Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 05:22 AM   #241
airhead_irl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Fantastic read ! (Took me 2 days of sneaking it in during jobs in work !).
I love the subtle but unique colour choice. The old aircooled VeeDubs made nice
background scenery too !
1980 Honda C90ZZ
airhead_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #242
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
I know you're all on the edge of your seats wondering, "Boy, how does all that BLING hold up in a foggy coastal environment?" "Bet you have to keep after it every day."

Well, no, I've let it go about 6 months. Stored this winter in a damp place, no cover. The sun came out today, a spring training game was on the radio, and it seemed a good time to refresh the shine. Here's the before:

Looks like my bike pulls some pussy:

And after 4 innings (note the time stamps--camera is set to do so for an odd job Muriel and I share):

It's not perfect--there's some stuff that's hard to reach with the frame in the way and all that, but that's just a little patina growing and whatnot.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #243
Krantz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
The seat

Awesome bike! May I ask you what was delivery charge for the seat?
Krantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:08 AM   #244
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

So connecting some dots here--I had some trouble with pinging, discussed here, and what I found was that the timing was fairly different from side to side. I had one "F" that rose in the window and then went out of sight, making way for another "F." I only saw this if I let the revs rise slowly whilst shining the strobe. If I just zinged the throttle, I'd miss the first "F." It may have been pinging only on one side. I understand that causes of floating or multiple timing marks can include bent cam noses or worn timing chains, so I started with the cam nose. DI all set up:

Sorry about the glare:

Running it around several times got me to a deviation on the order of .005". As point gap is barely 3X that, I think that would explain a lot of my problem. Meanwhile, I've come into a gently used Dyna ignition at a spouse approved price. Looking at it and the Dyna instructions, I come to realize that it's extra special, as it's a D35-2 for dual plug. I'm not dual plugged presently, but if the heads need work someday, it's on the list. Meanwhile, how to accommodate the wiring? From the directions, it appears that rather than two 6 volt coils in series, it instead wants two 12 volt coils in parallel. I have some of those, genuine German Bosch:

And they fit the OG coil brackets! So I spent an afternoon doing the install and fussing over the static timing, then reinstalled the tank and fired it up. Timing is now the same on both sides per the strobe, at idle and at "F." As for the riding, I'm happy to report that the Dyna slices, dices, and fillets like nothing else. Fired right up, idles smoothly, no ping going up a 6% grade at an indicated 75 (had to back off as I was catching up to CHP) in 5th, and a vibe that ran through the handlebar at ~3200rpm (round town in 3rd gear) with the points is now conspicuously absent.

Heeding all the warnings about those devil electronics, I am packing the old points ignition and wiring to make it work with the parallel 12V coil setup into my toolkit. I did the same thing for my Kombi when I converted it to a Pertronix setup 10 years ago. It really sets the tone, and makes the new ignition straighten up and fly right, knowing it can be replaced at any time.

To respond to Krantz--I have no idea what the seat shipping ran--'twas a gift.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #245
darklight79
scaffold builder

Oddometer: 415
you ready

for a rear rack and boxes ?? stu
darklight79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #246
darklight79
scaffold builder

Oddometer: 415
I got my old r80/7 back on clist last week been sitting the last eleven years back on the road again .So i will be putting the boxes and rack back where the belong . it did have a set of plastic krausers you can have if you want them FREE stu .....
darklight79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:08 AM   #247
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oh my, it's been a while! Thanks for the boxes, Stu! I had just the one functional Krauser and always felt funny going out with one bag. The Dyna ignition (thanks Blitz!) is fantastic and I've done nothing else to the bike all summer but wash it after riding on dirt roads. I did have a wee off last week, though. It is possible to lock a single 38mm ATE IF the road is properly lubricated, as in this pic:

The road was covered in redwood duff, still moist from some rain a couple days before. End result was this:

And this:

And Muriel insisted, and I concurred, that untreated crash damage was not 'patina.' So off to fixing I went!

The timing was right for a valve adjustment, anyway. Intakes were spot on (.004") and the exhausts were at .007" and .009", so good news there. I made a fixture for the valve cover:

And clamped it to the table and had at it with this ScotchBrite wheel:

With this result:

And after more cleaning and degreasing, and a coat of paint:

Good to go! On to the clutch lever. After some coarse sanding:

And progressively finer grades of sandpaper:

And a run on the buffer:

All set to be put away until next week's ride:

Well, almost all set. The left peg is bent back the tiniest bit. I'd leave it alone, but the Kinematic shifter feels out of place. Anyone out there ever straightened one of these out on the bike? Maybe a big cheater pipe slipped over the peg?
Old 09-22-2013, 07:08 AM   #248
atlthrux
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Hey, is that a potato cannon behind your bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
atlthrux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #249
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,014
Nice job on the cover and lever.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #250
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlthrux View Post
Hey, is that a potato cannon behind your bike?
Yes, it is. Launches spuds over the 100+' redwoods in the yard with a sharp crack when the charge is right. Do it at night, and there's a sweet blue flash out the muzzle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston
Nice job on the cover and lever.
Thanks!
Old 04-20-2014, 07:49 PM   #251
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yep, time for the spring re-bling. It was a regular season game this time, Giants at Padres, Lincecum pitching. Going from this:

To this:

Took the entirety of the 5th through the 8th innings.

I've been charging the battery, but probably should have done so last fall. It may be over for this one. I'd taken it out to see about hearing a $1500 Sportster run, and ran it down cranking that beast over.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:58 PM   #252
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,386
Your bike looks great, Melville.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:54 AM   #253
Jim K in PA
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Ernst looks great, Stu. Is there an end-of-season application that would help keep the corrosion at bay? Some WD-40 or some such?

I would also expect that you would need to address electrical connections from time:time for the same corrosive invasion.

Keep the updates coming!
<---clicky

1975 BMW R90S Hack - Olga
Olga's story - adopted 3/22/14<---clicky
Jim K in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:40 AM   #254
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,964
I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the effort, expertise, and resourcefulness you put into making that bike the looker it is now.

Thanks for that.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #255
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the effort, expertise, and resourcefulness you put into making that bike the looker it is now.

Thanks for that.
Thanks! Got some small refinements coming this summer.