Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #1
jdgmntDay OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Hepco Crash Bar Mis-alignment and Spacing Mismatch

Hey guys,

So I've had my '00 R1150GS now for almost two years, and I *just yesterday* realized my crash bars weren't symmetrical. I've been hearing a weird vibration noise on and off for awhile now, and I always assumed it was two fairing pieces rattling or something with my windshield. The other day it started to bother me, and I noticed if I squeezed the tank with my knees it stopped. When I got off the bike and was inspecting around the tank, I saw the front left seam of the tank was rubbing against my Hepco crash bars. I looked on the other side and I had almost an inch of clearance! Check it out:

I first thought maybe the left side of my tank got bent inward when I tripped while carrying it up the stairs (put a tiny dent in the side, not pictured). But there's no way I could have bent it that much. Then I noticed for the first time, my bars aren't symmetrical at all! I read somewhere that the bars are different between a GS and a GSA, maybe I have one of each? The right side hugs way closer to the head than the left, and the bolt in the center is in no way near the centerline.

I haven't found my good images of what these bars are supposed to look like for this year, I was hoping someone here could recognize these as weird or mismatched. Any ideas?

Ben
jdgmntDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #2
Dribblers Dad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Looks like the bikes been down a few times on the right side and pushed the bars over. When I fitted mine new the clearance on each side was the same and the joint at the front was in the middle of the plastic cover. Now after a few offs and gravel spills they look like yours, just not as bad

The flat on the left side is normal and is probably part of the manufacturing process.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:46 PM   #3
jdgmntDay OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
I hadn't even thought of that - yes it has been down a few times. Never skidding and sliding down the road, just dropped it a couple times when I first got it. Those bars look so rigid it never occurred to me they could bend out of position. I've taken them off for the time being, I'll put them back on and whack them back into shape with a rubber mallet. Thanks for the tip!
jdgmntDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:59 PM   #4
czechyour6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
are the front mounts against the bike frame UNDER the factory frame poles? Are the 12mm spacers under the center mounts ? The 17mm spacer goes on the Right rear and the 20mm spacer is on the Left rear. Yours does still look pushed over, I did a side slide down the Pony Express road @ 40 mph and they didn't move much

maybe the recent mod thread I did to my bars will help?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=969169

czechyour6 screwed with this post 04-11-2014 at 07:45 PM
czechyour6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #5
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechyour6 View Post
are the front mounts against the bike frame UNDER the factory frame poles? Are the 12mm spacers under the center mounts ? The 17mm spacer goes on the Right rear and the 20mm spacer is on the Left rear.
+1

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote