Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2014, 04:28 PM   #16
dcparks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
I run the twin lapaz hid lights on my xr

Are these LEDs better or worse than the HIDs for all round use?

Can you dim these LEDs?

Is the squadron xl the same as the squadron ?

Thanks
wow - check out the headlights on that hot little number in red! there is no way those things are real....
dcparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:45 PM   #17
Baja Designs OP
Baja Designs

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Wow thanks Christian. Can I use my normal receiver to mount them?
Quote:
So what sort of distance and width (meters pls) can you expect from the squadrons ?

Does the kit weigh less than the twin lapaz lights I have ?
The Squadron XL Dual Racelight includes rubberized clamps to mount to your bike. We have not yet found long flat enough area of land to properly test the spread and beam distance of the Squadron XL because of the power and length of the light. I will gladly post the results once we conduct the testing. And the Dual LaPaz Racelight weighs 12.9 lbs. and the Squadron XL Dual Racelight weighs 7.7 lbs., Hope this information helps- Christian
Like our facebook page for all the latest BD news:https://www.facebook.com/BajaDesigns...gy?ref=tn_tnmn
Baja Designs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:01 PM   #18
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,318
So almost half the weight that's great.

Can they be incorporated into my hi low switch on my xr Honda ?
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #19
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

One more question - what's the real lumen count between the twin lapaz and these new lights ?
Old 01-22-2014, 09:40 AM   #20
Baja Designs OP
Baja Designs

Quote:
So almost half the weight that's great.

Can they be incorporated into my hi low switch on my xr Honda ?
Quote:
One more question - what's the real lumen count between the twin lapaz and these new lights ?
I have not heard anyone with that mod, but it does seem possible. The Squadron XL Dual Racelight uses two toggle switches to activate each light. So the wiring from the toggles would go to your leads to your high and low switches and would turn on one or both of the Squadron XL's. As for the lumen comparison between the lights, HID's normally are not measured in lumens just because it uses light that cant be seen by the human eye as well usable light. But most accurate lumen count I can get for the Dual LaPaz Racelight is 7000, 3500 per LaPaz. And Squadron XL Dual Racelight provides 8600 lumens, 4300 per Squadron XL. I hope you found this information helpful. And thanks again for your interest in our products.- Christian
Like our facebook page for all the latest BD news:https://www.facebook.com/BajaDesigns...gy?ref=tn_tnmn
Old 01-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #21
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,800
Quote:
HID's normally are not measured in lumens just because it uses light that cant be seen by the human eye as well usable light.
I call bull....maybe you want to rethink this statement. Lumens are a measurement of the total amount of raw visible light emitted by a source.

It's all marketing BS anyways as the published lumen hype does not reflect the actual usable light output of a fixture. That is dependent on many other factors including power supply, reflector, lens , etc. BWOE, when Overland Journal tested the original Squadron (advertised as 3600 RAW lumen) they measured actual lumen output at 1097. Many of the other mfg's lights tested were closer to 25% of the marketing claims. Even with the inflated marketing claims, the Squadron still received the Editor's Choice award.

If you want to educate the consumer then start putting out real, scientific, independently verifiable photometric data for your products. How about some charts with throw distance, field angle and illuminance (fc and/or lux). Maybe a nice iso-illuminance diagram to show beam distribution. I know you have some of this already. BD makes high quality products, I've got a bunch of them. Come on, this is your chance to show off your stuff and raise the industry standards by dumping the BS.

OK, rant over
Old 01-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #22
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

I agree the lumen numbers should be published.

I think what the manufacturers do is count the theoretical lumen not measured.

So how about it BD - real lumen counts? Also you would have done enough testing by now to make a comparison to the lapaz lights.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:10 PM   #23
Baja Designs OP
Baja Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
I call bull....maybe you want to rethink this statement. Lumens are a measurement of the total amount of raw visible light emitted by a source.

It's all marketing BS anyways as the published lumen hype does not reflect the actual usable light output of a fixture. That is dependent on many other factors including power supply, reflector, lens , etc. BWOE, when Overland Journal tested the original Squadron (advertised as 3600 RAW lumen) they measured actual lumen output at 1097. Many of the other mfg's lights tested were closer to 25% of the marketing claims. Even with the inflated marketing claims, the Squadron still received the Editor's Choice award.

If you want to educate the consumer then start putting out real, scientific, independently verifiable photometric data for your products. How about some charts with throw distance, field angle and illuminance (fc and/or lux). Maybe a nice iso-illuminance diagram to show beam distribution. I know you have some of this already. BD makes high quality products, I've got a bunch of them. Come on, this is your chance to show off your stuff and raise the industry standards by dumping the BS.

OK, rant over
I may have been misleading in the previous statement, what I meant to include was that before the off-road light industry was introduced LED's, the measure of lumens was not common practice. Comparing the LED's lumen output to the discharge of an HID is not an accurate measuring of light output. To measure HID lamp lumens you must measure spherically, counting every lumen discharged in the 360 degrees around the light, HID's do not emit directional light. It is because of this reason you lose a lot of the claimed "lumens" as soon as the HID is mounted in a light housing with a reflector and lens, blocking the spherical ray of that HID's emit. It's essentially rating a light bulb for every degree of light then using the light bulb behind a piece of glass and reflecting 50% of the light off of a concave mirror. Whereas LED's are directional and have very little wasted light even when place in a reflect behind a lens.

About the industry "BS" about claimed lumens, yes, it is a very faulty system. Based on the amount of power to the LED's and the hindrance of reflector, lens, etc.,and the amount of lumens our LED's are rated for, all calculations for our lumen counts are correct. Our lumen counts show the maximum efficiency that all the components together produce. We, and every other LED lighting manufacturer have test results of true lumen count of their lights, but under-selling the maximum lumens capable of our lights without other companies following suit, would harm the ability to compare our lights to any other company. (It would give our lights the appearance that they are not bright or even comparable by any means.)- Christian

Baja Designs screwed with this post 01-23-2014 at 05:21 PM
Old 01-23-2014, 05:21 PM   #24
Baja Designs OP
Baja Designs

Quote:
I agree the lumen numbers should be published.

I think what the manufacturers do is count the theoretical lumen not measured.

So how about it BD - real lumen counts? Also you would have done enough testing by now to make a comparison to the lapaz lights.
We have not found a large enough area of flat land to properly test and measure the Squadron XL and LaPaz HID. But here are the brand new isolux charts for the Squadron XL, I hope you find this information helpful- Christian
Old 04-11-2014, 06:48 PM   #25
Forzato
baboodee

Oddometer: 65
Ktm 500 exc

See my KTM 500 EXC with Baja Designs Dual Squadron XL install here.

Forzato is offline   Reply With Quote