User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #1
willcasp OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Navigator V on a 2006 Adventure

I have a 2006 Adventure. My Navigator III and cradle have too many issues that I am tired of dealing with. Small memory, dealing with garmin sync software and multiple garmin accounts with lifetime subscriptions, cleaning connectors..

Has anyone installed the Navigator V with cradle on an older, non water cooled Adventure or GS?
Will the installation package use the same power connector that the Nav III plugs in to?
Is the sound plug in the Nav 5 cradle the same size as the nav 3 cradle? (I run a cable from the navigation cradle to my Autocom)

What I am wondering is the installation of the Nav V as simple as removing all the Nav 3 stuff, and just plugging in the Nav 5 and installing the Nav 5 cradle?
IBA #47287
AMA Lifer, BRC, NMA
2008 KTM 530 EXC-R
2008 KTM 200 XC-W
2006 BMW 1200GS Adventure
willcasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:03 AM   #2
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,940
Not sure about the old connectors but the only audio you will get from the wired output is the turn-by-turn directions. Music/media or phone stuff only goes out via bluetooth.

OTOH, the V is a great unit, IMO. If you ever upgrade to a newer BMW, it will interact with the handlebar wheel, and I love that on my GSW.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
willcasp OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for that info. I did see it on the other rather lengthy and detailed threads that you are on!

I am a bit bummed about the lack of wired in options. I understand now that there is no line out jack on the cradle. This will be a forcing function to finally deal with Bluetooth. Convenience of wireless, with a lot of residual pain.

For long distance riding, rallies, direct wire solutions work well. With any bluetooth option I have looked at, I have to deal with keeping devices charged. Many of them don't have an easy way to swap out batteries or charge on the bike. Great for up to 8 hours, not great for the next 8 hours!
For SENA, it is not too bad. I can have one module charging on the bike while I am using the other. The SENA is workable. I have yet to find a bluetooth solution that works as well as a wired in Autocom though.
IBA #47287
AMA Lifer, BRC, NMA
2008 KTM 530 EXC-R
2008 KTM 200 XC-W
Old 02-26-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by willcasp View Post
Thanks for that info. I did see it on the other rather lengthy and detailed threads that you are on!

I am a bit bummed about the lack of wired in options. I understand now that there is no line out jack on the cradle. This will be a forcing function to finally deal with Bluetooth. Convenience of wireless, with a lot of residual pain.

For long distance riding, rallies, direct wire solutions work well. With any bluetooth option I have looked at, I have to deal with keeping devices charged. Many of them don't have an easy way to swap out batteries or charge on the bike. Great for up to 8 hours, not great for the next 8 hours!
For SENA, it is not too bad. I can have one module charging on the bike while I am using the other. The SENA is workable. I have yet to find a bluetooth solution that works as well as a wired in Autocom though.
I'm in the same boat as you on BT. Luckily for me, all the audio out of the Nav V that I care about is the turning directions, and those come out the wire just fine.

Am running a frankenstein combo of a MixIt2 and Chatterbox GMRS-X1 (all with wires) to get audio to my helmet, so I just run the output from the V to one of the MixIt2 inputs and I am good. I don't care to make phone calls while I ride, and I have an iPod wired into the same system for music.

However, if I change my mind, since I am running power to the tankbag anyway for the MixIt2 and the iPod, I could also split some off and charge a small BT headset like the Jabra Clipper (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and run its audio out jack to a MixIt2 input as well. This would allow me to keep my frankenstein setup unchanged

OTOH, Sena is going to come out with a new unit called the 20S that sounds like the bee's knees, so I may spring for one. There is some attraction in pairing to and being able to speak with other riders with one of those.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
willcasp OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I picked up the Navigator V kit with the "docking station" at the local BMW dealer today. The power plug looks like it will fit the current GPS power plug that I use now. There is no where to put my hard wired audio connector, so bluetooth it is!
The docking station needs to mount to some sort of clamp on the windscreen assembly. It looks like the one that my Nav III uses will do nicely. I looked at a Nav IV clamp kit, and it seems to be the same as the Nav III.
I will give it a go this weekend, and see how it ends up!
IBA #47287
AMA Lifer, BRC, NMA
2008 KTM 530 EXC-R
2008 KTM 200 XC-W
Old 02-26-2014, 10:47 PM   #6
psychohawk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Please update and post pics.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:27 AM   #7
Old Nuke
Flatlander

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
I picked up the Navigator V kit with the "docking station" at the local BMW dealer today. The power plug looks like it will fit the current GPS power plug that I use now. There is no where to put my hard wired audio connector, so bluetooth it is!
The docking station needs to mount to some sort of clamp on the windscreen assembly. It looks like the one that my Nav III uses will do nicely. I looked at a Nav IV clamp kit, and it seems to be the same as the Nav III.
I bought the BMW clamp kit for the windshield support bar on my 2011 Adv, mounted the Nav V cradle to it, plugged the power cable into the OEM GPS power plug on the bike and routed the non-used audio cable along with the power cable. I taped over the end of the audio cable and secured it out of sight.
I went all out Bluetooth vs Autocom and it works just fine for my needs.
If and when I change to a water cooled GS, I'll mount the Nav V to whatever that bike requires and transfer the 4 button cradle and wiring and adapt it to my G650GS Sertao.
Old Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:45 PM   #8
psychohawk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Update? Pics?
Old 03-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #9
willcasp OP
Gnarly Adventurer

have not gotten around to the install. Will probably get to it this weekend... with pics!
IBA #47287
AMA Lifer, BRC, NMA
2008 KTM 530 EXC-R
2008 KTM 200 XC-W
Old 04-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #10
WayOutThere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Update? Where are the pics?

Wish that someone would make a mount for the Nav V for our older air-cooled GSAs that's built like the mounting structure on the new GS and GSA water-cooled bikes. Now that's a neat solution because it's got sufficient strength for these newer and heavier GPS units while also bringing the units closer to the rider than prior solutions.
WayOutThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #11
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayOutThere View Post
Update? Where are the pics?

Wish that someone would make a mount for the Nav V for our older air-cooled GSAs that's built like the mounting structure on the new GS and GSA water-cooled bikes. Now that's a neat solution because it's got sufficient strength for these newer and heavier GPS units while also bringing the units closer to the rider than prior solutions.
The bolt pattern on the Nav V for the square clamp on the mounting pipe is the same dimension as the plate for regular RAM mounts, so you can adapt the Nav V cradle to pretty much any RAM mount combo you like.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:56 PM   #12
Twosaun
ItsUranus

Oddometer: 139
NAV V GPS Prep Retro Fit Kit for 2013+ R1200GSWC

Just in case anyone in this thread wanted one ...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938245
Twosaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #13
elchino
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Great info here!

Do you get wired sound out of the Nav 5? I am going to purchase one for my 2009 RT but the dealer mentioned the only audio option is bluetooth.

I had read that the zumo cradle that the nag 5 fits into has a wired connection - so does the BMW cradle have one?

If sound comes via wire is it just turn by turn?

How is the MP3 feature of the GPS?
elchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:41 AM   #14
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchino View Post
Great info here!

Do you get wired sound out of the Nav 5? I am going to purchase one for my 2009 RT but the dealer mentioned the only audio option is bluetooth.

I had read that the zumo cradle that the nag 5 fits into has a wired connection - so does the BMW cradle have one?

If sound comes via wire is it just turn by turn?

How is the MP3 feature of the GPS?
The wiring harness on the BMW Nav V mount has two connectors. The smaller one can deliver audio out if you rig up a socket or whatever to it, but ONLY FOR TURN BY TURN DIRECTIONS. No MP3 or phone audio is delivered via that connector; only the turning directions. For the rest, you must use BT.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:03 AM   #15
Ashok BMW R1200 GS
DIVER

Oddometer: 4
Nav V on the new GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Nuke View Post
I bought the BMW clamp kit for the windshield support bar on my 2011 Adv, mounted the Nav V cradle to it, plugged the power cable into the OEM GPS power plug on the bike and routed the non-used audio cable along with the power cable. I taped over the end of the audio cable and secured it out of sight.
I went all out Bluetooth vs Autocom and it works just fine for my needs.
If and when I change to a water cooled GS, I'll mount the Nav V to whatever that bike requires and transfer the 4 button cradle and wiring and adapt it to my G650GS Sertao.
I have a 2014 GS LC with the Full package version including DYNAMIC Pro package and the touring package. i have a problem with the GPS (NAV V). it does not show the My Motorcycle menu nor does it get any feed from the bike. the hand control is working though... the second wire from the cradle is not connected anywhere. can anyone help me resolve this plse....
Ashok BMW R1200 GS is online now   Reply With Quote