ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2006, 09:12 AM   #1
Killer Whale KTM OP
Life is the adventure!

Oddometer: 712
Chattahoochee Nat.Forest#58 closed

Guy's,
Chattahoochee Nat.Forest road closed #58 was closed about a mile off Doublehead gap rd. I wanted to go 58 to 42 to 69 then back out somehow on 333. I only had time for a short loop, and it was 5 pm when I arrived at the closing. No big deal since I was tired as hell ! (recovering from bad cold and no riding practice since the winter monsoon !!)
I don't think I've been on 333 so I thought I'd go North to find it then head back. I found 332 clearly marked but I see now I needed to go further North.Sometime in the near future I'll check out the swinging bridge. Man, are the rivers and creeks in this (that) area beautiful or what ??!! I sat on a rock in the Noontootla creek and re-energized with Home-made beef jerky and a hot cup of tea Watched the sun set from the look off on Burnt Mtn Rd. ,then turned the heated grips on high and roared on to Grandview Lake (home). Oh Yeah.....If I find out why or how long the road will be closed,or any more closings I'll post here.
See Y'all
Killer Whale KTM
Old 02-26-2006, 07:27 AM   #2
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,617
Next time you're heading out, look me up.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:06 AM   #3
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,062
Thanks for the info. FYI fireroad 221 in the Cherokee Nat. Forest at the Jacks River campground is closed also. I rode down Thursday and according to an old toothless soothsayer, the bridge went out. I thought it would be open by now since it's been closed for a month.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:51 PM   #4
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

They close alot of the FS roads around here in winter....apparently there is alot of erosion and damaging things happenning during the brrrr season.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:44 PM   #5
Killer Whale KTM OP
Life is the adventure!

Oddometer: 712
Hey , Flux,
I never really know when I can go, but sure ! I'll call or post or something.
I've been waiting for a new set of conti TKC80s. With all this rain they would surely do better than the worn out scorpions on the trail. But...could I still be Valentino Rossi in the twisties ?? Maybe my imagination is a little out of whack?! Anyway some decent knobbies would open up a lot more trails for me.
Fullmonte, I'll check my map maybe some Cherokee forest is in my future !
Thanks
Killer Whale KTM
Jeff
Old 02-26-2006, 05:50 PM   #6
dakarboy
ugly and stupid

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Whale KTM
Hey , Flux,
I never really know when I can go, but sure ! I'll call or post or something.
I've been waiting for a new set of conti TKC80s. With all this rain they would surely do better than the worn out scorpions on the trail. But...could I still be Valentino Rossi in the twisties ?? Maybe my imagination is a little out of whack?! Anyway some decent knobbies would open up a lot more trails for me.
Fullmonte, I'll check my map maybe some Cherokee forest is in my future !
Thanks
Killer Whale KTM
Jeff
tkc's i find are perfect in alot of scenarios; rocks, hard pack, asphalt and fire roads. everytime i have gone down on my scoot has been the following;
mudd, sand and wet asphalt. drop the pressure off road, respect the fact that you do not have full on knobbies off road, semi knobbies on road and you can go anywhere w/ them and have pretty good time doing it.
dakarboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 05:56 PM   #7
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakarboy
tkc's i find are perfect in alot of scenarios; rocks, hard pack, asphalt and fire roads. everytime i have gone down on my scoot has been the following;
mudd, sand and wet asphalt. drop the pressure off road, respect the fact that you do not have full on knobbies off road, semi knobbies on road and you can go anywhere w/ them and have pretty good time doing it.
Ya what dakarboy said.
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:19 AM   #8
PoodlePumper
Custom Title User

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte
Thanks for the info. FYI fireroad 221 in the Cherokee Nat. Forest at the Jacks River campground is closed also. I rode down Thursday and according to an old toothless soothsayer, the bridge went out. I thought it would be open by now since it's been closed for a month.
If it's the same bridge I'm thinking of - it washed out some time last year. They rebuilt the end - just packed dirt/concrete up under the end - but it didn't seem like a good solution to me. It probably washed out again.

PP
Old 02-27-2006, 12:54 PM   #9
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodlePumper
If it's the same bridge I'm thinking of - it washed out some time last year. They rebuilt the end - just packed dirt/concrete up under the end - but it didn't seem like a good solution to me. It probably washed out again.

PP
Yeah, the thing is I went through there in mid January with no probs. Just had to go slow where they had recently put in some (fist sized)crushed stone. Then I take Boojum and SuppermoTodd through there a week later and the road is completely blocked off. Trust me I tried, but they did a good job of blocking it.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 03:14 PM   #10
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakarboy
I've got a set of Kenda K270's on my Dakar and find for half the price, they work fine.

Only ridden for 2 minutes on Teeks, on a V Strom. Felt good for the 2 minutes I rode them.