat for a short time then give me issues later down the road. Tried everything that Tubliss mentions, talked with Jeff many times and he could not figure it out. When they work they work awesome. Just could not get them to be reliable enough for long trips. A shame as packing some Nuetech Tubliss tubes were great as they're tiny compared to traditional tubes.

Anyway a question on your tool pouch pocket in the Hemisphere. When you pack the tire tools can the spoons fit completely inside the pocket? If they poke outside of the pocket, roughly how much do they poke out? In other words do you know the dimensions of those pockets?

Interesting.... Was that running Slime in the tyres? And what size rim? I've been delighted with Tubliss on my KDX and keen to try it on my big bike...
MaxThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:42 PM   #315
wachs OP
just passin' through

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post

Yes the tools fit entirely inside the exterior pouch. It's gusseted so a bit hard to calculate precise volume but the general dim's are 16" long X 7" wide and the gusset opens up to about 4" or so.

This is my experimental pouch that is in the bag above (minus tire pump)

wachs screwed with this post 04-11-2014 at 12:54 PM