Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #16
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre170 View Post
Vorgoingon/vorwerkingon..... "Before Going On"/"before working on"? Is my horrid translation correct?

I call that a smart man's idiot switch.

Is that simply an inline battery cut-off switch? If so, how beefy (current rating) is that switch? I'd think that when starting the bike, you'd pull enough juice to toast that switch...no?
Your translation is pretty good for Padmeigerman - it's really just phonetic 'for going on' etc.

That switch is my security device. I don't have a key so it just cuts power to the same similar circuits as the key would have. Unfortunately I am one of THOSE PO that messes around with the wiring. In fact I dislike standard BMW wiring so much I get rid of half of it & run the basics.

I'd agree with Cy about the battery terminals when making a new one up. I cut one side of my box down but also have some foam as a buffer in case it gets dislodged.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #17
SeikoKid OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Would anyone be able to show me what their seat base looks like , I think I found someone who can help but would be great to see some finished units for guidance please
SeikoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:49 PM   #18
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
You can get a good lithium battery for $100-150. not free, but I paid $105 for my stock lead battery...
Old 09-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #19
flying_finn
motomessiah.blogspot

Oddometer: 146
How about mounting the battery up under the tranny. This should help you obtian a lower CG thus better handling.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:25 PM   #20
rymore
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre170 View Post
I made a little box (painted it black) for mine and mounted it under my seat. I'm still able to use my stock 2 person seat.

This is a great idea! I wanted to get a Lithium battery for my seat hump, but with the high price and all the mixed reviews on Lithium batteries in the cold, I think I'll be doing something similar to this.

It's obviously not as hidden as under the seat hump, but compared to other alternatives this looks great, and allows me to keep my centre stand.

Thanks for posting the pic!
rymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:17 PM   #21
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by rymore View Post
This is a great idea! I wanted to get a Lithium battery for my seat hump, but with the high price and all the mixed reviews on Lithium batteries in the cold, I think I'll be doing something similar to this.

It's obviously not as hidden as under the seat hump, but compared to other alternatives this looks great, and allows me to keep my centre stand.

Thanks for posting the pic!
A friend fabbed up a quick little aluminum box for me that straddles the subframe rails. The battery sits taller than the subframe, more than I intended, but I'm coming up with a different seat anyway. Access to the battery is simple, it's in a nice protected spot, it's relatively hidden, and the existing battery cables were long enough.

I'll see if I can find a photo.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:21 AM   #22
rymore
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knary View Post
A friend fabbed up a quick little aluminum box for me that straddles the subframe rails. The battery sits taller than the subframe, more than I intended, but I'm coming up with a different seat anyway. Access to the battery is simple, it's in a nice protected spot, it's relatively hidden, and the existing battery cables were long enough.

I'll see if I can find a photo.
That would be nice to see if you can find a picture.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:22 AM   #23
knary
sunshine and puppies

I made a mock up in cardboard and gave it to a friend to weld up. I made it clear that i needed something that worked, not a piece of art. It may get replaced in the future, but probably not. As I mentioned, it sits higher than I intended, but one nice side effect is that it leaves the posts on the battery I'm using above the subframe. I can unhook the ground quickly without interference. My original planned height was about a 1/4" lower and had the battery flush with the bottom of the seat pan with the document holder removed (I never ever use those). FWIW, this battery is roughly the same size as batteries like the PC680 at 3" tall when laid flat.

I can not quite run the stock fender with this particular design in place. I had the back end closed to keep it from becoming a catchall for debris depending on what i choose to do for a rear fender.

Goodbye Toolfan
Old 04-16-2014, 02:37 PM   #24
rymore
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knary View Post
I made a mock up in cardboard and gave it to a friend to weld up. I made it clear that i needed something that worked, not a piece of art. It may get replaced in the future, but probably not. As I mentioned, it sits higher than I intended, but one nice side effect is that it leaves the posts on the battery I'm using above the subframe. I can unhook the ground quickly without interference. My original planned height was about a 1/4" lower and had the battery flush with the bottom of the seat pan with the document holder removed (I never ever use those). FWIW, this battery is roughly the same size as batteries like the PC680 at 3" tall when laid flat.

I can not quite run the stock fender with this particular design in place. I had the back end closed to keep it from becoming a catchall for debris depending on what i choose to do for a rear fender.

Thanks for posting pictures!

That's exactly what I'm looking to do with mine. It's still fairly hidden without having to buy a Lithium battery. I like it! I'll be fabricating the same type of box.
Thanks for your help!
Old 04-16-2014, 03:11 PM   #25
east high
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 944
Where you crazy kids keeping your tools if the battery is using up that space?
Old 04-16-2014, 03:16 PM   #26
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by east high View Post
Kids don't need tools 'cause nothing bad ever happens to them.

Us old geezers remember all the shit that has happened and carry too much!
Old 04-16-2014, 03:24 PM   #27
nmalozzi
airheaded

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
i'm guessing the solution looks something like this (if they are carrying any):

Full Disclosure: I own 2 Chrome industries bags. 1 messenger, and 1 backpack. They make super high quality products, and I have been called a "hipster". So I'm not poking fun here... well maybe I am.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:47 PM   #28
knary
sunshine and puppies

Quote:
The tool roll goes where the battery was, of course.

Translation: it's a work in progress. I know, for reasons silly and vain, I didn't want to have that block of a battery dominate the look of the bike. Every other decision flows from there.

Goodbye Toolfan
Old 04-21-2014, 05:07 PM   #29
Evo1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Does anyone know if there is a kit for our bikes? Surely with all the custom airheads going round, someone creative would start making these for sale?
Evo1 is offline   Reply With Quote