Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2014, 09:21 AM   #46
melitele OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Route colors - planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ Charlie View Post
Question 2 - Do we have the ability to change track line colors? I usually load my routes/tracks as individual day trips. Within those trips I'd like to call out difficult riding areas using red along the track line so that I know whats coming. Is this doable? Mountain bikers would benefit from this as well.
Assigning colors to portions of the trip within trip plan is definitely on the list and I'll work on it soon. I'll keep you posted.

As of now the tripshot widget is the only context in which you can assign colors to trips (example: https://trips.furkot.com/widget/ts/m...,dokfYl,AkJcmj, help article: http://help.furkot.com/widgets/embed.html).
melitele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:30 AM   #47
FTL900
White and nerdy

Oddometer: 263
I just found this today, and I love it!!

I've been planning a summer trip since last year- beginning with a a road trip in my truck to ferry three motorcycles from Las Vegas to Puyallup WA.
That's when the fun starts with 4 days of riding.
1. The first day is a local loop ride, 75 miles up the Narrows Bridge and then down across Vashon Island to get used to the bikes, check everything out, and make minor adjustments as needed.
2. On the second day we'll leave from Puyallup riding southwest to the Pacific coast, follow 101 down into Oregon and south to Tillamook and then east to Portland.
3. The third day we're following east on the Columbia river, making a large loop around a park area, and then returning the same way back to the Portland area.
4. The fourth day riding east from the Portland area thru Carson WA. and then north past My St Helens and Mt Rainier, back to Puyallup.

And of course, then the long road trip back home in the truck. The truck parts are pretty easy.. long stretches of super-slab designed to put the miles behind me in 2 days.
But the 4 local days of riding are where the fun is. I'm using your app to redesign our 4 days of riding.
I love that I can pick and adjust the waypoints so easily, and I'll be able to use Furkot to book local rooms for us each night.

I see that Furkot won't add a gas stop in conjunction with a sleep stop, but how about allowing me to manually add fuel stops and then let Furkot readjust the next fuel stop, or let Furkot plan fuel stops in conjunction with any other stop? If I'm stopping for a meal, then I'm going to gas up while I'm stopped instead of making a fuel-only stop later.

Edit: OK, I found it, in the EAT drawer. I wasn't exactly looking there for it, but now I know.

I'm totally using it!
Michael

FTL900 screwed with this post 04-01-2014 at 11:05 AM
FTL900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:09 AM   #48
melitele OP
Adventurer

Gas stops

Thank you Michael for your kind words about Furkot.
I did a similar trip once (sadly not on motorcycle). That's incredibly beautiful part of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTL900 View Post
I see that Furkot won't add a gas stop in conjunction with a sleep stop, but how about allowing me to manually add fuel stops and then let Furkot readjust the next fuel stop, or let Furkot plan fuel stops in conjunction with any other stop? If I'm stopping for a meal, then I'm going to gas up while I'm stopped instead of making a fuel-only stop later.

Edit: OK, I found it, in the EAT drawer. I wasn't exactly looking there for it, but now I know.
I'm sorry about hiding gas stations in the Eat drawer - I'll find a better home for them.

While it doesn't completely solve it, you can manually mark any stop that lets you change its icon as refueling stop. In Plan drawer, when you select stop you can see its details and in the top left corner there is an icon representing stop type that you can click. Some stops won't let you do that though (for instance you can't take a restaurant and make it into something else).

melitele screwed with this post 04-01-2014 at 11:24 AM Reason: wrong title
Old 04-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #49
Ciph3r
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Furkot has really grown on me, its a very useful tool for me and the planning of my month long trip to and through Italy :)

One thing I noticed today is, that Basecamp won't import the gpx files anymore (not in any combination), I have a older export of my trip and that is working without a problem. The only difference I can see is, that the new export has a < / time > field for every < rtept >. If it helps, I can send you both trip files.
Ciph3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #50
melitele OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciph3r View Post
One thing I noticed today is, that Basecamp won't import the gpx files anymore (not in any combination), I have a older export of my trip and that is working without a problem. The only difference I can see is, that the new export has a < / time > field for every < rtept >.
Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Indeed Furkot had a bug but it's fixed now. I apologize for the inconvenience.

melitele screwed with this post 04-01-2014 at 01:21 PM Reason: fixed
Old 04-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #51
FTL900
White and nerdy

This is really looking great, Natalia!

One question.. I have a 4-day total trip created as 4 separate trips, one for each day. So now I have 4 corresponding trip icons, one for each day.

Somehow I created day 2 trip first, but I can't drag and drop it into the correct order on my TRIP page. So I have DAY 2, DAY 1, DAY 3, DAY 4. Yeah, I know.. my OCD is showing.

Is there any way to do that?? When I mouse over a trip icon, it seems like they want to respond to my attempts to rearrange them, but then they don't move.
I double-checked my individual trip dates to make sure they're all sequential. I thought maybe they would auto-arrange based on trip beginning date.

Thanks!
Michael
Old 04-01-2014, 03:38 PM   #52
melitele OP
Adventurer

Trip order

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTL900 View Post
I double-checked my individual trip dates to make sure they're all sequential. I thought maybe they would auto-arrange based on trip beginning date.
Trips arrange themselves by date but they only do it once when the page is opened. Try to close and reopen the page, or refresh it, or log out and log back in.

We are also working to support trip grouping, tagging and arranging according to user's criteria - I'll keep you posted.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:54 PM   #53
wanderlost
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Suggestions for improvements

Hi: I tried out the program just now and found a problem (at least for me). I started clicking in a series of road I wanted to include in a trip and as the route extended, the program re-routed me from the routes I picked to a more "sensible" and direct route, but that is not my goal. Is there a way to drop points and not have the program change them?

Otherwise it seems intuitive and easy to use. I could se myself using this to lay out a road trip.

Paul
wanderlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:43 PM   #54
s1marks
Mercedes

Oddometer: 601
Just found this today. Wow! looks fantaatic, will definitely be using for this summers big trip. Will play some more over the next few weeks.

So many roads, so little time!

S1
Old 04-02-2014, 09:55 AM   #55
FTL900
White and nerdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by melitele View Post
Trips arrange themselves by date but they only do it once when the page is opened. Try to close and reopen the page, or refresh it, or log out and log back in.

We are also working to support trip grouping, tagging and arranging according to user's criteria - I'll keep you posted.
That absolutely did it. I logged back in today and they're rearranged into chronological order.

You may want to to cross-post this into another forum or two, to get the word out there. The PNW riders forum encompasses Washington, Oregon, and Idaho.
Another that comes to mind is TWTex, Two Wheel Texans... those guys have a big state and do a lot of big rides down there as well.
Maybe the ZRXOA.org as well, it's nation-wide with a few international members.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:56 PM   #56
Ciph3r
Adventurer

I can think of a feature I would like to have: an export where I can get a zip file for example with gpx files for each day. I put many stops and other locations into my routes and it is not easy for me to see where one day ends and another starts in basecamp or on my garmin.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:04 PM   #57
melitele OP
Adventurer

Daily routes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciph3r View Post
I can think of a feature I would like to have: an export where I can get a zip file for example with gpx files for each day. I put many stops and other locations into my routes and it is not easy for me to see where one day ends and another starts in basecamp or on my garmin.
A fine idea. In the meantime, did you try the new export option 'Include overview routes (one route per day)'? It may help esp. in Basecamp.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:24 AM   #58
Ciph3r
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by melitele View Post
A fine idea. In the meantime, did you try the new export option 'Include overview routes (one route per day)'? It may help esp. in Basecamp.
Not yet, but I finally got a first version of my route done :) https://trips.furkot.com/board/mKL5H4 (any comments on that?) will try the export with "one route per day" later :)
Old 04-10-2014, 01:10 PM   #59
McAninch35
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Really loving Furkot! I especially love how willing you are to accept input, Natalia.

I look forward to the iPhone app, if that's still in the cards. If done well this combo could be absolutely perfect for me.
McAninch35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:42 PM   #60
melitele OP
Adventurer

iPhone App

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAninch35 View Post
I look forward to the iPhone app, if that's still in the cards. If done well this combo could be absolutely perfect for me.
Definitely in the cards! Thank you for using Furkot.

When you open Furkot on the phone now you see a list of stops in your trips and can easily start native navigation app (Apple Maps on iPhone) to navigate to a selected stop. We want to give our users more than that: ability to modify their trips on the go as well as navigate not just the shortest route but along their own custom planned route.

We are working on the new version of Furkot mobile page and Furkot iPhone app for the former and are seeking partnerships with developers of navigation apps for the latter. I may have something to announce about navigating custom routes with a phone app soon. Stay tuned.