Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2014, 07:49 AM   #16
neepuk OP
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
.. It is for 'anti smog' .. some sort of 'clean air' thing... most people spend money removing the fittings ... and then plugging the hole. (it is only in the exhaust tract)

Neepuk- internet + mail order is your friend. Get your self the regular maintenance things + ware items - cables, brake pads and some gaskets for oil replacements oh and of course the oil filter and air filter. You may find them as a 'kit' - can be cheaper that way.
Done. I've got two spare oils filters, one air filter, crush washers, rotor brushes, and a few other items on hand. I keep a close eye on brakes and will pick them up as needed, and all my cables are new as of a couple months ago.

I try to avoid internet ordering and mail order parts as much as possible. Having worked at motorcycle dealerships in the past and seeing them go out of business, and good people losing their jobs doing what they love and are passionate about, I choose to give my business to the closest good dealership that sells what I'm looking for at a reasonable price. I don't want my local dealer to be gone when I really NEED them one day. For my BMW parts I use Grand Junction BMW exclusively. Their parts guy is awesome, stocks quite a good supply of airhead parts and knows the bikes VERY well. They provide me with a great pricing structure and take the time to get to know their customers. I'll continue to pick up factory parts from there whenever possible. For my KTM and dirtbike parts and accessories I use KTM Of Aspen in Glenwood Springs. Same story, they know my name when I walk in the door, know what I ride (they sold it to me a few months ago), have great stock on hand of parts and accessories, offer great pricing and usually discount my purchases at the counter. The internet can't compare with quality customer and personal service that I've found in my two favorite shops so I will continue to do my part to keep them in business.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:17 AM   #17
FrankR80GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100RT View Post
Sorry but your mistaken. The system was introduced during the 11-79 build dates.
Yes, you are right. Sorry for the mistake. I didn't know that BMW introduced the SLS so much earlier in the US. Does anybody know on the reasons? Was that by law? What about other brands to that time?

Many riders in Germany disabled the system since it caused trouble with synchronisation and idle running.
FrankR80GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:20 PM   #18
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,175
Spit out a bolt.

My 81 g/s has that system. I removed it and put in an R1150 drain bolt and crush washer. Got the engine nice and hot and gave it one more eighth turn. It flows fresh air to the exhaust port to ignite any remaining fuel. Unburnt fuel vapor being a major contributor to smog. Search for pics of Los Angeles air in the 1950s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace[/SIZE]
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:38 AM   #19
CptImagine
NCC-1701-B

Oddometer: 127
Word had it in the day, California specs required the system for pollution . Supposedly all MCs sent here US had the system, from around 1980 . BMW on their dime removed the systems if requested . I have about 20lbs. of the stuff in a box .
CptImagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:41 AM   #20
globalt38
Swimmin W/Waterwings

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptImagine View Post
Word had it in the day, California specs required the system for pollution . Supposedly all MCs sent here US had the system, from around 1980 . BMW on their dime removed the systems if requested . I have about 20lbs. of the stuff in a box .
CA basically drives the U.S. Auto industry specs - particularly emissions wise. They pass a law requiring something or "no selly here" and the rest of the U.S. gets it by default!

"If you want to be happy for a Day, Drink. If you want to be happy for a Year, Marry. If you want to be happy for a lifetime, Ride a BMW!"
You can have my Airhead when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!
globalt38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:18 AM   #21
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100RT View Post
My 81 R100RT spit one of those out years ago but sadly it took the threads with it. Had a machinist make new bolts with heavier threads and loctited them in. Still holding and I see no reason to ever remove them.
Good luck
I do see a reason to remove them during head rebuilds in order to properly clean the heads. Through customer's bikes and my own, I have dealt with a lot of these for a lot of miles. They need nothing to stay in place but a aluminum crush washer, anti-seize, and proper torquing. Proper torque? Look up what the sump drain plug gets.

I don't believe Euro models had the system at least up til '85.

BMW has prided itself on being 'green' for years now. For instance, no one forced BMW into putting cats on oilheads but cats they do have. I don't think anyone forced BMW to use air pumps on their bikes. Not at first anyway but I don't know for sure. Ca. did force them into using their anti-evap system on their gas tanks and engines.

Complain about emission regulations? Go live in Peking!
supershaft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #22
neepuk OP
Such a drag...

Got an m-16 x 1.5 drain plug and crush washer from Napa. I used red locktite and torqued it to 26 lbs.... Done.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:11 PM   #23
Thorazine
Likes exhaust fumes

Oddometer: 628
Good!

Pic? Heard about the mod; I've never seen what they looked like patched up.

* Posts submitted under the moniker Thorazine are for entertainment purposes only, and may include exaggerations, prevarications or bald-faced lies. -- Thorazine - '74 R90/6
Thorazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:02 AM   #24
supershaft
because I can

I have seen so many troubles started just like this. Something comes loose for not being tightened properly. Then whatever gets over tightened with red Loctite. It's a sure road to stripping threads one way or another. I have seen this play out SO many times working with other mechanics. You can't win for losing.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:39 PM   #25
neepuk OP
Such a drag...

I'm sure glad I didn't over-tighten it then... All is well and I will most likely never have a reasonable need to pull the plugs out of there again. The other side was way tighter to remove than it is now and the threads are peachy-keen.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:19 PM   #26
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by neepuk View Post
I'm sure glad I didn't over-tighten it then... All is well and I will most likely never have a reasonable need to pull the plugs out of there again. The other side was way tighter to remove than it is now and the threads are peachy-keen.
Reasonable need to pull the plugs? Rebuilding the heads is a very reasonable reason to pull those plugs. They don't need Loctite and they don't need to be tightened that tight but other than that . . . ? Flawed method but hopefully whoever will be fine removing them when the heads need rebuilt. Those threads need anti-seize, not Loctite.

supershaft screwed with this post 04-22-2014 at 02:27 PM
Old 04-22-2014, 06:13 PM   #27
Tom48
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
My 81 R65 and my 83 R80RT had this
feature. I left the system intact when I sold both bikes
US motorcycles
Old 04-22-2014, 07:41 PM   #28
neepuk OP
Such a drag...

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Reasonable need to pull the plugs? Rebuilding the heads is a very reasonable reason to pull those plugs. They don't need Loctite and they don't need to be tightened that tight but other than that . . . ? Flawed method but hopefully whoever will be fine removing them when the heads need rebuilt. Those threads need anti-seize, not Loctite.
Seeing how locktite begins to release itself at temps between 300 and 400 degrees it pretty much acts as anti seize in the capacity in which I used it. If they need to come out they'll come out just fine with the engine warmed up or a little extra heat to them. I see where you're coming from, I really do, and I respect your concern. I'm just going to leave well enough alone and if I ever need the plugs to come out I'll be sure to pull then once they're well heated. All is well.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:15 PM   #29
ducsingle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
I've read about this happening before.

If I had the heads off, I would have those holes welded shut using an aluminum plug. Cost would be minimal.
ducsingle is offline   Reply With Quote