ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2014, 07:27 AM   #10426
rbsride365
Hi-Viz

Oddometer: 360
Romney

So... Anyone on this thread headed to the Romney WV adventure rally thing the first weekend of May? I was thinking of heading down. Sounds like it could be a good weekend w/ a large gathering and lots of different ride options. Free camping and some free food? If it's not your thing I understand. Was just wondering. Sometimes these things w/ other people are fun. Sometimes they're not. Thought I'd give it a shot. Looks like it could be a good time. There is apparently a thread on here about it and there is the one on Stromtrooper where I discovered it. Anyone? Probably leave Friday May 2nd early sometime.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:28 AM   #10427
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by qman8 View Post
Wow...My statement had absolutely NOTHING to do with DUI, drunk driving or anything relating to the matter. My initial statement was really intended as a light-hearted jab at yours. I dont disagree with anything you say above, or your opinion. There is no reason to think that I am countering you on any statement.

I make fun of people as much as the next guy, and I condemn others actions, but I do not condemn the person, for an instant, nor for the rest of his life. This is my only point. Sorry for any confusion. I feel really bad that people may have taken this the wrong way...like I was supporting the guy's actions. Can we move on to motorcycles now?
Nobody????? Wow......tell that to the IRS!
I'm okay with moving on. Just to clarify, though, I got your point. I recognize you were not defending the drunk, only saying that wishing them ill was evidence of poor character on my part. My point was that the drunk is making a conscius decision and by doing so is essentially wishing everyone else ill, so why not throw some hate back at him? I despise drunk drivers and I have no problem with them taking themselves out, nor do I think that my lack of giving a shit about their death (or paralysis) makes me a monster.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:43 AM   #10428
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
I did that on a trip west. I was woke up by the sound of a tractor trailer pulling in to park beside me. Forgot I was parked, woke up grabbing the steering wheel in terror. Of course the chain reaction caused my sleeping brother to experience the same adrenaline rush filled sweat inducing I think I shit myself moment.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Dude, when I was still living in Mt Gilead but driving to Uhrichsville for work (93 miles) every day, I took a nap quite often on my way home. On quite a few instances I would awaken with a start and realize I was behind the wheel, and start ripping it one way or the other while screaming. In the winter it was worse because I would leave the car running and that really made me think I was still motoring down the road since the gauges and lights were on. I'm pretty sure I took a few years of use off my heart from the subsequent blood pressure spikes and pulse quickening.

Haven't done that one yet. I pissed a friend off once because I parked it on the way back from pataskala. I was working nights and Sat we went to pick up a couple FAL receivers. I had 2 hours of sleep since 4pm the day before and by 9pm my body wasn't having anymore of that being awake shit. He drove back and got over it.

I did have a few "oh shit" moments when I drove OTR. I woke up once in a good wind storm thinking I forgot to set the brakes on the truck,ripped through the sleeper curtain and ripped the knob off the dash.

Again,with Meef. I've drove OTR and otherwise for about 10 years now. I can't count the fatal accidents I've seen or came up on firsthand. I tried to help a few.. meef can probably relate here.. but when you find a car of what used to be 4 people no thicker than a foot with limbs and beer cans laying around,you tend to lose sympathy along with your lunch for the asshat that drove drunk. That shit sticks with you. That one wasn't even the worst I've seen either. While I won't wish these idiots harm,I don't have any sympathy for them either.

Danjal screwed with this post 04-17-2014 at 08:00 AM
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:57 AM   #10429
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
I did have a few "oh shit" moments when I drove OTR. I woke up once in a good wind storm thinking I forgot to set the brakes on the truck,ripped through the sleeper curtain and ripped the knob off the dash.
Ha!

A fun trick with sleepy friends is to get in behind one of those semi tractors towing another semi tractor backwards, and then slam on the brakes and start screaming. They wake up, hear you screaming, see a semi heading right at them, and hilarity ensues.

Sort of related, I had an auxiliary guy with me several years ago who kept dozing off in the passenger seat at like 2am, which is fine, he's not getting paid anyway- though it is a little dangerous for both of us. I drove to the empty fairgrounds and suddenly slammed on the brakes and leapt out of the car, ran around the corner of a building, screaming: "Stop! Drop the fucking gun!" A few seconds later here comes the auxiliary guy, gun out, running around the corner after me, totally bewildered as to where he was and what was going on. I give him props for snapping into alertness so fast, though if it had been a legitimate situation he would have had no idea where he was to call for help. He found me just around the corner, laughing my ass of at him. He stayed awake the rest of the shift.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:04 AM   #10430
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,316
I did that before in a parking lot. Head right at a semi and slam on the brakes screaming. They were not amused..

Ever see a semi autocross before? That was pretty fun. Worst bit was I placed middle of the line up for times at the end.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #10431
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
I about fell off my bike freaking out one night last fall riding home from Atlanta. Pulled off on 71 at a rest stop and put my head on the tank and went to sleep. A gust of wind woke me up and for a split second i thought i was still riding down the road.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:11 AM   #10432
BigArn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
I use to nod off in the mornings when I was touring with a bunch of guys. Every damn morning I would be fighting it and fighting it. Every now and then my eyes would close and then open and being scared out of my skin. I drank coffee and high energy drinks with no help at all. Eventually I would get out of that funk and it would be okay from then on, but that first leg in the mornings would be terrible.
BigArn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #10433
Jon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,073
Tag

Green Leaf Park, Medina Line, Sharon Township,Medina County.

Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #10434
rbsride365
Hi-Viz

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipChip View Post
Yeah, so far the only thing I dislike about the helmet (aside from the $$$)
is the first detent for cracking the visor is too far open.
Glad you like it. It really is an awesome lid. One of the nicest helmets available anywhere that's for sure. What color did you get? I would have gone for the HiVis. Go figure.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:43 PM   #10435
Honda501
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
are you now parking bikes in your breeze-way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post

I have lost track of the number in your garage.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:43 PM   #10436
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
jeeze man, how many bikes do you have now?
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:46 PM   #10437
Honda501
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Jon, i hope you are riding out to get the Farnsy tag next! Been sitting there all week and with no action.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:22 PM   #10438
Jon
Adventurer

Next

Old 04-17-2014, 02:28 PM   #10439
Jon
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgbgt89 View Post
jeeze man, how many bikes do you have now?
Not quite all of them yet.

This one probably won't be staying too long though. It was sitting neglected in a parking lot for, from what I am told, over a year when I rescued it.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:29 PM   #10440
Jon
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda501 View Post
Jon, i hope you are riding out to get the Farnsy tag next! Been sitting there all week and with no action.
Boring ride to get it......