Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #361
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfreak View Post
I just got the recall notice. I have an 06 and I have done the repair on this myself because of failure. Do you guys have any idea how the dealers are going to handle the Beemer Boneyard parts? Do you think they will still replace if the cracks are present?

Thanks,
Pfreak
If you are looking to get a replacement I'd remove the clamp just before I took it in....
Old 04-09-2014, 11:38 AM   #362
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Addict View Post
If you are looking to get a replacement I'd remove the clamp just before I took it in....
Oh man. You've got that right. If my experience with dealers is any indication they'll probably document that this "repair" was done by the owner, and then every single thing that ever goes wrong with the bike, no matter how unrelated, will somehow mysteriously be "traced" back to it.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:56 PM   #363
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,172
I would wait until you meet the replacement criteria to go in; that way you get a new part. Recalls are basically perpetual.

Improper servicing... what a load of bull. I can't believe they would actually say that to NHTSA.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:58 PM   #364
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,478
Does anyone know whether all flanges will be replaced or only those showing cracks? I had mine replaced under warranty with the unimproved OEM part and assume that it will develop cracks at some point. I'm hoping to get a letter to be able to get it replaced under warranty before it fails.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #365
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Does anyone know whether all flanges will be replaced or only those showing cracks? I had mine replaced under warranty with the unimproved OEM part and assume that it will develop cracks at some point. I'm hoping to get a letter to be able to get it replaced under warranty before it fails.
No one really know's for sure, but I would suspect that if you have no cracks they will add the colar to the one you have.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #366
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,234
Here Are Some Details In the Recall Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
In my recall letter: [nothing about pumps that are not leaking or do not have cracks...at this time..]
=====================
No leaks, cracks in flange small, flange diameter "has not exceeded a certain measurement"..= reinforcing ring.
=====================
If leaks are present, if cracks in the flange extend to bottom of flange or if the flange diameter has exceeded a certain measurement = new fuel pump
======================

The flange is an integral part of the pump body/housing [I believe], you don't "replace a flange". Weazy if you had your pump replaced by BMW [OEM] then it probably will not develop these cracks...but who the hell knows.

The 'critical flange diameter measurement' is never mentioned; what size increase warrants a new pump? 2mm? 10mm?...BMW secret...but I assume they using this to determine if cracks have opened up the flange diameter enough to fail at some point, even if the cracks have not extended to the bottom of the flange. I don't think BMW truly has a clue and they are guessing on what diameter is "too large"...

Sorry, but this is a piss poor way to run a company...obfuscate rather than clarify and not set a date when you can get this fixed...old shell game...hey if you bike is thrashed, torch it! [Just teasing arson is a felony and BMW would claim you were illegally smoking while on the bike]
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:33 PM   #367
TXjames
High Sider

Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post
Weazy if you had your pump replaced by BMW [OEM] then it probably will not develop these cracks...but who the hell knows.
Thanks for all the recall info Wallowa but the above statement simply isn't true. If there is no metal reinforcing ring then it probably will develop cracks Weazy. Get it fixed or wish you had.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #368
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,478
Exactly, I need to get BMW to replace it or I need to do the boneyard fix myself. I'll shoot Lonestar BMW an email with my VIN to see what they have to say.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:14 PM   #369
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Not True?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXjames View Post
Thanks for all the recall info Wallowa but the above statement simply isn't true. If there is no metal reinforcing ring then it probably will develop cracks Weazy. Get it fixed or wish you had.
If he got a new OEM pump from BMW it would in their words be "a current production design which includes the reinforcing ring"...so....it should be good to go..
Old 04-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #370
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
If he got a new OEM pump from BMW it would in their words be "a current production design which includes the reinforcing ring"...so....it should be good to go..
Easy to check!

No ring:

Ring:
Old 04-10-2014, 09:03 PM   #371
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Laugh Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Easy to check!

No ring:

Ring:

Great photos Jim...what I don't know is will cracks develop even if the ring is on the flange?.. that information is way above my pay grade

I guess time will tell....
Old 04-10-2014, 09:16 PM   #372
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Great photos Jim...what I don't know is will cracks develop even if the ring is on the flange?.. that information is way above my pay grade

Maybe, maybe not, but even if they do, the flange should not leak!
Old 04-12-2014, 04:51 PM   #373
koutadog
Pilbara rider

Oddometer: 29
Oz update

No recalls in Australia.
I did contact my local dealer, sent them the North America recall link and photos of my leaking pump from 2012. Received email back that they will replace the pump and cover costs.
Much cheaper to replace only those that complain, not all bikes fitted with these pumps.

Good result for me.
koutadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:02 AM   #374
billdonna
Ex Coelis

Oddometer: 972
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Maybe, maybe not, but even if they do, the flange should not leak!
Ever split wood? You know, when you put wood on end and drive a wedge thru it with a sledge hammer. This is in essence what BMW is doing driving a tapered thread into the plastic flange.

Now imagine there is a band of steel around the wood like on a wine barrel. Try splitting it now. Ain't gonna happen!

I think the BMW fix will work out just fine, unless the flange is already cracked and the BMW tech misses it...Don't worry.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:00 PM   #375
HighWay319
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Add me to the list.....Early model 2005 r1200gs. Hopefully the dealer can find the parts, its riding season!!!

HighWay319 is offline   Reply With Quote