Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2014, 03:31 PM   #91
NERVE
Thrumming along

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoss View Post
Oh well. Thanks to ADV I knew this was a potential problem spot and handled it so on the road the possible explosion and horrible death never worried me.
Explosions and horrible deaths are grossly over-stated. Just some minor burning is more what the motherland predicts will happen to most owners.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:00 PM   #92
V@lentino
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack View Post
I don't believe them. Look at the flange around the right angle gas hose plug in. Does it have a metal flange around it? And if not, any redial cracks yet?
I also thought it was odd. I did the quick disconnect change myself before riding to South America, I did notice some hairline fractures but did not install the clamps around the flanges though.

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #93
V@lentino
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by V@lentino View Post
I also thought it was odd. I did the quick disconnect change myself before riding to South America, I did notice some hairline fractures but did not install the clamps around the flanges though.
Funny how that goes, I contacted Transport Canada, the person I spoke with said that TC did not have specific build date information re. year/bike type, he asked for my VIN and contacted BMW Canada who confirmed that indeed their was a recall on the bike and that I had been originally given incorrect information.

Why am I not surprised?

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #94
GP1200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by V@lentino View Post
Funny how that goes, I contacted Transport Canada, the person I spoke with said that TC did not have specific build date information re. year/bike type, he asked for my VIN and contacted BMW Canada who confirmed that indeed their was a recall on the bike and that I had been originally given incorrect information.

Why am I not surprised?
You can't even get it fixed as BMW still has the repair parts on back order. They are at least consistent in their incompetence.
GP1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:00 PM   #95
ksut
n00b

Oddometer: 6
recall done

Was notified on the 1st April to get the bike in for this...coincidence had me at the dealer for the 30k on the 8th. So they added the clamp rings and I guess its all good. Was told the possible damage occurs as a result of incorrect fuel cell removal. There are more than one line disconnects and if you don't get them both off you could stress the one still connected as you remove the tank. Ergo the possible cracks. Who knows. Mine now has the reinforcement. Should be good now.
Further... Today called back in by the BMW MC service manager...get the bike back in for a second check... so did that and after a 3 minute affirmation was sent away with an approved no problems. Seems there are some detail variations on the models affected. So the service manager calling back to be sure that all is not only well with my ride but that the jobs done right is very ok in my book.

ksut screwed with this post 04-11-2014 at 08:17 PM
ksut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:23 PM   #96
ksut
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Eh? yes on the sand over

I too am impressed with the f8 gsa and also like the semi-camo sandover paint.
When I am ready for a down size this may be the ride for me,
Old 04-12-2014, 03:13 PM   #97
elnonio
shedding n00bness

Oddometer: 196
Thumb

Morton's in VA had their open day today. Not having a recall notice, I just asked the service dept how they intend to get these fixed. I'm particularly concerned because I have orders to Korea, and intend to take the bike with me.

The answer was simple. Scheduled a recall service appointment for 8 May. So, sounds like the replacement parts are making their way to the dealers. YMMV!
Old 04-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #98
5 Hour Butt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Recall Notice

I got the fuel pump recall notice last week and called my dealer and he told me he would call me when they got the parts in stock so I can ride in and get it done. One nice thing for me is I have a 2005 R1200GS and it is one of the very first ones brought into the U.S. and those were very carefully hand assembled. The benefit of that is my final drive has had no problems of any kind and as I check for any fuel leaks there are none.

I've ridden it 50,000 miles and it's phenomenally awesome! Super reliable and I do my own oil & filter changes every 10,000 miles and I use Mobil 1 Super Synthetic 20W-50 oil since it is extremely high quality and the engine is like brand new! One other nice thing is I always get 52 miles per gallon for my mileage in warm weather. And when it's cold I get 48 mpg and that is because colder air is more dense and it takes more fuel to have the proper fuel to air ratio.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:18 PM   #99
TheRoss
IBA, BMWMOA

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Hour Butt View Post
One nice thing for me is I have a 2005 R1200GS and it is one of the very first ones brought into the U.S. and those were very carefully hand assembled.
TheRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #100
revitup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Got my notice last week for an 2011 GSA. Have not called the dealer (Buds/Oakville) as yet.

Was sorta thinking..."if it aint broke don't fix it", but this is gas related so I guess I should this time.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:52 AM   #101
crazyhawk99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post
In the BMW letter to NHTSA dealers were to be notified in Dec and owners from Feb to APRIL...so by April we all supposed to receive letters...

Kicker is that BMW "processed the first claim" for this type failure in frickin 2006!

Plus BMW says in the letter that it doesn't consider this problem a safety issue...and that they have no reports of fires..

Said it before..love to ride my GSA but BMW sucks...only care about you until you leave the store with your new bike...would never again buy a BMW product..

Funny, visited the Porsche and Mercedes Benz museums and then the BMW museum this last Spring...MB was by far the best; while BMW was less that friendly and reeked of corporate self-importance...Porsche was Porsche, but their race cars were beautiful!

Somebody please torch your BMW and send in pictures..would help if a person was still under the bike..
I own a 06 SLK 350 (actually the wife's car) and I am less than impressed with their customer service. I have had routine services done on it at 3 different MB dealers and all of them gave me the impression that they could care less about my business. All of these dealers were here in Germany, so that could just be the culture. I would not buy another Mercedes.

As for my BMW R12GS, I have had a GREAT experience at the local German dealer that I bought it from. Sometimes they even gave me an loaner bike overnight to ride while mine was being serviced. Just a FWIW comment.
2009 R1200GS
2009 Buell 1125CR
2002 HD Heritage Springer
2004 ZX-10R
2003 SV650
1988 Sporty 883 (cafe project)

Next Bike:
Hmmmm....
crazyhawk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:52 AM   #102
hyena
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoss View Post
+1

My 2005 had a boat load of problems. I must have gotten the one that was not carefully assembled by hand.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #103
Wallowa OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,084
Just Talked To BMW Dealer/Service Manager

The Service Manager characterized the latest recall bulletin and protocols as 'Mumbo-Jumbo"...trouble is in the stocking of the parts required to "fix" a specific bike...you will not know what is needed until the bike is inspected.. the problem beyond the goofy [my words] inspection procedure is knowing what parts to order now from BMW to have in stock for your customers.

For example my bike will require 5 parts if the fuel pump [s] is replaced under the recall and the dealer must order the correct parts for who knows how many bikes and for who knows what remedial repairs.

Yes, BMW should eat the parts and labor but what about the dealer?

My dealer is placing an order for the required parts based on his best guess at the end of this week; when they will arrive from BMW is anybody's guess.
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:38 PM   #104
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post
The Service Manager characterized the latest recall bulletin and protocols as 'Mumbo-Jumbo"...trouble is in the stocking of the parts required to "fix" a specific bike...you will not know what is needed until the bike is inspected.. the problem beyond the goofy [my words] inspection procedure is knowing what parts to order now from BMW to have in stock for your customers.

For example my bike will require 5 parts if the fuel pump [s] is replaced under the recall and the dealer must order the correct parts for who knows how many bikes and for who knows what remedial repairs.

Yes, BMW should eat the parts and labor but what about the dealer?

My dealer is placing an order for the required parts based on his best guess at the end of this week; when they will arrive from BMW is anybody's guess.
BMW has a pretty good idea of how many and what type of bikes are close to a particular dealer from sales and registration information.

How do you think manufacturers send recall information to people that buy used vehicles ?

Got my recall letter a couple of weeks ago....

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:47 PM   #105
Wallowa OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,084
Good Point...But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogswell View Post
BMW has a pretty good idea of how many and what type of bikes are close to a particular dealer from sales and registration information.

How do you think manufacturers send recall information to people that buy used vehicles ?

Got my recall letter a couple of weeks ago....

Mike

Hey Mike,

What you say makes sense but BMW does not send parts for a recall to a dealer based on registration info; rather the dealer must order based on the anticipated number and model they expect to see come through their door...which is always a crap shoot...and the $64 question what exactly will then be need or not need to fulfill the recall...a collar? A pump? or neither? As a dealer you could get caught short of parts or have a ton of $$$ in parts that never get used.

Give my best to Mr. D. Head when you guys ride together again..love it!

Wallowa screwed with this post 04-15-2014 at 06:54 PM
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote