Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2014, 11:50 AM   #391
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDirtbag View Post
I would agree that the Altrider are probably the strongest but the TT are nice looking and strong. you do win points on not removing them with the service and bash plate with the hole for the oil service. Both great product...in my point of view. I debated a long time on Altrider and TT for the wife's Bike at the end she pick the TT.
As long as the diameter of the Touratech bars is between 0.85" (21mm) and 1.125" (28mm). I suspect they do fall into that range but I do not have a set to measure.

Kevin
Old 04-08-2014, 12:04 PM   #392
Ashalina
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDirtbag View Post
Take a look at the TT online catalogue at page 79 that's the one I would get it's for the upper crash bar.

Those look great but I'm not going to grab the upper bars. I'm only getting the lower bars.
Ashalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #393
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
As long as the diameter of the Touratech bars is between 0.85" (21mm) and 1.125" (28mm).
Kevin
Just measured my lower bars. They are 25 mm.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #394
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashalina View Post
Has anybody tried to mount highway pegs to their Touratech lower crash bars? I've used the simple pegs like seen here: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/footp...ter-pair-black, where you just need room for the "U" bolt to fit between the motor and bar.

What do those using the Touratech bars say? Would I have room to mount these pegs on the Touratech bars?
Not trashing TT, but I also suggest you look at the Ilium works stuff, .

Pricy for sure. The engineers are easy to talk to and can advise on location, bar thickness, and they've a couple of different styles. No connection and I don't have the pegs, just the crash bars.
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:15 PM   #395
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by eap View Post
Not trashing TT, but I also suggest you look at the Ilium works stuff, .

Pricy for sure. The engineers are easy to talk to and can advise on location, bar thickness, and they've a couple of different styles. No connection and I don't have the pegs, just the crash bars.
Nothing looks worse than an adventure bike with highway pegs IMO ! Always makes me think the rider is a soft arse that never ventures off road and only has an adventure bike to look cool.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:29 PM   #396
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
Nothing looks worse than an adventure bike with highway pegs IMO ! Always makes me think the rider is a soft arse that never ventures off road and only has an adventure bike to look cool.
from a guy that has a squid bike in his signature pic.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:15 PM   #397
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,248
Quote:
Well that falls in the YMMV category, your farkle is not his farkle is not my farkle... Plus the definition of how to use an 'adventure' bike is YMMV also. I'm probably 70/30 road/dirt on this, my third GS. However these pegs fold and stow outa the way, and I think that's pretty cool. I got a close look at a pair at a dealer and they're top quality. I don't have 'em because 1) I don't care for the look either, and 2) I don't like the wide feel. When my old knees need a break, I rest 'em atop the crash bars...
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:44 PM   #398
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Any input on the Touratech brace for the BMW OEM lower crash bars for the GSW?
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:54 AM   #399
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
from a guy that has a squid bike in his signature pic.
No highway pegs on the squid bike !
Old 04-09-2014, 01:11 AM   #400
Shamone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainguy View Post
My right side lined up perfectly. I had to jockey the left side, but not nearly as much as shown in your picture. You probably need to have the bars replaced. I have noticed that with Touratech, there seems to be a lot of variation in how their bars fit. I had a set of an RT once that would not fit either.

I wish that Hepco Becker had their bars ready for the 2014 model. Their design looks really good and probly a little lighter than the TT bars.
Looks like they've been release now - I've just ordered a set in Silver. I've used the link below as it has a description and pictures :)

http://www.motorcycleadventure.com.a...th=101_108_942

Changes to BMW' R1200GS LC models 2014 onward requires changes to crash bar attachments!

BMW has seen fit to vary the crash top connection where frame & engine meet. Please make an assessment of your bike & choose the correct unit to suit! Here is our factory advice on what has happened with this bike
"There are three frames used for this bike, the difference can be seen in the upper fixing points of the engine guard:

frame 1 (Model from 2013) Orignal release - Frame has two fixing holes on the right and left side use 501.665
frame 2 (Model 2014) Frame has 3 holes on the left and 2 on the right for fixing use 501.666
frame 3 (Model 2014) Frame has 1 hole on the left and 1 hole on the right for fixing use 501.666
Shamone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:53 AM   #401
AltRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Does Anyone have concern that by fitting the top crash bars you increase the chance of breaking the top cast mount and causing more damage than no bars? I notice the GSA does not mount crash Bars to the front cast mount.
BMW mounts the OEM upper crash bars for the GSA in that location to accommodate for the oversize fuel tank.

While it's true that could be a concern, in an a wreck the vast majority of impact forces will be on the lower crash bars. Upper bars are meant to address a rollover after the impact -- protecting the upper fairings, radiators, windshield, etc. It is possible for the uppers to impact first if the bike were to flip upside down in the air, but at that point you've got bigger problems to worry about.

Our bars are attached to the lowers using heavy duty Stauff clamps, and mount in a total of 4 locations to spread the load and create a very robust system. This video has been posted to the forum before, but we had the "opportunity" to test out the design first hand a few months ago :

Feel free to email me with any questions you guys have -- mitch.p@altrider.com

-- Mitch
Old 04-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #402
Kevin Dixon
Motorrad Abenteurer

Oddometer: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashalina View Post
Has anybody tried to mount highway pegs to their Touratech lower crash bars? I've used the simple pegs like seen here: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/footp...ter-pair-black, where you just need room for the "U" bolt to fit between the motor and bar.

What do those using the Touratech bars say? Would I have room to mount these pegs on the Touratech bars?

You don't need highway pegs with Touratech bars. I rest my legs on top of the crash bars for a few minutes and I am good to go. It gives the legs a good stretch.
Kevin Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #403
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
I noticed you have Wunderlich bar risers. Did you need to do anything with the brake or clutch lines?
No - just install risers and good to go. There is no strain / bind on either the brake or clutch lines; in fact, that is why I chose that specific model riser as I did not want either the bind, moving, or replacement of the lines. A huge plus for me is the addition of the quick adjust levers to replace the bar clamping bolts - it is like being able to move your seat in a car when on a longer ride/trip. it is especially nice to be able to adjust the bars for off-road when mostly standing on the pegs.
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:51 AM   #404
n1tr0
Dual Sport rider

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon51 View Post
Altrider Ė Totell the truth I was sold on the Alt Rider Crash Bar and Skid Plate system. The only issue was the price. Iím pretty sure itís the best system on the market, and Iím sure itís way more than Iíll ever need. Still I was ready to buy except for one thingÖ
SW-Motech Ė To be honest I had ruled these out before I visited the DC IMS and received a 10% off coupon from Twisted Throttle. The display bike had seen a good bit of action and the bars appeared to have held up great. With the 10% coupon in hand I did a little math, looked at the set from Altrider one last time and placed my order.
All in all, for the most part Iím happy with the bars. That said, if I could go back in time I would have order the AltRider system even though I have never seen it on a bike. I suspect the shot pin finish would hold up better and I like the idea that the skid plate is not mounted to the motor. I also like that the AltRider skid plate doesnít require an extension mounted to the center stand. I wish that they would have been at the DC IMS so that I could have put eyes on the product.
Just wanted to say thanks for your review. I'm in the same position except that Altrider is only blocks from my house,so I feel obligated to support the local guys, but the price gap is almost enough to buy a set of TKC's. I'll probably go with the Altrider bars, but it's not as easy a decision as it would be if the prices were closer.
n1tr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:09 AM   #405
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1tr0 View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for your review. I'm in the same position except that Altrider is only blocks from my house,so I feel obligated to support the local guys, but the price gap is almost enough to buy a set of TKC's. I'll probably go with the Altrider bars, but it's not as easy a decision as it would be if the prices were closer.
I would ask a face-2-face discount on that basis.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote