ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2006, 08:09 AM   #1
iDave OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 929
North Gawja Mountains

iDave screwed with this post 02-14-2011 at 01:38 PM
iDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:43 AM   #2
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,221
I'm not a local expert, but 129 over Blood Mtn. is a hoot, as is Wolf Pen Gap Rd. (180, east from Suches), as is 60 running north to Suches and all the way up to TN, where it becomes 68, which takes you to Tellico Plains and the western end of the Cherohala Skyway--take the Cherohala east into NC and you won't be far from the dragon. Locals would steer ya better though.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:57 AM   #3
-G-
dirt camper

Oddometer: 96
Old GA 2

for some off road -- take Old GA 2 west between Blue Ridge, GA and Copperhill, TN-- then turn right when it goes to dirt/gravel, and follow the FS roads up around the Jacks River watershed, pop out at Ocoee River gorge on other side of mtn. Done it in my old 4x4 -- would be a great cycle ride, if roads are still open (no gates when i was there).

If you want twisties, I'm not the one to ask...
Old 02-27-2006, 09:08 AM   #4
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,327
Wayah Road, go N From Rt 64 in Franklin NC, to Rt 74 in Nantahala Gorge. Great paved twisties, beautiful lake, and too many to list gravel roads, that all put you out on Rt 74. Then you can take Rt 28, by Fontana Dam to Deal's Gap. Rt 28 is actually more scenic than Deal's Gap, IMHO.

OR....................from Wayah Road take 74 West to Andrews NC, take Tatham Gap Road to Robbinsville. Tatham Gap Road is the very first leg of the original trail of tears, undisturbed, except it has been graveled. Robbinsville to the Gap, then Rt 28 from the Gap back to Rt 74.

I had better stop before I get you confused. We just have too much riding in NC.
dlrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:02 AM   #5
ilmostro
Under Da Sea

Oddometer: 29,253
  • 19/129 Dahlonega to Blairsville
  • 60 From the rockpile to Blue Ridge
  • 180 aka Wolfpen Gap Rd From Suches to SR17 (pop up Brasstown Bald for a looksee)
  • 2 From Ellijay to Chatsworth
  • Warwoman Rd from Clayton to 28 than take it into Highlands or loop south to 107 then go north to Cashiers.
  • 64 Highlands to Ellijay
  • 28 Ellijay to Deals Gap
  • Deals Gap
  • 129 from Deals Gap to Robbinsville (faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast )
  • Cherohala Skyway (143) From Robbinsville into Tellico Plains

That should take a few days to get in. Some of the best roads going are in the GA/TN/NC area.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:29 AM   #6
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave
Is 129 North from Athens straight into the gap a nice ride?
No. The good parts of 129--Blood Mtn. & Deals Gap--don't account for all that much mileage. Much of the rest is flatland and/or congested.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:57 AM   #7
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmostro
  • 19/129 Dahlonega to Blairsville
  • 60 From the rockpile to Blue Ridge
  • 180 aka Wolfpen Gap Rd From Suches to SR17 (pop up Brasstown Bald for a looksee)
  • 2 From Ellijay to Chatsworth
  • Warwoman Rd from Clayton to 28 than take it into Highlands or loop south to 107 then go north to Cashiers.
  • 64 Highlands to Ellijay
  • 28 Ellijay to Deals Gap
  • Deals Gap
  • 129 from Deals Gap to Robbinsville (faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast )
  • Cherohala Skyway (143) From Robbinsville into Tellico Plains

That should take a few days to get in. Some of the best roads going are in the GA/TN/NC area.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:05 PM   #8
GeoBiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Hwy 197 between Clarkesville and Hwy. 76 is a nice ride..! From there, it is east to Clayton, west to Hiawassee.
GeoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:34 PM   #9
Swamp Rat
DEO VINDICE

Oddometer: 90
Wink

Just got back not 15 minutes ago from Wolf Pen Gap FS4 is open and clear and 60 was good, 180 had ALOT of gravel all over the road making for an interesting ride down. I would agree with all the recommendations so far and would include 438 from outside Helen up to 180.
I usualy make a figue eight of 438 to 129 to turners corner and up 19 to 180 to 60 down to 19 then back up blood mountain for a second time( my morning run today )
Swamp Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:18 PM   #10
CCRyder
Champ

Oddometer: 1,707
the ride from Helen to Hiawassee---I think its Ga. hwy 75 (or alternate 75?) is good, as are the Richard B Russell Parkway which is Hwy. 348....I believe that is the one SwampRat was referring to ( not 438??)

Also from Ellijay ride over and thru Fort Mountain (state Park) which is hwy 52 I believe....I ride these all the time and don't pay as much attention to the actual highway numbers as I used to.....

hwy 60 is awesome as others have said, also the ride from Blairsville down 129 (over Blood Mountain) is great, and 180 of course (which you can ride from Helen across to Suches is a favorite....(the best end of it is the section from 129 west to Suches).
Best riding is during the week (less bike traffic of course)
As someone else mentioned some roads have lots of sand/dirt/salt or whatever mix they put on the roads in winter up there....so be alert.
Ride Safe and the good news is....its hard to find a "bad" road up there !

p.s.---hwy 64 thru the ocoee gorge towards Cleveland Tenn. is another good one, and you can take hwy 30 off that towards Tellico Plains and the Cherohala.......thanks to Team Redneck for the highway 30 tip....but it did have lots of loose stuff on it last week, probably gone now after all the rain we just had.

2002 KTM 520 E/XC
2011 BMW R1200 GSA
CCRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:27 PM   #11
CCRyder
Champ

Oddometer: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides
. Then you can take Rt 28, by Fontana Dam to Deal's Gap. Rt 28 is actually more scenic than Deal's Gap, IMHO.

I had better stop before I get you confused. We just have too much riding in NC.
couldn't agree more, its one of my favorites, and not only scenic but some pretty intense twisties as well....

its hard to pick a favorite, north Ga. or Western N.C. .......some of the best riding anywhere ......

2002 KTM 520 E/XC
2011 BMW R1200 GSA
CCRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:34 PM   #12
ilmostro
Under Da Sea

Oddometer: 29,253
I was up on a bunch of the roads on Thursday and all were fine except 180 between TWO and Vogel. Covered in Gravel. Bad.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:14 PM   #13
Swamp Rat
DEO VINDICE

Oddometer: 90
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRyder
the ride from Helen to Hiawassee---I think its Ga. hwy 75 (or alternate 75?) is good, as are the Richard B Russell Parkway which is Hwy. 348....I believe that is the one SwampRat was referring to ( not 438??).....

UUHhhh ya, my bad, fingers moving faster than my brain
Swamp Rat is offline   Reply With Quote