Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2014, 07:52 AM   #31
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,274
I just caught up on this as well. btw, I'm in Nashville.

Fred, you're welcome at my place anytime. You as well, Bob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
One of the our "fellow" ADV'rs (hardwaregrrl Jenna, a good friend of your Atlanta buddy blake) just posted your ride report in the Airheads... man, you just made my day.....read through the entire report, and wishing (vicariously!) to be doing what you are doing. Good on ya' for setting out, far too often we plan so freeking meticulously that we lose the JOY in just... doing it. You have my respect and gratitude for what you do...

...put the cell phone down and go out and feel what life is about, amen!

bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:11 AM   #32
akula802
Oil Whisperer

Oddometer: 105
Awesome RR. Stuff like this is what gets me through the day.

I'll be leaving soon on a journey of my own, and I just have to ask about the stuff you were putting in your nostrils in the desert? Is the hot, dry air prone to give folks nosebleeds? I'm a brain-frozen Minnesota boy and know nothing of these "deserts."

Betting the world on a pair of fives
akula802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:54 PM   #33
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Wonderful writing style. Looking forward to your trip back east.
boatpuller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:35 AM   #34
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,826
Anxiously waiting to hear how you dealt with the loose cylinder stud . I had the same problem on my R100GS while at the national rally in Salem, OR last summer .

Dave
Old 04-02-2014, 06:26 PM   #35
Marc LaDue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
M & M from Sioux City say hi!

Is this the same Fred that didn't have enough bad luck with one low-side, and apparently just had to add a deer-hit somewhere out Oregon-way? Hope you're still trying to keep the shiny side up,

Marc and Marsha
Marc LaDue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:48 AM   #36
cldiver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Great story. It must be a blast. I keep expecting to read a "boy meets girl, boy leaves girl, girl meets boy later, type ending.
cldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:58 PM   #37
LandLeftBehind OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
To Hillsboro

Its good to hear from everyone. Blake you better be careful what you wish for - I might just end up at your doorstep again on a work night with some awful mess for you to deal with again.

Akula, I used a product called aquaphor. It seemed to work only marginally in the Mojave. Riding through that place was literally like pointing a blow dryer in my face for several hours, even with a full-face helmet (which was extremely nice to have in that environment). That stretch of I-10 was an exception to the other deserts I rode through though. The deserts of the Southwest are magical, I highly recommend visiting them.

As I mentioned in my last post, I was connected with a mechanic near Hillsboro who was willing to help me fix the issue. I had never met the fellow, and I had no idea what to expect.

I left the farm on a strongly optimistic note. I had been in one place for too long and it was refreshing to be on the road again. I was going to grab the horns of the mechanical issue that could ruin my trip. The oil was dripping away, but I knew the bike was going to get me to my destination.

Some accidental video footage of the Oregon Coastline:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQk_...ature=youtu.be

I was lucky enough to meet a diverse group of folks through an internship the previous summer. One of those friends was currently studying in Newport - a perfect midpoint between Coos Bay and Portland. We met and promptly headed to the beach for a surf outing. I didnt have a surf board or wet suit, but it felt great to crash head-first in the frigid Pacific for as long as I could stand it.

It was the perfect place to stop for the night, or so I thought...

The following morning was typical for the Pacific Coast, cold and foggy. I was ready to hit the road though. I knew that day was going to be the it - I would arrive to the good shepherd, who would guide me out of the shadow of doubt that had always cast itself just beyond the mountains, deserts, and cities where I rode. "What is hidden under this aluminum housing?"

I saddle up my bags and check tire pressures and oil. I hop on the bike and press the starter button.

ZIT-ZIT-ZINGGGGGG

"Theres no way"

press again

ZING-ZING-TZZZ

The starter was emanating a noise that sounded like the teeth of gears griding together. My mind was a vacuum.

ZING-ZITT-CHINNNG

Vacuum mind. I simply refuse to believe whats happening is happening, now, on this day, of all days. My obstinance eventually pays off.

VROOMMM VROOM VROOM

So now its a ride to Hillsboro with no stops. Too bad I didnt have enough gas to make it the whole way....

Maybe there is something to be said for simply refusing to accept a reality despite overwhelming evidence.

Pulling the starter out only left me confused. The magnets had collapsed, seizing the rotor and destroying the actuating arm. To this day, I wonder how I made it to Hillsboro without a pick-up truck.

LandLeftBehind screwed with this post 04-15-2014 at 08:11 PM
LandLeftBehind is offline   Reply With Quote