User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2014, 08:19 AM   #16
Jenn OP
praise seitan!

Oddometer: 727
Day 3 - Saturday, MELLOW day!

Saturday Morning - everyone was working on breakfast and plans, and I was feeling my ankle was a bit sore so wanted to take it easy. Curtis agreed -- he was very new to riding in dirt and on a very big motorcycle, so we decided to pair up (plus he's a nurse, so I figured I'd be safe if I hurt myself again!).

When our friend Felix heard that, he gallantly offered to be our tour guide and make our Saturday a trio.

Our plan was to go to Chloride Cliffs and then to Beatty for lunch, followed by Rhyolite en route to Titus Canyon. We stopped for lunch in Stovepipe Wells and then headed off to the turn off for Chloride Cliffs.

I honestly did not get more than 3-4 miles when I realized that my ankle was impeding my confidence and my riding. It was sore and I was avoiding standing on the pegs because the pressure increased the pain that I was feeling.

So, I turned back and headed to Beatty -- got gas, found some acetaminophen (NSAIDs don't work on me) and found a spot at the Sourdough Saloon where the bartender took my order for a pizza and fixed me up with a bag of ice for my ankle. Just as I was finishing my order, Felix & Curtis arrived -- so I got beers for them as well.

And then, this happened:

Social media time!

After an hour with ice, a beer and pizza -- the acetaminophen kicked in and my ankle felt much better. We bid adieu to the Sourdough Saloon, stopping only for cash on our way to Rhyolite

Rhyolite is a weird little place - a "ghost town" - with a bit of an arts gallery and some large outdoor installations.

There is plenty to see for about 15-20 minutes and even a nice sofa for a nap:

Curtis, sacrificing himself to the Nazgûl

Enough shenanigans! Time to say good bye to the nice gallery curator

Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #17
Jenn OP
praise seitan!

Onward, to Titus Canyon!

Other than a little post-prandial nap that my body was craving, I was feeling pretty good. The road to Titus canyon was pretty mellow and then... I felt something cold and wet on my backside. Platypus leak? Oh no - it's still going.

Screeching to a halt...

Dammit. My klean kanteen bottle jiggled OPEN - I swear that was screwed down tight and now I was wearing grape electrolyte drink all over my butt. How did that happen? Damned physics. NB: even if you think it is screwed in, check it.

OK, back to our originally scheduled program.

I have never seen SO many different colors of soil in one place!

At the pass:

Note to self: don't stand DOWNHILL from Felix in photos (seriously, he's only 4" taller than me, not 10"!)

Felix's sandwich got tenderized. "It's ripe!!"

Curtis & Felix got way ahead of me -- here's Curtis exiting Titus Canyon

Meanwhile, I was scouting more potential climbing locales:

Finally, I exit the canyon to the warm welcome of my patient friends:

And now we celebrate an awesome day!

I even got a little climbing in (with MX boots, can't go very far):

On our way back, the wind really picked up -- we went through some swirling sand, and then cooled our heels at Stovepipe Wells. Probably a good thing because on our way back -- out of nowhere was a phalanx of about 15 cars. At the top of the pass, we saw emergency vehicles and the road was open so I didn't slow to gawk and flew down the hill back to camp. We were going to miss the raffle!

I got to the campground and waited -- Curtis arrived about 6 minutes after me, and then after 20 minutes, I turned around to look for Felix. I only had to go a couple miles before I found him, it turns out he had lost his GoPro camera.

Curtis won a sleeping bag but my extra tickets did not net me a prize. Very sad Jenn face.

Sunday morning, Fergus and Aaron packed up for their continued journey to the Grand Canyon, and Curtis packed up to head back to the Bay Area on 2 wheels.

Sorry to report that Felix did not find his GoPro but it was somewhere around HERE:

So, if you stopped there and found a little GoPro camera....

One last stop at Father Crowley overlook:

Felix is way better at being photographed than I am:

I just die laughing when I get instructions for "1000 yard stare" or whatever - here's me, the big dork:

All loaded up and getting on the road!

Seth powered through all the way to San Jose -- he's an excellent driver and just goes and goes, safely and without fuss, unflappable by the antics of lesser drivers doing stupid stunts on the road.

We finally were off the trailer and unpacked by 9:30p -- after a quick stop for some Indian food before getting on the freeway, Felix and I both headed north.

This is how much stuff I did not wear! I'll get my packing list up and notate it for "next time." :)

BIG THANKS to Seth for welcoming me to join his RV on this trip, he's a man with a system and he's efficient and organized. Felix -- a great friend in any case -- was lots of fun on this trip. I appreciated all the advice from Seth & Felix, the camaraderie of the whole Adobe crew. Lior & Moishe for being awesome! Thanks to Joel for organizing everything.

Also - thanks to whomever started the whisper campaign that almost everyone said "OH, I heard you are a really good rider" - thanks, that was really fun and supportive. :)
Old 04-09-2014, 09:27 PM   #18
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,992
great job jenn.
though i was there, i still enjoy your rr.

see you again next year, maybe by then you put on 50k on the bike.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:20 PM   #19
Jenn OP
praise seitan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
great job jenn.
though i was there, i still enjoy your rr.

see you again next year, maybe by then you put on 50k on the bike.
Is that 50K more or 15K more? I'm already at 35K now!

ANKLE UPDATE: I was very good all last week, did not go running, climbing or bicycling. Only went swimming using the pull buoy. Ankle was feeling pretty good. Then, it got cold. I turned on the heating pads for the cats and on Sunday night, after rubbing lotion (with arnica) on my feet and lower legs -- I parked my heels on the ottoman on top of the heating pad.

Woke up with crazy pain -- and on Monday morning, went climbing anyway thinking "WTF is wrong with my ankle? Why does my heel hurt so much?" Then the climbing shoes really were making it sore and finally I looked -- CRAZY bruising. Plus I was feeling so light headed after just doing a few pitches -- easy pitches, like 5.10C and 5.10D, nothing hard -- that I had to sit down on the floor. Dizzy. WTF?

Heel was NOT bruised after initial impact 9 days earlier. Heel & ankle really hurt. AND - there was a big lump on the front of my shin, too! Went to doctor and he said no ligament tear and no break -- I probably just busted a muscle fiber from one of the calf muscles.

On some people, esp active people and runners like me -- some of the muscle fibers go down between the Achilles and the bone -- and if I popped one of those, my body would have tried to contain the leak creating a bursa.

You know how you get a bursa to release? You rub it and put heat on it!

Doc told me "Good job! keep it up! more ice and heat and rubbing!"

The sciatic nerve goes all the way down there so it was probably inflamed and rubbing boots/climbing shoes on that area just stimulated some fight/flight or sit on your damned ass dummy response. Whew. That was so weird.

So, yesterday - I did a morning swim, ran 4.5 mi at lunch -- ankle felt pretty good. Then I went to an iso-yoga class and swimming again. I think the yoga class was the one thing too many and ankle was complaining about odd pressure (so was the right wrist, actually). Today, I only went running and swimming.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:06 AM   #20
Vetmoto
I love motos

Oddometer: 160
Well done
Vetmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:41 PM   #21
PinkPillion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498

Enjoyed the report and I hope the ankle heals soon. If we are lucky the cacti will be blooming for us. Thanks for sharing.
PinkPillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #22
5boomers
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Hi Jenn nice RR I didn't know you took so many pictures, a good rider for sure on that Suzuki, you would be dangerous on a 450.
5boomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:01 PM   #23
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
Shweeeet!

Great ride report, Jen. Nice to see you in DV! I love the pics of Mengal Pass. Whoo hoo!
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:17 AM   #24
rodr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Nicely done Jenn!

Got any trips planned for this summer?
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:18 PM   #25
Jenn OP
praise seitan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPillion View Post

Enjoyed the report and I hope the ankle heals soon. If we are lucky the cacti will be blooming for us. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks! I hope you'll post up a trip report and photos -- also, be sure to check out the Death Valley Riding Conditions thread -- people appreciate information and photos there, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Suz View Post
Great ride report, Jen. Nice to see you in DV! I love the pics of Mengal Pass. Whoo hoo!
Thanks, Suz! It was pretty crazy! I heard from Seth that there was a "hard" and an "easy" split -- and Rachel charged ahead and went up the hard split. At the top of the pass, there was also an option to go down off a bit of a drop or to go down a steeper hill -- but I didn't get pictures of those. I was so tired at that point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodr View Post
Nicely done Jenn!

Got any trips planned for this summer?
Thanks, Rod! So far, not much planned. I usually go to Oregon in the first week of July, but it seems like my manager and everyone is going to be gone for the whole month of July so I might be able to take an extra week off. I have a big week-long bicycle ride in Oregon in September so I might need to go to Europe or Mexico in July.

EQUIPMENT UPDATE:
Went to Harry's hangar on Saturday -- we replaced the chain guard/guide -- actually, he did it -- that was like four bolts and by the time I could say "what kind of beer do you want?" he was DONE! I changed the oil and filter -- and it was nasty. Some nice rock bashed the crap out of one of my torx bolts on my skid plate so Harry drilled that out (and reattached with safety wire after all efforts to find one failed) -- I have to get to Bowlin this week, maybe Thursday (woo hoo! love those guys).

Discovered that my air filter was not perfectly in place -- and Harry helped me resolve an issue with the mounting bracket (first owner had substituted the wrong nut for the bracket and without a square captured nut, it was really hard to remove or reinstall the bracket that held the air filter in place).

License plate -- still broken.

Heel is healing up nicely -- the bruising completely resolved by Saturday and entire ankle now feels back to normal.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:51 PM   #26
Jenn OP
praise seitan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5boomers View Post
Hi Jenn nice RR I didn't know you took so many pictures, a good rider for sure on that Suzuki, you would be dangerous on a 450.
Thank, Frank! If you have one to loan - maybe I should meet you in the desert for a test!
Old 04-15-2014, 08:58 PM   #27
Harry94025
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Hi Jenn,

You forgot to mention the rhinestone kitty stickers...

(Seriously though, Jenn outrides me and probably most of the people on this forum. She commutes to SF daily on that DR, then takes it to Mexico or cross-country on trips. )

And thanks for the beer!

Harry
Harry94025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:06 PM   #28
Jenn OP
praise seitan!

My friend Scott watched the video I took of Felix riding my DR up Mengel pass because I was too tired and said "THAT is your DAILY COMMUTER?!?!" -- he was kind of freaking out over that. LOL!

Yep, same motorcycle! Does lots of stuff. Very convenient. :)