Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2014, 12:50 PM   #451
deanos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Thanks, everyone for the advice. It certainly has given us some things to think about. We're not adverse to cold weather riding - we just got in from our first Northern Ohio ride of the year and it was 35-40 degrees which is what we anticipated some of our rides in the UP would be like in May. What's concerning us is your reports of excessive snow that still may be out there the second week of May, especially on the back roads and trails. Keep those reports and advisement's coming as we're not totally off of this trip yet. We're just more hesitant now and we'll have a backup plan.
deanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:42 PM   #452
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanos View Post
Thanks, everyone for the advice. It certainly has given us some things to think about. We're not adverse to cold weather riding - we just got in from our first Northern Ohio ride of the year and it was 35-40 degrees which is what we anticipated some of our rides in the UP would be like in May. What's concerning us is your reports of excessive snow that still may be out there the second week of May, especially on the back roads and trails. Keep those reports and advisement's coming as we're not totally off of this trip yet. We're just more hesitant now and we'll have a backup plan.
Ahh I wouldn't sweat it, we have as much snow as anyone in the UP and we are a few hundred miles north of there.

Except for some sheltered areas it will all be gone by the third / fourth week in April and even the sheltered areas will be snow free by the first/second week of May. Lakes on the other hand may not be ice free until mid May but and free flowinf rivers will be.

Find us on Spot http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...YGllfEZqqxYWcA
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #453
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,219
The problem with trying to ride it too early, especially with the conditions this year, is that even though snow will be gone in many places, where it has been packed down on the roads that are also used for snowmobile trails it will sometimes last a lot longer making some paths treacherous or unusable.

From a previous late April trip during a normal year:

Same trip, different spot.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:16 AM   #454
MQT backcountry
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Spring is delayed

Was skiing yesterday in 8" of fresh snow (on top of several feet) North West of Marquette. Another 8"-15" is on its way tonight. I'm 100% certain that the UPAT section through Marquette County is impassable due to snow. It is highly unlikely that there will be much riding until mid to late May at the earliest.
MQT backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:49 PM   #455
carl johansson
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Need some local knowledge!

OK so Cannonshot has convinced me, parts of this trip will be my late summer (think end of august - mid september) adventure.

I will be pulling the bikes (KLX300's, KTM XC-W 250, Husky 450, maybe a few other odds and ends (all street legal). From the Minnesota/ wisconsin side into the UP, where my brothers and other family can join up with me (I live in California, they are coming up from the Troy area).

I have my suburban pretty well outfitted as a camp vehicle, bed, stove, extra tents , Generator, propane water heater, window mount AC units if nessisary - essentially I want to set up a base camp, ride and fish the area for a week or so, then maybe move to another base camp and repeat.

So I guess the first thing I am looking for is suggestions for a good site to set a base camp. The ideal camp would have nothing more than a hose bib, I could hook the shower to, don't need anything else. Absent a hose bib, I would have to throw a pump into a creek or lake and pull water from there.

Any suggestions for good location for base camps, near the routes outlined here, and close to some trout streams and rivers?

Carl Johansson.
carl johansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:50 AM   #456
luftkoph
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanos View Post
Are there any recommendations for safe and legal overnight parking for my truck near the eastern side of the UP route? We're planning on doing a 4-5 day loop.

PM sent
luftkoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:21 AM   #457
Greener73
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Can anyone guess if this trail will be ridable June 20th?
Greener73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #458
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener73 View Post
Can anyone guess if this trail will be ridable June 20th?
Yes it will.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:22 PM   #459
zig06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
New ORV sticker prices

Not sure if this has been covered yet, but the ORV sticker prices have gone up this year.

1. If your bike has a license plate your good on any "named" gravel road.
2. If you venture onto 2 track roads (and fire roads) it's 50/50, if that 2 track is NOT designated as a road then you need to have the $26.25 off-road sticker.
3. If you attempt to ride on a single track ORV trail (less than 42" wide) then you need the $26.25 off-road sticker AND the $10 trail permit (sticker).

Sorry if I repeated anyone, all the ORV changes this year are confusing enough without me adding to it.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:05 PM   #460
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

To eliminate confusion:

If you ride the primary route you need both stickers.

If you ride the big bike route you need no stickers.

My advice is to buy both stickers and not worry about whether or not you need them. The money goes to promote our recreational interest.

Map of State Designated Trails and Routes where you need to have the ORV License $26.25 and the Trail Permit $10.00: https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/1,1607,...8330--,00.html .

You also need both the ORV License and Trail Permit on designated ORV Scramble/Use Area (ie St Helen's Motorsports Area, Silver Lake State Park).

Exceptions: An ORV license or Trail Permit is not required for street-licensed vehicles used on the frozen surface of public waters or designated ORV routes. Drummond Island requires vehicles plated or not to have the ORV License and Trail Permit (there is an exception for land-owners on the island).

In other words, a dual-sport motorcycle with a Secretary of State License plate needs an ORV License and Trail Permit to ride on State-designated trails, not State Designated Routes. There is no situation that a rider can buy only the $10.00 Trail Permit, it is an add-on to the $26.25 ORV License.

Anytime a rider operates an ORV off of private property they need to have at least the ORV License.

A passenger car doesn’t fit the definition of an ORV so it doesn’t need an ORV License:

Legal Definition of an ORV and Types of ORVs
MCL 324.81101 (m) defines an ORV as “a motor driven off-road vehicle capable of cross-country travel without benefit of a road or trail, on or immediately over land, snow, ice, marsh, swampland, or other natural terrain. ORV includes, but is not limited to, a multi- track or multi-wheel drive vehicle, an all- terrain vehicle (ATV), a motorcycle or related 2-wheel, 3-wheel, or 4-wheel vehicle, an amphibious machine, a ground effect air
cushion vehicle, or other means of transportation deriving motive power from a source other than muscle or wind.” This does not include registered snowmobiles, farm vehicles used for farming, a vehicle used for military, fire, emergency, or law enforcement purposes, vehicles owned by energy producers or utilities and used to maintain their facilities or on their easements, logging vehicles used in logging or registered aircraft.

Feel free to email or call me or Rob Katona with any questions,

Christopher Koren
General Office Assistant
Michigan Department of Natural Resources
1990 US Hwy 41 S, Marquette, MI 49855
ph. (906) 228-6561
fx. (906) 228-5245
Old 05-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #461
carl johansson
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Black flies, Skeeters? no-see ums?

can i expect insect troubles in mid august?
carl johansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:50 PM   #462
InTheMuck
So it goes...

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl johansson View Post
Heck yeah!

“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list."
InTheMuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:59 PM   #463
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl johansson View Post
Nothing unusual or particularly bad. Just use insect repellent like you would in any forest. Keep in mind that it can still get pretty cool in August. We had temps in the 30s one morning on an August CannonTrek there one year.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:02 PM   #464
Beardoge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Cannon can you give some advice please. 4 of us are riding this counter clockwise starting from St.Ignace.

Leaving on Saturday June 28th.. and trying to complete in 4 full days. So if its about 300 miles a day which I understand is a lot but can your give some town with motel information where you think it would be a good place for use to stop each night....
Beardoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #465
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardoge View Post
Cannon can you give some advice please. 4 of us are riding this counter clockwise starting from St.Ignace.

Leaving on Saturday June 28th.. and trying to complete in 4 full days. So if its about 300 miles a day which I understand is a lot but can your give some town with motel information where you think it would be a good place for use to stop each night....
Pretty ambitious schedule. (FWIW the CannonTreks are about 300 a day on small-medium DS bikes)

Ignace to Gwinn (moderate day)

Gwinn to Houghton-Hancock (not beyond, just to) (very long day)

Houghton-Hancock to tip and then back to Marquette (very long day)

Marquette to St Igance (moderate day)