Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2014, 08:26 AM   #481
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,731
....what's that saying..? Necessity is a Mother.....?!?! ...... or something like that

Nice invention!!
Old 02-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #482
Other Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
*** one thing always bugged me......removing the seat ***
Nice solution HardwareGrrl. I came across a similar mod last year which used a small brass quick-disconnect fitting from an air hose slid onto a seat post/pin from below. It could be reached just behind the right side cover without removing the cover, but was out of view. A short bit of braided wire to the frame kept the fitting from disappearing while disconnected.

Bob
Other Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:11 PM   #483
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,181
Not much going on here. I attempted a clutch swap, as in new perch and lever and switch but it didn't work out. Oh well the biggest reason was to go with a new switch. I've repaired the switch multiple times and was getting tired if it. BMW wants 104 for the switch, and I'm cheap. I had problems with the turn signals until I got a new internal switch from some if you guys. But the biggest gripe was the headlight switch. Sometimes it would work or not. I tried a bunch of different things to try and get it back but no luck. So I went ultimate Luddite.

A rotary switch!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Works a treat! But I'm anal, so I ordered a new switch anyway. This will be temporary.

hardwaregrrl screwed with this post 04-06-2014 at 01:14 PM
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:16 PM   #484
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,328
Should've gone with a dimmer, you know, like in the dining room!
Old 03-26-2014, 05:30 PM   #485
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,552
Nice Will a layer of silicone spray serve to conduct electrons everywhere? Or will it keep them safely tucked away? Either way, its like a trade off. Waterproof grease on them will keep water off it, but keep every mother of every piece of dust for a hundred miles in every direction on it.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:47 PM   #486
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Nice Will a layer of silicone spray serve to conduct electrons everywhere? Or will it keep them safely tucked away? Either way, its like a trade off. Waterproof grease on them will keep water off it, but keep every mother of every piece of dust for a hundred miles in every direction on it.
Yeah....I know...... My problem was the springs and divots where the tiny ball bearing ride were wallowing out. And on my headlight switch the slot where the c clip holds it in place has spread. I just wore the shite out of it.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:50 PM   #487
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

I believe that small divot is called a "detente" in the parlance. Trivia of the day. Has a political meaning thats similar to its mechanical function.

APpropo of nothin. Just showing off the big brain
Old 04-06-2014, 05:38 AM   #488
Nanuq
Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
So....I guess it's about time I stopped clogging other peoples threads and just tell you how it is. And let's just start out with a BANG....here's what I've been doing.

I came to look for an R80ST in November of 2006. The Long way round boys got their hooks into me...I had forgotten about my dirtbike roots as that's where it all began. At the tender age of 12, my mom married a southern boy, southern boy takes us home to his mama in the country, new cousin has an XR80, rest is history.

I realized that my new job, MSF RC, was going to involve a lot of traveling and my R75 cafe was not going to be able to haul all my stuff and be comfy. I found the bike in the summer of '07...and this is how it looked.

The guy was in his late 70's, was a union electrician, and was running out of gas at the same spot in the middle of nowhere Nevada. This was his solution.

P1040517

mark1305 now has the honor of owning this tank... I couldn't grip it and my knees were always hanging in the breeze.

So I got myself an HPN tank after nearly a year wait...and the bike began to morph. Here it is with Bgoodsoil's bike

DSC05876

I began to get better taking this big beast off road, and soon began exploring. Here we are on the Trans lab.

But I began exceeding some things on the bike. I began bending fork tubes, and it got pretty expensive. So I relented and took some advice from Bgoodsoil.....and it was rather frightening. I put a DR650 triple, wheel, and forks on the bike and had the shock rebuilt to match the R80G/S height.

It was a lot better, and the braking was pretty awesome compared to the stock caliper. But, I still felt like it was missing something....namely the stock steering. I began to do more single track stuff and missing the steering lock on the BMW triples....and the drawings for the HPMGuy triples to fit WP5060's were back up....and Guy was making a few new runs of the triple. I couldn't pass it up any longer.

I had help from Brad and Beater with this project, and had issues with head bearings shaking loose.....but have pretty much sorted it now.

I then began setting my sights on goals, namely life goals this past year. I'll be turning 40 on thanksgiving, and I didn't accomplish what I thought I would've by 40, namely motorcycle racing. I began poking stagehand about the rally stuff. He's been trying to get several of us onboard....and I believed it was my time. So I've raced 2 rallys this year. RAlly West Virgina, and Black River Stages. So, I still only have the ST and want to be able to race it, teach off of it, and travel with it....and so far so good. Had a few issues but nothing I couldn't repair.

Since I've owned the bike, I have done the following to it.

Dual plugged
heads refreshed twice, second time by our own Carl
Also the flyingtpot sidestand
Omega 450w alternator
R80 G/S bars
Wilbers 642 shock
Dr650 forks and triples
WP 5060 Extremes forks
HPMGuy triples
Nice Brembo 2pot caliper with SS line
KTM 21" wheel with 17mm axle
FD breather relocator
Rebuilt trans
Rebult the bings now running....
Mikuni 32mm flatsides (still working on jetting)
Odyessy pc680
TT IMO (fucking peice of expensive shit)
Currently: Trailtech striker (cheap peice of semi working shit)
ADVmonster LED aux lights
Fuzeblock
Tank cover and rebuilt scooped seat
Hepco Becker box racks and Afrika panniers that I've had reinforced, twice.
HID headlight in original shell
heated grips
swingarm bearings

I'm certain I've forgotten a lot, but that's the just of it.

Right now I would like to flip the rear brake, but have heard conflicting reports.
I would like to get the R80 Siebenrock power up kit....I need new rings I believe so why not.

Any advice appreciated......but I don't really fix things until I break them.
Sweet video !
2008 KLR 685- Iron Butt Association #44803
Trippin' in the Yukon & the AK!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
Nanuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #489
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Lighting....

I'm always fucking with it.....

End result:

Went with a series 8 Trucklite, and stuffed it into the stock bucket using a bungee and a new stone screen to keep it in. Gives off pretty good, albeit messy light. DOT approved.

I felt as though the LED headlight may out-light the turn signals, so I went for some hyperlites mounted high and outside.

Now I'm all lit up with very little power going out. Wasn't cheap, but I think it was worth it.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:07 PM   #490
Beater
Mighty Unclean

Oddometer: 3,111
Nice. I need to see that.

You got the Mikuni kit? Does it have some 170's in it?
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:59 PM   #491
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
Nice. I need to see that.

You got the Mikuni kit? Does it have some 170's in it?
I'll check.....
Old 04-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #492
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,981
Since I'm the proud owner of that modded tank, I keep looking at what they did wrong - the welding and paint work is supreme. Likewise, my knees are blocked out by the pods.

Looking at the shape of the extra side pods, I wonder if they should be cut off and swapped side to side to better follow the standard BMW flare (narrow top to wider bottom.

I have the stuff to try it, but there are more urgent cut and weld tasks for the jeep and the new centerboard for the sailboat, so any such experiments are way out in the future.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:13 PM   #493
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Whoops....

...thank god no one was driving or walking by when my left spark plug decided to take off. And man, that was a loud ass BANG!!!

That thing shot so far I couldn't find it......I hopped off the bike and instantly started laughing. I knew this was going to happen as the threads have been cross threaded for a while now. I collected all the parts to take the head off and do the pushrod tube seals at the same time. I got lucky and found a Helicoil branded repair kit for around 40$ at General hardware.....the price tag had to be from the 80's. I laughed because 9 years earlier, I broke down on my first airhead, a '70 75/5.....on the other side of the street heading the other way. It resulted in a trailer ride home.

I got on the horn and Mike was soon on his way. I pushed the bike up the hill and off of Whitefoord...got more in the shade and out of the way. He rolled up on the KLR, and I hopped on as he stayed with my bike. At home I hooked up the trailer, ditched my motocross boots as I can't drive in them, and put the KLR on the trailer. Swaparoo of bikes and I'm on my way home to tear into the head.

I had an interesting turn of events on the drive home....

Fucker just bent.....whatever...another belly laugh. It shows I'm getting older, harder to light my fire.

In 10 minutes I had it torn apart and had to leave to meet a friend I'd not seen in 5 months.......

Hard to see I know, but there was NO threads left to tell the tale.

After I figured out how to bear hug the jug , I went to work.

Resting my head....

Folks, I know it's been said that this is possible to do without removing the head. But after careful inspection of the inside of the jug, I will never do it with the head on. Using the grease is great to keep the chips on the tap, but they also collect at the top of the tap. And with the grease acting as a glue, it's difficult to suck or blow them out of the jug, as I noticed they had collected around the rim of the spark hole. Almost like a mushroom effect......yikes!

Piston ring bit me....

Result! Although I stupidly did not have any high temp RTV and used red loctitie 300f, it did the job and I was able to ride to work in the morning.

The scope creep continued, and I was soon ordering ss brake lines for my car. I noticed a spongy pedal and found my rubber lines had swallowed an egg. This bike has taught me so much, as though it screamed " take me apart and figure out how to fix me".....I'll attack just about anything mechanical and even electrical.

hardwaregrrl screwed with this post 04-27-2014 at 07:28 PM
Old 04-27-2014, 07:36 PM   #494
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Old 04-27-2014, 08:28 PM   #495
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,731
Dam. You never cease to amaze !