Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #16
zaTTaz
LOUD NOISES.

Oddometer: 184
Is it really worth turning it into a bobber? Not like it's a GN250 or anything.
zaTTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:41 AM   #17
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
What to do with the Stornello ? I can't afford to fully restore this thing, just get it going. I might do something different - getting into this bobber craze, so I'm going to Bob it. Toss the guards, chop the rear frame off and fit a tractor seat, mount the number plate on the rear axle....and paint it matt black. Loose a a few kilos and look damn cool to boot.

And I'll wrap the exhaust too, got to have a point of difference so people won't say ''Oh, just another Bobber.''
I doubt it will be confused with other bobbers somehow.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:42 AM   #18
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaTTaz View Post
Is it really worth turning it into a bobber? Not like it's a GN250 or anything.
I was gonna say it looks like something Sears/Monkey Wards woulda sold back in the day but decided against it.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:37 PM   #19
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,333
I think that you having it for so long you underestimate the coolness it has as it is. Other people would look at it's individual appearance& appreciate it for a cool looking motorcycle as it left the factory. If you stop & look at it it has cool bars, good looking guards & an authentic patina.
I'd get it going & use it for the cafe runs - wouldn't plan on doing any long trips

Besides which I have a sneaky suspicion you are being a bit facetious with the bobbing idea
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:09 AM   #20
motu OP
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Besides which I have a sneaky suspicion you are being a bit facetious with the bobbing idea

The R65 is into boring commuter mode - it feels wierd to get it out for a ride in the weekend. I might set the Starling up for quick fangs around my back roads. It's a good little bike to flick around the tight stuff, good on gravel too....or I wouldn't still have it. Plate swap time - I was once stopped by the cops on my XS1 (suspected dope grower checking his patch, who else would be on these remote back roads) and the plate was put through and came back ok with WoF and reg....for a lime green Honda stepthrough. Cops are so dumb, I shouldn't have a problem.
motu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:44 AM   #21
motu OP
Loose Pre Unit

I've never had a look at the forks and steering head, so stripped them down today. The gaiters are so hard they don't even compress....and there was some water down the tubes. Gunna have to paint and polish to put it back together.

The boy was having a problem with the bass amp, so sorted that out....and got the old axe out to see how it was working. This thing hasn't been used for over 20 years either....but the fingers I damaged back then have long since healed.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:48 PM   #22
motu OP
Loose Pre Unit

Picking away at the Stornello, I can't put the forks on until I get some gaiters. Pulled the rocker cover off and checked the tappets...perfect. I haven't set them in 30 years. Those who have seen inside a Guzzi twin will recognise the set up...you may not have seen inside the Stornello's competition of the time - the MV Augusta 150...it uses the same rocker plate over the head studs too.

The drive side, the primary drives though the camshaft...makes for a long engine. It's only done 3,000km since I did the engine, but wanted to look at the centrifical filter...clean of course.

A look at the spine frame - swing arm through rear engine mount, and no lower rails. I've put a K&N filter on too.

The muffler has surface rust...maybe I'll paint it black like a Le Mans. I poured some fisholene though it - the cat had a lick of course, I don't think it tasted as good as it smelt. Check out the width of the helical primary drive.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:41 AM   #23
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,333
Very cool. no one needs more than 2 valves.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:40 AM   #24
motu OP
Loose Pre Unit

When ever I pull a motorcycle engine down, I look at the primary drive and remember the Stornello...is it over engineered, or are those narrow spur gears on other bikes only just good enough?
Old 05-11-2014, 03:56 AM   #25
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
When ever I pull a motorcycle engine down, I look at the primary drive and remember the Stornello...is it over engineered, or are those narrow spur gears on other bikes only just good enough?
Those gears and the rocker assembly look very similar to my Benelli.

Was their a lot of cross polination with the Iti lightweights back then?
innathyzit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:12 AM   #26
motu OP
Loose Pre Unit

I guess like the British twins, to an untrained observer they are all just the same - 2 valve 360 degree pushrod twins, Amal carbs, Lucas magneto, generator or alternator and other electrics, same general layout. Italian bikes - Magneti Marelli, Delorto, Magura etc. Maybe the designers all went to the same tech school. The Stornello has a top end very much like the twins, just turned 90 degrees, the ports are actually across the frame. Very easy to work on, much easier to pull the engine right down than any other bike engine I've done. The crank gear is on 3 keyways, so possible to set the cams vernier style like a Triumph....I did use a degree wheel, but only to check the flywheel was true to marks.